WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default The Approach Trail at Amicalola

I was having a discussion with a friend about the approach trail to Springer from Amicalola. I maintained that it was pointless to begin a through-hike without including this beginning section, while she submitted that as a blue blaze trail it seemed a bit silly to include it as a requirement for a through hike and one could easily just drive up to the summit, register and begin the hike from there.

So I am interested in how many people here believe that the approach trail is an essential componant of the trail, and what percentage of NOBO (and SOBO hikers for that matter) include the approach trail as an integral part of their hike.

Images

The approach trail is just a blue blazed trail. To do the FS42 you have to walk about a mile SOBO to Springer then back track that mile to cross the parking lot again, ether way you have to walk to the mountain. It is a personal thing with no right or wrong answer, but the climb up that blue blaze might be a good way for a hiker to find out if they really want to do this. I plan to have my family come with me to the FS42 parking lot and walk down to Springer so they can see me off (if they still want to LOL).
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

If I walk over 2000 miles to Katahdin, I don't think I'm going to care all that much either way. But enough people have declared it rather pretty, so I might walk it this year.

Default Rules - BLAH!

I strongly suggest if you are going to thru hike, to put all these notions of things you HAVE to do in order to be considered a true thru-hiker out of your head. Do it if you want, skip it if you don't. As Redbeard said, after 2000 miles, the fact that you did or didn't do the approach trail is irrelevant.

You're out there to hike and have fun and to walk from GA-ME. Do that, and you will be furfilled. Litter your hike with rules, and you will feel pressure, the very thing you are trying to get away from.

Gravity Man

I wouldn't say its pointless begin a thru hike without doing the Approach Trail, but it is a nice way to start your hike. To begin the hike by climbing Springer is makes reaching the beginning of the AT a little more rewarding. I like the idea of weighing in on the scale at Amicalola and then just heading off into the woods.

Just because a road is there doesn't mean it is more enjoyable to use it. I remember all the people on Mt. Washington, those that drove up didn't really seem to view the mountain in the same way as those who hiked up. I think I had more respect for Mt. Washington in part because I climbed it, and I figure Springer Mt. deserves to be climbed too.

Although you do have to walk to the summit from FS42, that isn't the same as climbing the mountain from the bottom. I have reached Springer from both ways, and starting from FS42 and it had a much different feel than starting from Amicalola. There are other reasons to start at FS42, such as sharing the summit with family and friends. It all comes down to a matter of preference, and what works for you. Of course, if you don't like climbing mountains...

I'm not claiming to make rules of how the AT should be hiked, just sharing my opinion. I thought the only "rules" are for debating why your definition of thru hiking is correct on somebody else's is incorrect. However, I would say that even after walking 2000 miles, I still find the way it all began to be quite relevant. Really, what part of the hike isn't relevant?

I'm not really imposing rules or suggesting one way is preferable to another. I'll walk it because - this is a personal thing here - I don't want to rationalize avoiding a tough hike on the first day. I could too easily allow that to become a behavioral pattern.

On the other hand, it's not part of the trail and I hadn't even considered the family send-off aspect.

I was primarily motivated by the curiosity of how many hikers started at the trailhead versus how many start with the approach.

Regardless of where I start, I am going to be one hurting puppy at the end of that first day.

Do whatever you want - I think you will find that it doesn't matter much in the long run.

I remember before my hike reading similar threads on another forum -- I got the impression then that EVERONE hiked the approach trail. My husband and I did hike the approach trail and had a terrific day and met other great hikers, but I think we would have regardless of where we started. There seemed to be at least as many that day who did not hike the approach trail, or did only part of it.

I never heard anyone say they regretted not hiking it.. ironically I did later meet a pair who regretted hiking it (and yes they ended up hiking the whole trail.) They said it was too long, difficult and not worth it. There was a guy we had breakfast with who made it about a quarter way up the approach trail, turned around and got a flight back home. So I would say it is a wakeup call for some (but don't let that scare you - he was an exception!) A nice thing about NOT hiking the approach trail is that if you got to the park late in the day you could take an ultra-low mile day and stay in Springer shelter, get used to your gear etc. before putting on miles. Maybe you could "play it by ear" incase you meet some hikers in the lodge (if you stay there) and do what they do.

I don't think I could say there is any correlation for successfully completing the entire trail and doing or not doing the approach trail, and I became good friends with many in each category.

I have to say that the archway at the base of the trail (near the visitor center) makes a great photo, and it did seem more dramatic going that way. One of my favorite memories is making to that plaque on Springer.. not realizing we had made it to the top until we were practically standing on it. OOooh just thinking about it makes me want to hop on a plane this minute!

Good luck, you will have a great time either way!

Default The Departure Trail?

