WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Exclamation oatsoats oatsoats oatsoats ahhhhh oats!!!!

ok so i bought a monster bag of organic oats and im trying to figure out how much one can eat in a single meal. As of now, i put 4 cups in a bag and labled it 7 days. the only way i could think of to figure this out was to put 3 instant oat packets into a measuring cup to see how much it was, cause from experience i can eat 2-3 of those things. Now 3 packets is just over 1/2 a cup, so figure 4 cups should be perfect for a week of breakfast meals... but i want someone to back me up or tell me otherwise. peace
    kai
    "let me die in my foosteps before i go down under the ground."

Images

A half cup of oats with raisens and brown sugar packs about 250 calories. This is my usual at home breakfast. Not much for caloric punch for cooking in the morning. But, I like an early start and so usually go with a cold breakfast. Don't foget to add a little bit of salt to the oats. You will want it. A bowl of boiled oats is not very tasty. In addition to salt, brown sugar, dried fruit, and powdered milk are good additions. You can also finely chop some nuts (peanuts, walnuts, cashews, etc) and add that as well. If your oats are not instant, you'll have to boil the oats for a couple of minutes and then let them sit for a couple of minutes before they will be ready. You may want to think about boosting the amount to 2/3 cup dried oats. Since you have a large bag, make up one or two different serving sizes at home.

You can also use your oats to make Hudson Bay bread, which is a really tasty treat. You can find recipes on the web.

I'm new to this, but it sounds like your estimate is low. I eat a half cup (dry measure) of oatmeal every morning at home, along with scrambled egg whites. I work out a lot, but my caloric needs are way below what they would be while hiking. I'm planning to double my breakfast calories on the trail (it really is the most important meal of the day!), probably to a full cup of oatmeal plus adding in dried fruit and powdered milk and such as kai suggested.

Yes, I know I mis-spelled "Hamster"...
    Images

I like cream of wheat better than oatmeal. Stir in maple syrup (real of course), dried apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, walnuts, and brown sugar. Matched with a mellow tea, a liter of tang, an almond joy, and vitamin and your ready to go!
    "A man builds a fine house; and now he has a master, and a task for life; he is to furnish, watch, show it, and keep it in repair, the rest of his days".
    ...Ralph Waldo Emerson

GA-ME Someday (Maybe '06?)
    Many Miles in Massachusetts & Vermont...

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

If oatmeal is all you're eating, 1/2 cup of oats might not be enough. My breakfasts (the warm one's) consist of a bag of oatmeal (1/2 cup) and a 2-pack of granola bars. That along with a cup fo coffee or glass of Tang and I'm ready to go.
    Keep in mind also that you're apetite grows as you hike. Most folks can't eat all that much at first. I think you're almost better going with a modest breakfast and then supplementing with snacks.
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

'slogger ole buddy... when you finally do catch up to me, I hope you've given up on your oatmeal ways, converted to the dark side and eat POPTARTS!!!!
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Moose ...did Poptarts in 2001 and never felt full. I admit they're faster and easier. Too late now for my first 8 days or so cuz meals are already packed. But once the weather warms up a but I may become a Poptart convert.
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Despite packing 400 calories per package, poptarts just don't give me much juice in the morning. Even two packages won't do it. And 2 packages weigh a lot for a meal that doesn't deliver the goods. Nutrigrain yogurt bars work fairly well, though. 3 bars deliver around 400 calories that seem to give me much more pep. Then again, you can almost always find poptarts in even the smallest store. I imagine I will be eating a lot this summer.

Talking

Poptarts never got me past about an hour and a half of hiking. Two packages of oatmeal, however, and I was good to go for about 3 hours. That's when I stopped to eat my first powerbar of the day!

BAT

Bloody Cactus MadAussieInLondon's Avatar

i luuurve porridge. the only downside i can see is washing the pot at the end once you have eaten out of it...

how well do sultanas + raisens / dried apricots keep in a backpack for? do they last a week? a day?
    -- [TrailName :: Bloody Cactus] --

I agree with RagingHampster on the Cream of wheat. I've eated it since the beginning of time. At least a bouble or triple serving on the trail....and lots of sugar. Best if made with powered milk instead of water.
    Are we having FUN yet?

SkyKing

Default Poptarts

Originally posted by chris
    Despite packing 400 calories per package, poptarts just don't give me much juice in the morning. Even two packages won't do it. And 2 packages weigh a lot for a meal that doesn't deliver the goods. Nutrigrain yogurt bars work fairly well, though. 3 bars deliver around 400 calories that seem to give me much more pep. Then again, you can almost always find poptarts in even the smallest store. I imagine I will be eating a lot this summer.
    Poptarts sure are good. But I suspect that the calories come mainly from sugar. For long lasting calories, get carbohydrates, like in oatmeal and cream of wheat.

In addition to whatever food I eat I like a double helping of hot chocolate in the am even on hot days. Hiking slowly for a half hour or so while sipping from my travel mug is a good warm up and the 500 calories are very handy.

Kai- With regular oats (not the instant or quick kind), run them through a food processor for a minute or so. This will help them cook faster on the trail.

Form Walton Feed;
    REGULAR ROLLED OATS -- Directions: For each serving, boil 3/4 cup water and 1/8 tsp salt. Stir in 1/3 cup oats (40 g dry). ---one serving is about 150 Calories

The packets of instant oat meal are; plain / 100 calories to Cinimon & Spice / 170 calories.

++ New Posts ++