WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Filtering Water: Any scientific evidence that its safe not to?

After reading quite a few posts about filtering water, I have noticed that some people choose not to. This intrigues me, and I would like to see some scientific evidence that supports the claim that the water along the AT is safe for drinking. Anybody have any?

Search the archives - there are several threads on water treatment.

Water is tested along the trail. Something turns up in some sources now and then, but if you're smart about what you drink from you'll probably be ok. Some people never treat water and don't get sick. But it's your health and your decision.

Just curious - do you have scientific evidence that it's safe to not filter the air you breathe everywhere you travel to? Do you still breathe it? Same principle.

The air we breath is not safe (cfc's, smog, etc), but fortunately it won't ruin a hike in the same way a bad case of diharrea would, except for maybe those with bad asthma. I should have asked something like "what are the chances of getting sick from drinking unfiltered water"? I am curious to see how many tests are taken and how many of them test positive for giardia, crytposporidia (sp), or anything else really harmful. It just seems kind of wierd that some people can hike the whole trail w/out filtering water and at the same time others will get sick after one drink. Almost have probably just answered my own ulimate question, and I will most likely continue to filter water.

It's a calculated risk like everything else. I always have treatment with me but only use it when I'm not sure of the source. A spring coming directly out of the ground is not likely to be contaminated. Same with water dripping directly out of a cliff face. Or a small stream if I know I'm confident there isn't habitation upstream. If I'm unsure of what's upstream and I have to get water there, I use AquaMira. And I always treat if I have to get water from a pond or lake...no exceptions.

I couldn't say how much of the water is tested, though - maybe someone here has firm numbers (which I know is what you were asking for in the first place )

thanks for the info, just talking about this makes me want to drink some cold water from a mountain stream. Maybe I'll go empty the nalgene

Images

This subject is treated at some length in the book, Long-Distance Hiking: Lessons from the Appalacian Trail, by Roland Mueser. To summarize, the book makes the case that much of what might pass for water born illness is actually more related to poor sanitation; i.e. not proparly cleaning cook pots and utensils, eating after others, not washing your hands, etc. Remember, much of the fear about backcountry water sources comes from the folks who are trying to sell your their filters. I do carry a fliter, I guess as a security blanket, but rarely use it anymore. I think I used it once on my last section hike. For me, if the the water source is a flowing spring, I don't treat it. If it is a pooled spring, I make a judgement by the way it looks. If theres a lot of debris floating around I'll probably pull out the filter. I don't like chunky water. I've never gotten sick from bad water.

Images

I had stopped for a break at Carvers Gap after coming down from Roan Mtn, heading North. I had filled my water bottles at the bathroom on top of Roan Mtn and would have kept that water, but an elderly local gentlemen out for a Sunday drive with his children had also stopped at the Carvers Gap parking area, only he stopped to fill up several empty milk jugs with spring water. There is a spring just uphill from the vault toiliets at the parking area and after asking a few questions about my hike, he led me over to the spring and had me taste some of the water. It was ice cold, clear and delicious. I dumped that nasty water from the bathroom on the ground and filled up both water bottles with that good old spring water. Now, this old gentleman had been getting water at this spring since he was a child, I believe. He looked fine to me. His adult children seemd embarassed by his questions and conversation with me but I really enjoyed talking to him. Seniors are often full of pearls of wisdom and he was just a downright pleasant fellow to talk to. Folks like him are part of what make hiking the trail special. Also got some trail magic from a couple at the same location looking to refresh some thru-hikers, of which there were none at the time. They gave me a Pepsi and some cookies. These are the things I remember most about my hikes, the great people you meet.

Images

You can go without the filter or any treatment if you wish. Something to think about is the water quality in a lot of other places on the planet is not nearly anything as close to as good as what you find in the Appalachian Mountains. People still live off of it. If you are a healthy adult, you can put up with some pretty bad stuff, the problem in places like this (Iraq) are old people and the very young - and often that has more to do with sanitary conditions than the water. Sometimes what is required is getting use to what is in the water, and I suspect people like LWolf who never filters or treats probably has built up his immunity to the point even if he did get any waterborne bugs he wouldn't notice.

Just play it safe. If you can see the water come out of the ground and can look uphill and see nothing but ground for at least 50' you are probably safe. If you are drinking from a creek and do not know where the water passes through, you may want to add some lightweight chemicals like iodine or Aqua Mira. If you see human habitation near the water or livestock - then you may want to just look for another source.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

2005 Camino de santiago

Default To Filter (or treat) or not to filter, that is the question

I have often wondered, If all the water along the AT is tasty and safe, yet, because of the prevaling hype and fear, most everyone either treats or filters, then we will really never know the truth, will we? So, those many, many posters on this subject who have never "risked" drinking directly from those clear streams can only give their opinion. Those who have, on the other hand, chosen to drink direct can be factual, for them at least. But, it is a personal thing, which to choose...just as much as where to choose . Just be open-minded in your choice.