I hiked SOBO - we got to Springer, reflected, stayed the night at Springer Shelter, drank some beers which we had been carrying since Wylasi Yi, reflected some more, hiked back to Springer the next morning to meet the parents. Hiked to the parking lot on the FS road and went immediately to an awesome country style AYCE place in Dahlonega. Don't regret missing the Departure Trail one bit. It would have been 8 more miles before I could have sat down and eaten for 2.5 hours straight.
    Grimace ME->GA '01
    JMT '03

GA-ME 3/5/02 -8/14/02
    Images

We did the approach trail. Lots of folks didn't. In the end, 8 miles doesn't really matter one way or the other. If someone were to ask my advice about it, I would say to do it, because I thought, well, I enjoy hiking, and here's the chance to have an extra day off it! It was a nice hike, a nice warm up, put us on Springer summit for a leisurely lunch, and we got to "test the waters" of Georgia, where we had never hiked before. It was pretty, scenic, and gave us all morning to "anticipate" the summit of Springer, which made the summit that much more exciting. Either way, I would say not to fret, your hike won't be better off or worse off for having or having not done it.
    "It's a dangerous business, going out your door...if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to."-The Hobbit

Default Do it!

Well, one thing that can be said, is that hiking the approach trail gives all prospect thru-hikers a good dose of reality right from the start.

I think Baltimore Jack or someone once wrote that cutting the appoach trail is kinda indicative to what type of thru hike you are going to do. Looking to take the easy way out, or short cuts right from the start.

Peaks said it all!

As tough as the Springer Approach Trail
    is, it's only a taste of what's to come.

Scamp

I did the Approach in '96 and again in '01. Yup, I'll do it this year as well. I only grumble a little about that first mile (grumblegrumble - maybe this year I'll start at the falls now I come to think about it...)

I just hike it cuz it's there.

This question isn't about the approach trail but I think it might be relevant. Wabbit seems to be asking..to me..do you need to hike the approach trail to be considered a "thru-hiker".
    My problem..and question..is............at some point in the hike (probably early May) I will have to leave the trail for about 2 weeks to attend to farm matters. If I return to the point I left the trail and continued from there would I be considered a thru-hiker or a LONG section hiker? I know this may seem trivial to some..or most. My main goal is to ENJOY the hike..then to complete it in one season....but also to be recognized as a "thru-hiker". Your thoughts....?
    Are we having FUN yet?

SkyKing

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

The approach trail from Amicolola is a nice hike. Had I never hiked it before I would most likely include it in my plans for this year's thru. On the other hand though ...it is NOT incluced in the mileage used to calculate the length of the AT. Check your guide/handbooks. For a northbound hike of the AT, Springer Mountain is the southern terminus and is labeled as mile "0" on the current charts I've referenced.

I think this is one of those ...hike your own hike issues.
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Default Skyking

Yes, you would still be considered a thru-hiker under the scenario you described.

While the southern terminus of the AT is at Springer Mountain, I think there is something to be said for starting at the "start" of the trail, even if those first 8 miles are blazed blue instead of white. Especially since the approach trail used to be the actual trail years ago.

One consideration on where to start may depend on who is taking you to the trail. Springer is reached via a 6.5 mile forest service (dirt) road. There are no services available at the parking area. Amicalola is reached via the highway. There are picnic tables, restrooms, a small store, and cabins available for rental. The availability of these services may make an Amicalola start preferable for some people.

Default The coolest ever start

Enough has been said on this issue that I need not add another opinion.

HOWEVER I did want to point out that I believe the coolest start for an AT thru-hike ever was done by Robie "Jumpstart" Hensley.

From Larry Luxemberg's Walking the Appalachian Trail (one of the best collections of neat AT experience you will find):

On March 9, 1986, from a small plane piloted by his son Steve, Robie parachuted to the summit of Springer to start his NOBO trek. Family members were waiting at the summit with his pack and had just set off a smoke grenade so he could aim himself. He landed a short distance from the summit with his chute caught between two trees "Dangling like a grasshopper from a spider web"

Now That is the way to do it! Folks just have no imagination any more!

Unfortunately, there was no helicopter waiting to pick him up from Katahdin months later (yes he made it) so alas he had to hike down after completing his trek.

(Now please I don't want any one to complain "but he slack-packed the approach")

Pb

Max, you beat me to it! My comments are pretty much the same with just a slightly different twist. My wife went along to see me off on my 2001 section hike. I felt more comfortable starting from Amicalola so that she wouldn't have to drive alone on those backcountry dirt roads after dropping me off at Springer. And, I didn't learn until recently that the approach trail was once part of the original AT when the southern terminus was Mount Oglethorpe. That just makes the approach trail seem a little more special now. It was a nice hike. If I ever get to be a thru-hiker instead of a lowly section hiker, I'm bringing the whole family to see me starting off at Amicalola. And how can I pass up the famous scale at the Amicalola visitor center? I think of it as an AT tradition, too!
    "In the mountains, there you feel free." T.S. Eliot

Nothing stopped him from 'base jumping'
    off Katahdin!''

Scamp
    No, the Approach Trail isn't included in a
    thru-hike. Yes, you can take time off
    and return to finish your hike.

I heard from a friend that the approach kicked his butt. Is it really all that hard?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++