WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default lightweight rect. sleeping bag ?

all the rectangular sleeping bags i have found seem far heavier than the mummy style sleeping bags. i understand there is more fabric and insulation in a rect. bag vs mummy but it doesn't seem like it would make it THAT much heavier. so i guess i am asking if anyone knows of a fairly cheap and light rect. bag that i could unzip and use as a quilt ? 2 pounds or under preferably ...
    "In the woods, too, a man casts off his years, as the snake his slough, and at what period soever of life, is always a child. In the woods is perpetual youth." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pilgrim of Serendipity

What kind of temperature rating do you want?

this will be a summer bag so 40+ should work ...
    "In the woods, too, a man casts off his years, as the snake his slough, and at what period soever of life, is always a child. In the woods is perpetual youth." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pilgrim of Serendipity

http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/cb/cb.asp?a=42327

There's this one, if you can live with +50F.

that is EXACTLY what i was looking for ... thanks !

except that it has been backordered until sept.

Images

Guide Gear is the same company that makes a wonderful camo tarp a lot of us hammock campers use.

Also right now sierratradingpost.com is having great sales on many of their sleeping bags at the moment.
    Life's too short not to have Credit Card bills...so Charge It!!!

nice prices at sierra ! but i don't see many rect. bags. however, i did see several other things of intrest. same with barginoutfitters ...

Pilgrim of Serendipity

http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/cb/cb.asp?a=226069

This one's the same thing, just a different color, and it looks like it's in stock.

I got the mummy version and like it so far, though I've only slept in it one night.

Berninbush, is the posted weight of 21 oz. accurate?

Pilgrim of Serendipity

I don't have a scale so I haven't actually weighed it, but that seems about right. I think that's listed as "fill weight" though, so the whole thing is probably slightly more, but not much. I just love how it rolls up so small.

I wouldn't use it for cold weather, at least not by itself, but it's perfect for summer.

i ordered one and will let you guys know the weight in 3-7 business days.

Pilgrim of Serendipity

Thanks, fivefour, and I hope you like it!

Maybe I can find a scale for mine before then. :-)

the bag came in today ... the weight with compression sack is 1.78 pounds so aprox. 29 ounces. it feels heavier and i think it's gonna work perfectly. no way to tell the warmth without testing so i will give you my ideas on that soon.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

I ordered the 'infantry' model also to use open as an adjunct to our homemade hiking quilt for colder trips and as an indoor bag for visiting grandkids. The geen is nearly a perfect match to the dark green side of my quilt.

The weight was 28.5 ozs. with sack. The sack alone weighs 2.5 ozs - that sack will be replaced by a lighter weight homemade nylon sack.

It seems well made and the only problems I saw were that it is difficult to zip without snagging the draft tube and it is a bit snug for this fluffy dino (29" Wide).

yeah, the only complaint i can see is the small zipper (do you measure zippers in gauge ?) ... i can see it getting snagged but like you dino, i plan to use it more as a blanket anyway. i actually went back to order more for friends (imagine their surprise in christmas morning !) but they are now sold out. there wasn't a backorder mentioned either so this may be the end of the $19.95 rect. sleeping bags. thanks for the heads up bernin' ! i now feel as tho i got in on a good thing before it ended.

Pilgrim of Serendipity

Quote Originally Posted by fivefour
    thanks for the heads up bernin' ! i now feel as tho i got in on a good thing before it ended.
    You're welcome. Hmmm, maybe I should have stocked up.....

Quote Originally Posted by berninbush
    You're welcome. Hmmm, maybe I should have stocked up.....
    i shall have to keep my eye on that site ...

++ New Posts ++