Here is a good article to ponder:

http://www.yosemite.org/naturenotes/Giardia.htm

On the AT I have walked through Georgia and a good part of NC and choose to drink directly from the many little streams and creeks I stepped across rather than carry large quantities of water. I filtered none of it and only treated once, when the stream was nearby and downhill from a shelter. In retrospect, though, that water was probably safe, too. Once even, after a huge rain I came upon a small waterfall alongside the trail, cascading down from the cliff above and i stopped & drank maybe 1/2 liter of that, ignoring the grit, untill I looked up and saw it was coming from over the top. So, I was probably drinking rain runnof from the ground above, instead of spring water. But even that did not make me sick, I am happy to say. In fact, none of it made me sick.

But, to each, their own...

Good advice SGT.

One can weigh the possibilities of getting sidetracked or very ill from water borne sickness (regarless of the source) or having a diahrea free hike and carrying a filter or h20 treatment. It's not like it's a rush or a race out there, and oftentimes the breaks for water treatment are needed and welcome - at least by this hiker.

I think folks like L Wolf are the exception, if it works for him - excellent! I personally haven't hiked yet with anybody that didn't treat their water.
    ad astra per aspera

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smile
    I think folks like L Wolf are the exception, if it works for him - excellent! I personally haven't hiked yet with anybody that didn't treat their water.
    There are actually quite a few folks that don't filter their water. I still carry my filter for stagnant water, etc., but to be honest out of my last three hikes out I have only used it on one hike...scum on the surface of a pond!

Some on here I know don't filter: Myself, Orangebug, Lone Wolf, Stumpknocker...I don't think Wookie or General does either, but can't remember for sure from our conversations.

Think of it this way...do you own pets? Have you ever been licked by a dog or kissed a pet...you stand more of a chance of getting Ghiardia from that than from a mountain spring.

Just be smart about the source...if it looks questionable ...it probably is!
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

And I always treat if I have to get water from a pond or lake...no exceptions.
    I tended to do the same or used the water in boiled meals, but recently I saw an article that stated the ultra violet rays from the sun would sterilze the top few inches much like a steripen.

Images

We have that article here.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

"Lake water is better," he says, glancing up. "Most people think the water is better from a nice, running stream because it's so fresh and churned up. But the top few inches of lake water are zapped with ultraviolet rays from the sun, which are a very powerful disinfectant."

From this thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...hlight=guardia
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Also from that article:

TIPS

Drink responsibly

There are many places in the Sierra where you can safely drink the water, but choose carefully. "If you have a question, then treat it," says Gregg Fauth, wilderness manager for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. But if you have a hankering for fresh water and don't want to lug a pump or disinfectants that make the water unappetizing, drinking smart can minimize risks of getting sick.

Don't drink untreated water in places downstream from livestock pastures and large backpacker camps. "Humans and cattle are the worst offenders," Fauth says.

Water at higher elevations is safer because there's less risk of pollution by humans or wildlife. As water travels to lower elevations, it can pick up contaminants along the way.

Lake water, especially the top few inches, has less bacteria than running streams because the rays of the sun act as a disinfectant. And big lakes are better than smaller, shallow lakes because there's more of a surface to sanitize.

Clean melted snow is less risky than ice from the surface of a lake or stream because hardy diarrhea-causing bacteria can survive for months on ice.

Deep well water is considered safe because the water is filtered when passing through the soil, which removes giardia cysts. Springs bubbling from the side of a mountain are generally safe too.

Avoid drinking untreated water from stagnant ponds or slow-moving streams.

Don't leave home without them: Alcohol hand gels, which are available in drug stores, are incredibly effective at inactivating bacteria on your hands. "Washing your hands," says Dr. Howard Backer, a water purification expert, "will prevent you from spreading bacteria to your fellow camper when you prepare the food."
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I haven't filtered water since about 2001. I do "treat" and questionable water though, either with AquaMira, Klearwater or Micropur Tablets.

Not scienctific, unless you consider "observation" as part of the process. I have observed no ill-effects as of yet.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

All you folks that don't filter are getting deep bows and applause from this hiker!
    I suppose I am not that brave at this point.....but boy I sure do wish that I could leave that heavy filter at home. (Aq.Mira not an option)

I was a river guide for many years, and had so many friends that ended up with the big G.
    I guess it's just a personal option, to each their own.
    ad astra per aspera

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

[quote=Smile]All you folks that don't filter are getting deep bows and applause from this hiker!
    =================================

I'm not convinced that a filter=total protection from Giardiasis.

When I did carry one many years ago I remember disassembling it (PUR Hiker) and seeing all the biologics coating the cartridge and inner walls of the unit. Just seemed like a perfect environment for colonization and growth to me. That plus the weight and the process prompted me to research and experiment with treatment alternatives.

My personal experience has led me to believe that "treatment" is at least as effective as "mechanical filtration" and I will likely never carry a filter again.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

I occasionally treat with grape Kool-Aid.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    I occasionally treat with grape Kool-Aid.
    Wild cherry Kool-aid and bourbon here...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++