WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: February Start?

From PA moved to Marquette MI, ontop of the Northern Country Trail

Default February Start?

I was wondering if anyone had any tips, suggestions, or comments about an NOBO start? I've been looking though the forums and found a few in the archives. Just wanted to see what people say.

Read a book where the author and her boyfriend started the AT in Feb. It was called something like "One Woman's Journey" or something. I'm not sure she thought it was a great idea - pretty rough in the beginning - plenty of snow. Good Luck!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah
    Read a book where the author and her boyfriend started the AT in Feb. It was called something like "One Woman's Journey" or something. I'm not sure she thought it was a great idea - pretty rough in the beginning - plenty of snow. Good Luck!
    By Adrienne Hall. A decent book.

http://www.powells.com/biblio?isbn=1929173059
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Default Trail Journals

I'd suggest you check trailjournals.com.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skytoproberts
    I was wondering if anyone had any tips, suggestions, or comments about an NOBO start? I've been looking though the forums and found a few in the archives. Just wanted to see what people say.
    We started Feb 1 NOBO. Shoot your questions and we will be happy to answer them.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates
    We started Feb 1 NOBO. Shoot your questions and we will be happy to answer them.
    If you could pack now for february now that you have done it once what would you bring differnetly?

Snowshoes, Crampons?

I was thinking of for the first month and a half bringing my Giga stove then exchanging them for my achly stove the rest of the hike.

Alot or alittle snow, Temps?

they are what I can think of now ill add to it later thanks for the help.

Default I started my thru on Feb. 14th...

Would have liked crampons for about a day and a half in the Smokies. Never wanted snowshoes. Was VERY happy to have full-length 0 degree synthetic sleeping bag, high-end fleece balaclava, and Sealskin socks, among other things.

If you could pack now for february now that you have done it once what would you bring differnetly?

Snowshoes, Crampons?

I was thinking of for the first month and a half bringing my Giga stove then exchanging them for my achly stove the rest of the hike.

Alot or alittle snow, Temps?

they are what I can think of now ill add to it later thanks for the help.
    You do not need snowshoes or crampons for a NOBO start, regardless of when you start.

I would not bring an alcohol stove for winter hiking. We met one guy in NC who had one and that night he never got his supper cooked (it was around 10F and windy that night). We took an MSR simmerlite the whole way, which worked great. If you want to switch to alcohol, I would do so after Pearisburg.

We had tons of snow, but it all depends on the year. We had three major storms that dumped 12+ inches. There were 3 foot snow drifts on the trail in the Smokies and just south of Erwin. Temps dipped below 0F only about 3-4 nights on our trip. The rest of the time (during Feb) lows for the night were typically 10-20 degrees F.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith
    Would have liked crampons for about a day and a half in the Smokies. Never wanted snowshoes. Was VERY happy to have full-length 0 degree synthetic sleeping bag, high-end fleece balaclava, and Sealskin socks, among other things.
    Absolutely. We had 0 degree down bags, slept with a fleece hat on, and wore fleece socks over our hiking socks when in camp.

amongnature.blogspot.com

This guy started Feb 26 and finished last week.

http://www.trailjournals.com/kenberry/

I would not reccomend a February start UNLESS you have experience hiking and camping in cold weather AND you know enjoy it. MOST people do not enjoy camping -- the hiking isn't bad -- in the cold.

The best time to start a NOBO hike IMO is April for two reasons -- much better weather AND you will get to hike in NE in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch
    I would not reccomend a February start UNLESS you have experience hiking and camping in cold weather AND you know enjoy it. MOST people do not enjoy camping -- the hiking isn't bad -- in the cold.

The best time to start a NOBO hike IMO is April for two reasons -- much better weather AND you will get to hike in NE in the fall.
    I appreciate you oppinion, Though I have not hiked or camped much in the past few years, I was never put off by the idea of camping in the cold. I am choosing a Feburary start to give myself maximum amount of time (6 months come home in Aug) because I am leaveing for the Rocky Mountains Sept 9 for a 3 month Class with NOLS ending in Dec. I would like to have some time to prep to get ready for that course considering once I get done there I am moving to WI to attend Northland College in January, I currently live in PA.

