WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Anyone ever hear of Someone thru-hiking with a small dog???

I would like to bring my dog with me on my thru-hike come 2007. She is a chihuahua and only 3.5 pounds. Am i crazy for wanting to bring her with me? She hikes with me on a daily basis, but only about 6 or 7 miles a morning. Would the weather changes be too much for her? Any suggestions on really good dog coats that wil fit her if she was to come? Any suggestions would be great. thanks

For your dogs safety and health, leave her at home!
    Hike Safe
    Bayou

Have you considered "Dehydration" or "Freeze Drying" ? I'm sorry I couldn't resist.

Pilgrim of Serendipity

KRYS, I'm not a thru-hiker, and my own dog is considerably bigger, but here are some questions you might ask yourself:

1. How far do you plan to hike per day?
    2. Is your dog capable of day hikes that length? (If not, don't bring her.)
    3. How much is she normally bothered by heat and cold?
    4. How does she react to people she doesn't know? Animals? She's sure to meet lots of both!
    5. If she gets tired, are you willing to carry her, in your arms or in your pack?
    6. How much "dog gear" will you need including food, leash, coat, and anything else she'll need? How much will this weigh?

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

Hikers have brought cats that size and they end up ride'in on their pack,if your dog trees mice that would be a plus. Your call but with so many starving trekkers you know some would be plotting about wildernous stew

Have you read "Blind Courage"?
    Orient was a trained German Shepard. they had to stop on, I think, two occasions to let paws heal. The dog, on several occasions, refused to go on for more than a mile or two (early in the hike). Your dog will be taking about 10 steps for one of yours. Given the weight, just be prepared to carry the dog and food etc, for most of it.
    There are more than a few post on TrailJournals where people realise the pain and suffering on the animal, and send it home.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Section hiker 733 AT miles poison_ivy's Avatar

In 2003, I ran into a thru hiker named Tadpole who was thru-hiking with his very small dog, Twinkle Toes. I don't remember the breed, but I do remember she was small enough that he could scoop her up and carry her if need be. IIRC, his daily mileage was often determined by what Twinkle Toes could do... if the dog was starting to act tired it was time to camp whether Tadpole could keep hiking or not.

There are some areas that dogs are not allowed in... such as Baxter State Park & the Smokies so you'll have to make other arrangements there.

- Ivy

Images

Same sort of thing basically in " A Journey North: One Woman's Story of Hiking the A.T.". It wasn't a small dog, but it had lots of issues with weather and other people resulting in the dog getting shot and later sent home.

One of the weirdest experiences I ever had with a vicious dog on the trail was a chihuahua. I personally wouldn't recommend bringing one for a lot of reasons, but I have never tried to either.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

One of the weirdest experiences I ever had with a vicious dog on the trail was a chihuahua.

Please tell. I have to hear this. Course I don't like ankle biters anyway .....

Rock did the little fellow look like this??

I met someone hiking with a small dog, who claimed to be Thru Hiking. I deduced, from what he said, he was frequently hitching around long sections to keep up with friends.

I have lived and hiked with large and small dogs. Of major importance is the dog’s health. Age has an impact upon a dog’s health. It may be perfectly healthy for its daily routine yet fail during a distance hike. The breed is also of some consequence. I believe in general a small dog of a good breed, age, and health would have an advantage over a large dog, IF the dog doesn’t carry anything.

I am philosophically opposed to hiking with a dog.

Please don’t ask why some oppose hiking with dogs. There are volumes written on this topic, and it always turns ugly and becomes divisive.
    “The earth does not belong to man, man belongs to earth. ...
    Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it.
    Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.”

Quote Originally Posted by Vi+
    ...... I believe in general a small dog of a good breed, age, and health would have an advantage over a large dog, .........
    In my youth when I carried my spaniel with me on hikes I realized his legs where just too short to continuously climb over rocks, trees, and every thing else. A long legged dog has it all over a smaller, short legged one, when it comes to hiking. That said, Leave the dog at home and let him, along with other loved ones, see the pictures when you get back.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by corentin

Please tell. I have to hear this. Course I don't like ankle biters anyway .....
    OK, here goes...

