WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How Warm in the Whites?

I need advice on how warm clothing needs to be when backpacking above treeline in the Whites in July?

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah
    I need advice on how warm clothing needs to be when backpacking above treeline in the Whites in July?
    http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/normals.php
    Roland

It has snowed in every month of the year in the Whites. While you may not need it, you need to be prepared for damp cool weather.

This sounds melodramatic but it's true: above treeline in the Whites, you have to be prepared for foul, cold, windy, dangerous weather during every month of the year. It is often sunny and steamy hot in the valley you just came from while you're shivering on an open ridge in high winds and heavy mist at temps near freezing.

I hiked the southern half of maine to mt. washington last year and was surprised at how cold it was at that time of year. I'm from Florida and this might be why it seemed so cold. I'd take some warm long johns for sure.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonesat11
    I hiked the southern half of maine to mt. washington last year and was surprised at how cold it was at that time of year. I'm from Florida and this might be why it seemed so cold. I'd take some warm long johns for sure.
    what time of year?

Bring warm stuff, weather changes quick and it can go from nice and warm to frigid really quick. Last time I did it it snowed and had 50mph winds in aug, of course I asked some people who took the car road up why they bothered to drive up on a day like that and they told me that it was nice in the valley, we were actually stuck in a cloud.

So....is an extra layer of clothing plus a fleece and waterproofs enough? Or are we talking winter ski jackets/gloves/hats, etc. How warm of a sleeping bag rating? I've been to the top of Mt. Washington in May and July, but they were nice days.

Thanks for all the input!

Cheetah

What I brought: Some kind of synthetic insulating layer (I had a mid-weight fleece pullover) light fleece hat, a breathable rain jacket with a hood, rain pants. Some light W/B gloves might also be nice but a spare pair of socks on your hands help in a pinch. Your enemy here is the frequent combination of rain and strong wind in the Whites that sucks your body heat right out due to evaporative cooling. Water/wind proof gear is absolutely mandatory.

Since you can't camp anywhere above treeline in the Whites, you'll be walking most of the time when you're above treeline and probably don't need heavy insulation as you'll be producing a lot of body heat. You may get cold if you stop to take a break so an insulating layer and a hat to throw on is highy reccomended. I was forced to stop a few times and wait for visibility to clear up (see second pic below) and was very glad to have my fleece and hat. I had really awful weather in the Whites on my NOBO thru hike in early June, and still never used my fleece while actually hiking, just a t-shirt, rain jacket and pants, but you'll likely find yourself happy to have a warm layer.

http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...gAnch=imgAnch4

http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...Anch=imgAnch30

The key word: LAYERS

At elevations, lets say, over 2500' you better be prepared for about anything. When above tree-line this is especially true. One minute you can have calm winds, warm sun, the next you can have rain and wind and a drop in temps of 30 to 40+ degrees and windchill to boot. Better have rain-wear (pants and jacket) along with warm layers.

When I was in the Whites last year, I slept in the huts, work for stay, The weather was great for the most part. I saw the ocean from Mt Washington. But hiking out of Madison hut in the Whites the winds were picking up to over 100 mph. It was cold! I had to put on every layer I had. Plus I was using my poles sideways against the boulders to prop myself upright.. It was intense! Anyway, at night you can stay at the huts.....

Images

i got 79 mph winds on Mt. Wash.....3 weeks ago.

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

it was in the low 30's,in the fog, and very brisk winds up there last week

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

any monsters in here...? Monster's Avatar

I think Bleach's advice is good. I spent Labor Day Wknd last year on Bondcliff and West Bond and although the wind is terrific above treeline and can go from intense sun to damp and chilly clouds in the same day, for the most part you'll be moving right along. The camps where I slept were below tree line and out of the most intense weather, but the temp did drop into the 40's overnight, so be sure that you have an appropriatly rated bag or warm sleeping layers including a fleece hat.

Section Hiker Shot Gun from GA to NH Deerleg's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah
    So....is an extra layer of clothing plus a fleece and waterproofs enough?
    Thanks for all the input!

Cheetah

Its the unprepared day hiker thats got in the most trouble in the Whites in the summer...the T-shirt and shorts don't cut it when the clouds and rain roll in and the temp drops 30-40 degrees. The above should keep you out of trouble. I've been glad to have my 20 degree bag on a couple of summer trips when it dropped close to freezing in the higher ridges.
    Last edited by Deerleg; 08-16-2006 at 21:49.
    Kevin

++ New Posts ++