WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Double post deleted.

I have the mating Wiggys set and I'm happy with the construction, but I haven't tested it for temps. I've never been cold in it, though. I just wish their bivy was breathable.

Guys, thanks for all your posts. All of this info has been very helpful. I'm now wondering about how compressible down vs synthetic is as concerns these 2 underquilts only, not in the general sense. Further, if the down JRB does compress smaller, how long does it take to get back to original size? My Ray Way quilt will compress quite small, and takes no time to "fluff" back up. Since the KAQ uses the same 3D, I can estimate that but have no clue as to the JRB.

I've been meaning to add the KAQ to the pic at the top of my stay warm page. In the meantime, I took this one just now.

Both have a diameter of ~24". The KAQ is 16" tall and the JRB is 9" tall. Both could probably compress a little bit more, but not much and I don't like to compress my stuff more than needed, even in the pack.

Jeff-thanks for the picture. How long does it take for the JRB to come back to normal size once removed from the compressed state? Does it down usually take longer to get back to its uncompressed size than synthetic material?

If there's a difference, I haven't noticed it. I set up my hammock and lay out the quilts first, then do my other camp chores. By the time I'm ready for bed, it's all good.

The down can shift, though...if there's enough down in there (JRB does the overstuff now) that's a good thing b/c you can shift it to where you need it. So if you're too warm, shift the down to the sides and you'll cool off a bit. That means you need to check where the down is when you set it up, and maybe fluff it where you want it, whereas synthetic is the same thickness all the time. No fluffing necessary and no cold spots, but you get a bit less flexibility.

Images

Jeff, thanks for posting that photo. That's very useful.

I now ship with a roomy stuff sack, which I like a lot. It allows the underquilt to loft up in your pack when there's room. When you need to mash it down, it's a lot easier to do when the stuff sack isn't tight. It helps the insulation mold to the shape of the pack much better. I use the same with my top quilt.

To give a sense of compressability, I don't have any trouble packing both quilts and a week's worth of 3-season gear into my ULA P-1 pack.

WAC, I have a Ray-Way top quilt, too. The weight and compression are noto noticeably different. That's probably the best answer I can give. Like Jeff, I always throw my quilts up when I get to camp to give them time to do their thing.

I think I remember the real reason why the KAQ came into existence is that if you are a vegan, you won't use down.

(which is cool- I'm no vegan, but I have a lot of vegan friends)

titanium_hiker
    just call me TH
    woman with altitude

Images

LOL - reminds me of the very first night I slept in a hammock - a raccoon came by to check me out - spooked me some when the coon walked under the hammock and I woke up hearing foot steps _under_ me

Images

If you get the opportunity, I highly recommend stopping by Peter Pan's... just being down the road, I have twice now. Great host... great presenter on product use... just a joy to spend some time with.

(Moi??? Sucking up for next year's purchase???!! Geez.. they don't have much left in the product line!) ::grin::
    VAMTNHIKER
    (Previously known as ScouterSteve)
    Thru-hiker Dreamer
    Near-term Section Hiker

Coonass from Down South jazilla's Avatar
    Images

Jeff do you use a bigger pack with your KAQ when you carry it or does it any all you carry fit in your Speed Bag. Reason I ask is cause I just bought a KAQ and it should be here in a few weeks. I am also in the market for a lighter bag. My wife bought my current one( she is a sweetie) on ebay and the thing weights in at 6 lbs. I am looking at the North Face Skareb 55. It has the cu in I like but that was before I looked at getting a KAQ. Just wondering, any comment from anyone would be helpful.

PS. Please only helpful comments.
    "The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

It makes things a bit tighter but I can still fit everything I need. The Speed is 54L including pockets and stuff - the main bag is about 45L IIRC - so assuming the rest of your gear isn't very bulky, you could probably make it fit.

Just to let you guys know, I decided to purchase the JRB Nest. All (well most anyway ) of the comments posted on this thread were extremely helpful, as was talking with Patrick and Jack via PM's.

Jeff, thanks for posting the photo comparing the two in their stuff sacks - that was what really made my decision for me. I'm going to Cold Mt/Mt Pleasant this coming weekend and hope to try it out (remember, I am a cold sleeper - I will use it in 50 degree weather...).

Okay, I finally had a chance to take out my newly purchases JRB NEST (and Pacerpoles for that matter). I went this weekend to Mt Pleasant here in VA with my wife. The hike was quite easy but afforded arguably the best views in VA. While it didn't get very cold (upper 50's), I DO sleep cold, so I broke out the Nest and installed as I had practiced at home.

My inital impression of the Nest was that is was of solid construction and in appearance, would keep me warm. My wife, knowing that I sleep cold, asked how I was going to stay warm with just the Nest and my Ray Way quilt and no sleeping bag. I answered that "hopefully" those two items would be enough. Happily, they were. I never felt cold through the night, nor did I have to readjust any of the down in the Nest. It was, in a word, awesome.

My only concern/question is in its attachment point with the HH. Maybe I installed it wrong, but after attaching the velcro from the Nest to the opening of the HH, there seemed to me to be no way to seal the HH shut. Is this how it is supposed to be? I kind of rigged it so the velcro was half attached to the hammock so that I could somewhat seal the gap but never fully got it shut. In fact, my wife commented in the morning that my hammock was "not shut." Is this something I am doing wrong in the setup?

For me, this would really sum it up -
    Pro's:
    1. Weight - stoooopid lite (why have I never tried down before )
    2. Compressability - even smaller than the picture that JustJeff posted
    3. Comfort level - though it only got down to the upper 50's, I can tell that
    my Nest/Ray Way combination will be very good for me

Con:
    1. Only one - what I mentioned above - If this is my fault, then scratch
    this

Overall, I would recommend the JRB Nest without any hinderances.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

I have noticed this with mine too. Your weight in the hammock should be enough to keep it shut. Although I did wake up with my foot hanging outside once. Note that the racer HH does not even have velcro.

What I do now is try to attach the underquilt to the velco using only half of it. These leaves some of the velcro to close the HH. I have thought of adding a second strip of velcro to either the HH or the underquilt. I haven't done it yet, I don't want to miss with something that works well.

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

If you insure that none of the quilt edge is in the slit .....the slit will but closed when loaded.....

If you want a true storm door seal....close the JRB Nest on it self. Enter and leave by just pushing it aside and you get a solid cover over a velcroable sealed slit...Just an option for when you want a truly tight seal.

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

AHA!! Now I don't feel like such a moron... Thanks for the info Pan (and your help).

Let's see. The Speer Top Blanket sure looks good. No, I think the Sniveller is better. Wait, that Fanatic Fringe quilt is cool too. A little less expensive. Oh darn, it weighs a few ounces more. What about the KAQ? No I really like the versatility of the Sniveller. Plus it's lighter. But the KAQ is cheaper!!!
    I could save about half the $$$$ and purchase a Campmor 20 degree down mummy. Fiddle sticks!!!! That would be twice the weight of the Speer Top Blanket. Decisions, decisions, decisions............. I'm going to order me a "Sniveller" tomorrow..........

Images

As of this past weekend I am able to say I have tried both the JRb and the KAQ and hands down I liked the KAQ better. I am a heavy set 240lb warm sleeper and I got cold in an early chill on a JRB but I was great with my new KAQ
    "Sometimes you have to make a clean break from the past to make a new beginning"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++