THERE I WAS!

(you are all supposed to say no ****!)

It was 2000 and one and I was hiking SOBO on the AT. I was doing the section from NOC to Amicolola SP and had been in on the trail probably over a week at this point. I was heading down into Indian Grave Gap (in Georgia) and saw two women working on one of their backpacks. Now if you haven't hiked this section, you come down the trail as you go SOBO and there is a dirt road then a wide spot in the trail with a small clearing and then the trail goes up the hill on the far side to climb the next mountain.

The women were across the road and on the right side of the clearing. Running around the women's feet was a little chihuahua (not on a leash) going nuts at everything, I could just tell I was in for an attack.
    As I got to the road, the chihuahua saw me and gave a battle cry as it went to defend it's masters and temporary territory from the invading infidel that obviously was up to no good (me). Apparently the women agreed with the little dog (am I really that ugly?) because they made no move to restrain their fuzzy avenger from ripping me apart. The did scowl at me like I was deserving of whatever pain and embarrassment the little mastiff was about to lay upon me.

Of course I am a dog person and know that animals can sense fear and to respond would only solidify the decision of the dog and it's masters. So I screw up my courage and stride across the road to cross and continue on. Surely they will all see I am a man of integrity and mean them no harm. Well no luck. As I cross the road the mighty chihuahua intercepted me and starts trying to untie my shoelaces with all it's might, it must have figure if he ties them back together I will trip and fall or something equally clever and malicious. Cunning little runt!

But as a big macho hiker and combat soldier of this great country, I would not sink to assaulting such a small animal that only has noble intentions to protect the damsels of the forest, but I do remember saying something to the effect of "would you please get your dog" as I attempted to continue down the trail. I do not recall what was said next, but in hindsight I should have used all my skills and knowledge with (at that time) over 16 years of combat training to subdue the vicious critter. All I remember was they seemed to think I deserved it and that I better hike on or else!

Of course it finally drew blood, but at that time my mind was clouded with anger and indignation that my true intentions to simply hike through were never acknowledged. So given my intense emotional state I did not notice I was wounded. The thing that finally saved me from certain death was a CAR! Yes, a trans am came around the bend in the road and the chihuahua defender decided that I was a lesser threat at this point and went to subdue the even bigger fiend threatening it's owners. It raced away as I made my break for it up the hill. As I left, I heard screeching brakes, a car sliding, screaming, and a loud car horn. Not wanting any more of that I went ahead and left as I heard lots of yelling between the women and some man. To this day I honestly do not know if the dog was hit or not. I have a secret wish though. Can you guess what that is?
    Last edited by SGT Rock; 06-14-2006 at 15:37.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    As I left, I heard screeching brakes, a car sliding, screaming, and a loud car horn. Not wanting any more of that I went ahead and left as I heard lots of yelling between the women and some man. To this day I honestly do not know if the dog was hit or not. I have a secret wish though. Can you guess what that is?

Ahhhh, the sweet, sweet smell of karma! Hee, hee
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Default red blaze and lp

lp is thru hiking with his owner red b. i walked three weeks with them. lp,or low profile is a 4 lp chiwawa and is doing just fine thanks.
    matthewski

Default help my site was hacked by my son

my 16 year old attatched the rude quote to my posts. can i delete it?
    matthewski

Images

You need to go into your user control panel and change your signature, that is where the attachments are coming from.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone
    my 16 year old attatched the rude quote to my posts. can i delete it?
    Man oh man. What a loving and respectful teen.

Makes me wonder what planet they are on sometimes. I have an almost 16 yr old and he is definitely somewhere else. The Twilight Zone.

Hoping the thru hike next year will help him, ha ha

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Default bliss full of it

whats your start date my friend?im startin at the falls on the 18th of feb. how bout you? your post gives me peace. my son is twilite eppisode 47 in witch the children rise up and kill the adults.
    matthewski

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++