WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Stuff sacks

Default Stuff sacks

Hi,
    I'm getting a Feathered Friends hummingbird (20*) bag and I want to get a water proof stuff sack for it. I'm wondering what your experiences are with the OR hydroseal bags, I know they have a couple dif models (basic, standard, advanced).
    If you know of any other stuff sacks let me know as I'm also in the market for a decent food bag (something that's going to hang well and such).

Thanks

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

OR Hyrdoseal bags are definitely waterproof, given a little care in securing them, but they're relatively heavy compared to a silnyl stuff sack (7+ ounces versus 1-2 ounces).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Hopper....
    There is another Thread under this Forum (also called Stuff Sack")..check it out. I think you'll find it useful.
    Are we having FUN yet?

SkyKing

Thanks you two.
    Anyone know a good resource for purchasing the silnyl bags?

Hopper....I'm not sure if this is what you want but Questoutfitters.com has a great selection of silnylon. Either Thru-hiker.com/workshop or "Sparky" here on Whiteblaze has great plans for waterproof stuff sacks. Hopes this helps.
    Are we having FUN yet?

SkyKing

GA-ME 3/5/02 -8/14/02
    Images

Hopper, if you're looking to buy, not make, silnylon stuff sacks, EMS has a good supply of the ones made by Equinox. We used them on our thru-hike in '02 and they worked beautifully. They have a range of sizes. www.ems.com
    "It's a dangerous business, going out your door...if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to."-The Hobbit

Images

Hopper,

I would recommend that you give it a try to make them yourself. For what it cost for one you could make four. There are plenty of places to get your silnylon in many colors. Questoutfitters is where I got mine and I bought left overs for a 36" x 65" for around $5. Fun foam cost me less than a buck and thread cost me less than a dollar. Then seam seal it and you are set to go. IMHO. I put some pics in my gallery of my "Priest Collar" bags I made and I trust them 100%,

Sparky!
    May you have warm words on a cold evening,
    a full moon on a dark night, and the road downhill all the way to your door.

An Irish Blessing

Good stuff, thanks!

++ New Posts ++