WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Walasi-Yi

Default Walasi-Yi

Anyone know if the hostel is operational this year? Any details?

Several hikers from the trailjournals site have written that they've been there so I would assume that it is.

I was up there today. The hostel is open.

slider

The Hostel is open and doing a great job... however..for the family and friends ..just a few steps from Walasi is the Blood Mt. Cabins..wonderful place to meet family..and stay in the comfort of cabins...

Default Great place!!

Just passed thru there a few days ago; hostel is up and running; they also have a big cabin for rent if the hostel is full.

Winton and his staff were WONDERFUL with the folks I was with; I saw Winton spend half an hour helping this older guy cut almost 50 (!!!) pounds from his pack. (And no, the "older guy" with the 84 pound pack was NOT me!)

Very happy to see that the new owners/management here are doing so well; this is the first Trail business that most folks encounter as they head North, and it's a terrific one.

Images

It will be great if Winton lives up to the reputation of Jeff and Dorthy. That would be an accomplishment but if Jack capitalizes WONDERFUL then it may happen!

Did Jeff and Dorothy Hansen retire, or move onto other projects? I dealt with them many times and found them to be wonderful people. I remember a couple of years ago that their lease had come up for renewal and there was a campaign to keep them as lease holders.

Any info would be appreciated! Thanks...

They live in Blairsville, Ga. and I hear Dorothy opened up a book store.

Images

Default Open for 2004

I stayed at the hostel here along with 8 others on Tuesday March 16th. Most of the people I had been hiking with either stayed here or hiked another mile or so to camp (if money was an issue). For me the bunk was worth the $15. I showered, microwaved dinner, and enjoyed the fellowship of my hiking friends. Several others washed clothes. This is not a Blueberry Patch, so if you only have cash for one bed a week, wait. But if you have the money, it's a great place to rest. I found it was a good place to get to know the folks I had been hiking with on and off for the past few days.

I am glad to see some good reviews of Winton's place. I live in Atlanta. I buy all my specialty gear at Neels Gap. Winton's selection is great..his prices are right AND his advice about gear is excellent. Because so many hikers pass thru his shop Winton knows when a new peice of gear has performance issues and he will advise you of this before you spend your money. A good example of this the new MSR Missing Link Tent. It is a very spacious..lightweight tent. It sets up with treking poles BUT you have to have the taller poles to make the tent pitch tightly. Most people own the shorter poles. The taller poles cost apprx $100 and they are heavier. This makes the tent too expensive and/or too heavy for some people. Being told this info up front allows you to make the best gear choice for you. This type of customer service really makes a difference if you are on a long hike.

excellent outfitter. so-so hostel. when youve been out in the cold for 3 or 4 days, its paradise.

Default Walesi-Yi

Can you "slack pack" into Walesi-Yi? That is, are there beds with mattresses and sheets (or should I bring my sleeping bag and thermarest?)

Sky Rider

(walessp)

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

[quote=Walessp]Can you "slack pack" into Walesi-Yi? That is, are there beds with mattresses and sheets (or should I bring my sleeping bag and thermarest?)
    =====================================
    No sheets ...just bunks with matresses and a place to shower. Better bring your sleeping bag (and a pack towel if you want to clean up). Simple accomodations but like was said in an earlier post ...it's paradise after a few days in in the cold/wet weather.

Tell Winton 'Slogger said HEY !!
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Walessp
    Can you "slack pack" into Walesi-Yi? That is, are there beds with mattresses and sheets (or should I bring my sleeping bag and thermarest?)

Sky Rider

(walessp)
    there are mattress on the bunks, not sure about sheets and such, i know you get a towel when you check in.

give em a call (706) 745-6095

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe
    I was up there today. The hostel is open.
    The hostel is always open. Five bucks off if you don't use heat. ATC membership gets a 10%cash/7%plastic discount in the outfitter.

Winton and Cornbread are seriously great folks to deal with up there.
    Just hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger
    (and a pack towel if you want to clean up).
    They provide towels.
    Just hike.

Default and wayne?

who knows wayne? he ran the store for dorathy and jeff.he walked barefoot allways.does any one remember?

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

was there last weekend before the ruck. road up with chief to pick up stumpknocker. winton is an awesome guy doing a great job.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Cool outfitter with a lot of variety in gear, but I was disappointed in the cabin we stayed in. The bunks had very low head room and the kitchen was not well supplied for cooking or dishwashing (no dishwashing liquid). A kind hiker coordinated a domino's pizza order. Otherwise food choices for dinner are pretty limited (some frozen items such as pot pies, some staple items, fruit, hot dogs, and typical backpacking food), and there are no nearby restaurants. I'd call it a great place to shop and gear up, but so-so to stay overnight.

Is this a fun area to spend the night? Space for people to congregate out of the bad weather and exchange stories/histories? Good people around I assume? Trying to decide if I want to stay here overnight. I guess this will probably depend on the weather and/or my health. If it's a beautiful day, I may just resupply, shower, and keep on hiking.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++