WhiteBlaze Pages 2022
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
$5 for printable PDF, AVAILABLE NOW. $9 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. #1
    Registered User Big Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-23-2004
    Location
    NC
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,631
    Images
    67

    Default Capturing several quotes w/in same post?

    OK guys, I need some help. I've never been able to figure out, or find instructions on how to capture several quotes w/in my post. Say I want to respond to several posters all w/in my single post (all in the same thread, of course),,, I usually click the "quote" button on the 1st person I want to quote, then type my response, but am not sure how to capture the 2nd, 3rd, etc. quote & respond to that as well, all w/in 1 post. I've seen other posters do it,, so I know it can be done!!

    Thanks!!

  2. #2
    Doting Membrane Skidsteer's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-25-2005
    Location
    Skitt's Mountain, GA
    Posts
    7,945
    Images
    361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg
    OK guys, I need some help. I've never been able to figure out, or find instructions on how to capture several quotes w/in my post. Say I want to respond to several posters all w/in my single post (all in the same thread, of course),,, I usually click the "quote" button on the 1st person I want to quote, then type my response, but am not sure how to capture the 2nd, 3rd, etc. quote & respond to that as well, all w/in 1 post. I've seen other posters do it,, so I know it can be done!!

    Thanks!!
    -Click quote for the main post you wish to respond to
    -Open another window for the thread you're posting to
    -Copy and paste to your heart's content
    -Use the 'wrap quote tags around selected text' button on your copy/paste quotes

    Last edited by Skidsteer; 06-27-2006 at 23:12.
    Skids

    Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg
    OK guys, I need some help. I've never been able to figure out, or find instructions on how to capture several quotes w/in my post. Say I want to respond to several posters all w/in my single post (all in the same thread, of course),,, I usually click the "quote" button on the 1st person I want to quote, then type my response, but am not sure how to capture the 2nd, 3rd, etc. quote & respond to that as well, all w/in 1 post. I've seen other posters do it,, so I know it can be done!!

    Thanks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidster
    -Click quote for the main post you wish to respond to
    -Open another window for the thread you're posting to
    -Copy and paste to your heart's content
    -Use the 'wrap quote tags around selected text' button on your copy/paste quotes

    -Don't forget to add =NameofPoster after the word Quote so we know who you are quoting.

    P S. The 'wrap quote tags around selected text' button is next to the number sign and looks like a word balloon.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

    Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-13-2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Age
    46
    Posts
    4,109

    Default

    I just copy and paste, then write the tags in myself. Tags look just like the tags that are automatically put in when you click quote...like this:

    ================

    (quote=Skidsteer) Paste Skidsteer's quote here (/quote)

    Then type your reply here.

    (quote=Alligator) Paste Alligator's quote here (/quote)

    Then type your reply to Alligator here

    ==================

    - Except you replace the parenthesis with brackets []
    - don't forget the slash-quote and the end - to close the quote box

    This way you can do it all in one window. Just the way I do it - looks like all the others work also.

  5. #5
    Registered User Big Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-23-2004
    Location
    NC
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,631
    Images
    67

    Default

    Thanks guys!!

  6. #6
    Registered User headchange4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-19-2006
    Location
    Richmond, Kentucky
    Age
    46
    Posts
    353
    Images
    9

    Default

    I have problem using copy and paste on this site. A right click will not give me the option to paste (I have never tried the keyboard shortcut. Maybe I should try that.) I know you have to be a donating member to edit posts. Is the ability to copy and paste a donating member function also?

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u
    I have problem using copy and paste on this site. A right click will not give me the option to paste (I have never tried the keyboard shortcut. Maybe I should try that.) I know you have to be a donating member to edit posts. Is the ability to copy and paste a donating member function also?
    Not as far as I know. While I can C & P both ways, I am a donating member, so I can't test this for you.
    Last edited by Alligator; 06-28-2006 at 09:36.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

    Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

  8. #8
    Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-25-2005
    Location
    Frolicking elsewhere
    Posts
    12,398
    Images
    15

    Default

    This should read "without a name".
    Last edited by Frolicking Dinosaurs; 06-28-2006 at 10:05.

  9. #9
    Thru-hiker Wanna-be Fiddler's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-06-2005
    Location
    Crest Hill, IL
    Age
    80
    Posts
    457

    Default

    Use Notepad. Just copy and paste the first quote into notepad. Delete (in notepad) parts of the quote not relevant to the reply if you want, then type your reply. Then copy and paste the second quote into notepad, same process, then type the reply. Then copy the whole notepad message and paste into a Post Reply box. Do a Preview Post to be sure it looks as you want it, then Submit Reply.
    Remember this - - Even the best of friends cannot attend each other's funerals.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-13-2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Age
    46
    Posts
    4,109

    Default

    You can't C&P from other posts on the page? With one of the software updates, I couldn't copy from the message box (where I type) by right-clicking. I can still click CTRL-C after I highlight, though. If I have a long message, I always CTRL-C just in case I lose it after I hit "post"...it's happened a few times.

    So anyway, try highlighting and hit CTRL-C and you should be able to paste. I don't think it's a donating member thing.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    08-07-2003
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Age
    71
    Posts
    6,119
    Images
    620

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff
    You can't C&P from other posts on the page? With one of the software updates, I couldn't copy from the message box (where I type) by right-clicking. I can still click CTRL-C after I highlight, though. ...
    I agree.