Plus much to my advantage most of my family is scattered around the NE, I must say that fall is a beautiful time around here, and would love to see it during my thru hike but I am will not be dissappointed if I miss it.

winter hiking can be fun but it wears me down. i can't stay out for more than a few days at a time. i just get too tired. even when you're sleeping you're burning a lot of calories just trying to keep warm. and there's the endless chore of trying to get your things dry every night, not to mention making a fire

Quote Originally Posted by mingo
    and there's the endless chore of trying to get your things dry every night, not to mention making a fire
    You may get lucky, but those with a 2/1 start should be prepared...mentally and gear wise...for hiking all day in a cold drizzle in Georgia.

I appreciate everyones suggestions if anyone has anymore just let me know thanks

Images

I started this year on Feb 15th.....PM me and I'd be glad to offer any help that I can.

Started this year on Feb 19. Have been hiking in the southeast exclusively in the winter for past 10 years. Weather down here varies greatly. Some winters lots of snow, some almost none. You will get plenty of cold and wet days though. Can' t go wrong with 0 degree bag to start out with. Some kind of puffy jacket (down or synthetic) to wear in evenings, mornings. Quality raingear that you know will keep you dry. Some kind of hot drink (I like instant tea, good hot or cold). There are lots of hostels and other places to get off the trail in the south if you need a break. What snow I hit this year was not a factor in my daily milege. I heard that hikers behind me had it worse.
    Red Ranger
    GAME 06

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Feb start...

Most of the NoBo crowd starts March-April...so, you'd be well ahead of any packs of hikers...

FEB. can be very harsh in the MTNS of North GA, NC & especially the SMOKIES in TN.

whenever you decide to start...be prepared...& GOOD LUCK w/ yer hike!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Images

Default Rain versus Snow

Crutch and Solemates-

Can you comment on the amount of rain versus snow? I know it varies but I camp a lot in the Whites in the winter and I have camped out west as well. I would much rather have snow (in resonable depths) than freezing rain. Rain will kill you more quickly.

What did you wear for pants? A lot of times I wear shorts, some kind of poly pro or tights, and gaiters as long as I am moving. Then through on wind/rain pants when I get into camp.

You do get tired but if you at not moving you get in your bag.

Days are also pretty short so what kind of mileage did you do your first 10 days or so?

Iceman

Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free

Quote Originally Posted by icemanboston
    Crutch and Solemates-

Can you comment on the amount of rain versus snow? I know it varies but I camp a lot in the Whites in the winter and I have camped out west as well. I would much rather have snow (in resonable depths) than freezing rain. Rain will kill you more quickly.

What did you wear for pants? A lot of times I wear shorts, some kind of poly pro or tights, and gaiters as long as I am moving. Then through on wind/rain pants when I get into camp.

You do get tired but if you at not moving you get in your bag.

Days are also pretty short so what kind of mileage did you do your first 10 days or so?

Iceman

Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free
    I think anyone would much rather have snow than rain. Cold rain sucks. We had more snow than rain, but I think it is dependent on the year. And thats not to say that we didnt have our share of rain either...we just didnt have a lot of it.

For every day wear, I wore Ex Oficio Amphi convertible pants with a built-in liner so I didnt have to wear underwear. These are the best trail pants made in my opinion. I have several pairs. You can usually find them for sale for around $60, which is ridiculous but its worth it. For rain gear, I had the Marmot Precip jacket and pants. When it rained and it was cold enough to merit rain pants, I usually zipped off my convertible pants into shorts and put the precip pants over that. I did not take gaitors at all on my thru hike. I did not take any kind of stuff to wear in camp. The stuff I hiked in, I slept in.

The first week or so I would say we only averaged 10-12 miles a day. It would usually start to get dark around 4pm for the first month.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++