WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default how is the paddling on fontana lake ?

i've heard good things and i may try it this summer. i was also wondering about some of the small islands located in fontana lake. is camping allowed there ? some seem to be out of GSMNP boundaries.

also, are motor boats much of a problem ?

any campsites with rope swings or the like ?
    "In the woods, too, a man casts off his years, as the snake his slough, and at what period soever of life, is always a child. In the woods is perpetual youth." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

The paddling is great for flat water ... there are lots of coves and little inlets to explore. Motor boats are indeed permitted. The thing to note about Fontana and any of the lakes in the area is that they are all man-made, so there aren't the nice sloping sandy beaches you may find at naturally occurring lakes.

There are some campsites along Fontana Lake, as well as along neighboring lakes.

Try these links for more info:

http://www.kayakguide.com/HazelCrk.htm
    www.nps.gov/grsm
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fivefour
    ... i was also wondering about some of the small islands located in fontana lake. is camping allowed there ? some seem to be out of GSMNP boundaries....also, are motor boats much of a problem ?...any campsites with rope swings or the like ?
    There are quite a few places to overnight on the shoreline that are not in the National Park. I am only familliar with one island that just north of Cable Cove near the dam end of the lake. One word of caution: boaters use many campsite areas as restrooms. Check your area out thoroughly before deciding on a spot. If some backpackers have bad habits in regards to relieving themselves, the majority of recreational power boaters have terrible habits. The island has been notorious for this.
    The times I have been there in the summer there have been power boats, but not as many as I expected. Good paddling every trip. Never saw any rope swings but you will find rock jump offs that run the range between child's play and only for the lunatics. (I'm a borderline rock jumping lunatic and I saw a few I wouldn't test) The swimming can't be beat. Cool/clear water in mid-summer, one of the best swimming lakes I've ever been in.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

i've heard good things and i may try it this summer. i was also wondering about some of the small islands located in fontana lake. is camping allowed there ? some seem to be out of GSMNP boundaries.

also, are motor boats much of a problem ?

any campsites with rope swings or the like ?
    Can't comment on Fontana but I just brought home a Wilderness Systems Pungo 120. Can't wait to get it out! My first Kayak. I'll try to get some paddling in before I got to the July 4th party tomorrow.

Happy paddling and have a great Independence day!
    ~~^^^~~^^~^^^~~~^^^^^~^~
    Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it.

thanks for the info guys. has anyone done a 3 day, 2 night paddle/hike ? any great campsite suggestions ? and what do you guys do with the boats while you hike ?

nice boat austexs !
    "In the woods, too, a man casts off his years, as the snake his slough, and at what period soever of life, is always a child. In the woods is perpetual youth." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

thanks for the info guys. has anyone done a 3 day, 2 night paddle/hike ? any great campsite suggestions ? and what do you guys do with the boats while you hike ?

nice boat austexs !
    Thanks! I got the cheaper heavier version but I got the DuraLite in my sights for November. Only 40 lbs.

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/pro...sp?productid=2
    ~~^^^~~^^~^^^~~~^^^^^~^~
    Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it.

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default 3 days on Fontana last summer

hired a shuttler at Fontana Village, he dopped me off at Tsali and then dropped my car off at Cable Cove ramp...spent 3 days paddling back, camping in GSMNP along the way---filled out the backcountry permit before starting, camped on the Lakshore Trail at designated spots (now the Benton MacKaye Trail)...saw no one when camping until the last day at Hazel Creek when I hiked into the old settlement area and met 3 flyfishers from Illinois who paid a guide to show them the spots....saw few boats way off in the distance (paddled on the weekdays)....very enjoyful. I had crossed Fontana Dam twice on AT hikes and wondered what a paddle trip would be like, it is def. a way to see parts of the park that most do not see, excepting the few who would take the BMT option from Springer...highly recommened.
    Last week off after the Big Bald Hike we went to Lake Santeetlah and overnight paddled, much like Fontana or any of the lakes in this region or hear in east TN, go during the week days if you have to paddle in summer,,,better yet is to wait until mid-fall when the ski natiques have put up for the winter....if you paddle Fontana plan a full day in the Hazel Creek area for hiking/exploring...
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Images

Lake Santeetlah is a nice place to paddle. We went on a weekend during peak colors 2 yrs ago and no one was there. We had the lake to ourselves. 14 kayakers and no power boats
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default When you look at the southeast

there are inumerable paddle camping opportunities. I'm currently studying this one:
    http://www.roanokeriverpartners.org/maps/LocatorMap.htm
    for a future paddle trip.
    Start out slow, then slow down.

If any of you boaters are up near the cabin they filmed the movie "NELL" at and you happen to have a GPS, get me a coordinate on it. I know its on the eastern side just up from the dam. Some of you may already have it. I'd appreciate you posting it here.

any campsite preferences ?

The GSMNP "Trail Map" lists four campsites on Fontana Lake as being accessible only by boat. (Sites #72, 73, 78 & 87.) Several others are accessible by both boat and trail. None of those sites are rationed, so filling out a permit is all that would be required.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge
    I know its on the eastern side just up from the dam.
    Not many options west of the dam!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sliderule
    Not many options west of the dam!!!
    Well, when it comes to Hollywood and the Gov, you can never be sure. The Gov has let Hollywood us a lot of government property, although mostly for recruitment proposes.

Well, when it comes to Hollywood and the Gov, you can never be sure. The Gov has let Hollywood us a lot of government property, although mostly for recruitment proposes.
    In addition, the cabin probably was built on USFS land just for the Movie.

Look at a map.

Look at a map.
    The maps I've looked at don't show in absolute the locale of the cabin that was built by the movie folks. I've done a few searches and can't seem to locate the exact spot or at least some distances from the dam. If you have the location, or the name of a map with the location, please let me know. Thanx.

Images

Look at a map.
    Just watch out for that first step, it's a doozie. LOL
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

The maps I've looked at don't show in absolute the locale of the cabin that was built by the movie folks. I've done a few searches and can't seem to locate the exact spot or at least some distances from the dam. If you have the location, or the name of a map with the location, please let me know. Thanx.
    My point was that, since the dam is at the west end of the lake, essentially all of Fontana Lake is east of the dam.

For the location of the "Nell" cabin, you might ask the folks at the Fontana Marina. (800) 849-2258, ext 277.

Thanks, for the info.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++