    HINT: Keyboard commands also work just fine on many (all?) sites that block mouse commands. Nice for us old farts who learned DOS before the first mouse was even invented!

    Also, I agree with the post that said to use NotePad. I happen to use EditPad, a far superior version, but it's the same. Actually, any word processor should work. Copy and paste and type to your little heart's desire, then paste it all into a new message window. When it displays, go back and edit/clean-up any mistakes, and you look like a pro.

    RainMan

    .
    Last edited by Rain Man; 06-28-2006 at 12:41.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

    [url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

    .

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man
    ....Actually, any word processor should work.
    ...
    RainMan

    .
    Sometimes MS Word leaves garbage. Sometimes when pasting in, you get an error about too many images.
    fficeffice" /><O></O>
    I think it has to do with multiple paragraphs or hidden characters in Word.

    I received the following error when I pasted the above. There was an embarassed smilie that I removed and the post was accepted.

    You have included 5 images in your message. You are limited to using 4 images so please go back and correct the problem and then continue again.


    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

    Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

  13. #13
    Administrator attroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-03-2002
    Location
    Denmark, Maine, United States
    Age
    63
    Posts
    5,537
    Journal Entries
    201
    Images
    644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u
    Is the ability to copy and paste a donating member function also?
    No this is not a donating members function. Everyone can do it.

    On a side note the new software update for the web site will allow multiple quotes from different users. But it is still in the beta stages and I will not install any beta software on the site. I have learned through experience not to mess with beta versions on the web site.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

    Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

  14. #14
    Registered User Big Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-23-2004
    Location
    NC
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,631
    Images
    67

    Default

    OK, this is frustrating. I still can't do it??? Whether I put all quotes in notes, & then copy & paste to post response screen, or bring up another window, & go back to thread & copy,,, either way, I cannot paste info into response screen. I've never had the ability to paste while responding-(screen where I enter my post). I have Mozilla Firefox, & have been told that's the reason. I tried the CTRL-C to paste & it does nothing? I must be doing something wrong. H E L P

  15. #15
    Doting Membrane Skidsteer's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-25-2005
    Location
    Skitt's Mountain, GA
    Posts
    7,945
    Images
    361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg
    OK, this is frustrating. I still can't do it??? Whether I put all quotes in notes, & then copy & paste to post response screen, or bring up another window, & go back to thread & copy,,, either way, I cannot paste info into response screen. I've never had the ability to paste while responding-(screen where I enter my post). I have Mozilla Firefox, & have been told that's the reason. I tried the CTRL-C to paste & it does nothing? I must be doing something wrong. H E L P
    Here's a discussion:

    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/archi.../t-173446.html

    And another:

    http://forum.mamboserver.com/showthread.php?t=18136

    Sounds like a security settings and/or Firefox bug issue. Maybe you can suss it out from these links.
    Skids

    Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

  16. #16
    Registered User Big Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-23-2004
    Location
    NC
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,631
    Images
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    No this is not a donating members function. Everyone can do it.

    On a side note the new software update for the web site will allow multiple quotes from different users. But it is still in the beta stages and I will not install any beta software on the site. I have learned through experience not to mess with beta versions on the web site.
    just practicing...

    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u
    I have problem using copy and paste on this site. A right click will not give me the option to paste (I have never tried the keyboard shortcut. Maybe I should try that.) I know you have to be a donating member to edit posts. Is the ability to copy and paste a donating member function also?
    still practicing....

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddler
    Use Notepad. Just copy and paste the first quote into notepad. Delete (in notepad) parts of the quote not relevant to the reply if you want, then type your reply. Then copy and paste the second quote into notepad, same process, then type the reply. Then copy the whole notepad message and paste into a Post Reply box. Do a Preview Post to be sure it looks as you want it, then Submit Reply.
    I think I finally got it. I used the "edit" button at the top to paste,,, a clue from your link, Skidsteer. Thanks!!

    ,,, sorry,,,, I never use these,, normally they bug the heck out of me,,, but today deserves dancing

    Thanks again all!!!

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-13-2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Age
    46
    Posts
    4,109

    Default

    CTRL+C is copy. I use SHIFT+INSERT to paste.

    If the paste under the Edit menu works, then CTRL+V should work as well. Or SHIFT+INSERT.

  18. #18
    Doting Membrane Skidsteer's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-25-2005
    Location
    Skitt's Mountain, GA
    Posts
    7,945
    Images
    361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg
    just practicing...


    still practicing....


    I think I finally got it. I used the "edit" button at the top to paste,,, a clue from your link, Skidsteer. Thanks!!

    [3 damn bananas],,, sorry,,,, I never use these,, normally they bug the heck out of me,,, but today deserves dncing [1 damn banana]
    Thanks again all!!!
    De nada. Just promise to be sparing in your use of [damn bananas].
    Skids

    Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-13-2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Age
    46
    Posts
    4,109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer
    Just promise to be sparing in your use of [damn bananas].
    SKIDSTEER FOR PRESIDENT!!

  20. #20
    Registered User weary's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-15-2003
    Location
    Phippsburg, Maine, United States
    Posts
    10,115
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Many thanks for the many comments that seem to promise interesting solutions to a real problem. I haven't figured it all out, as yet, but I'll work on it.

    Weary

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •