WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Anyone have experience with the Montbell Super Stretch Down Hugger bags?

So, I've had my eye on the Montbell Super Stretch Down Hugger bags for awhile now. I need a good 20-degree bag -- one that I will likely use on a thru-hike for the colder months. I hope to hike Southbound and start sometime in mid - late May. I am a cold sleeper, and the "comfortable" temp ratings on the 2 bags I am trying to choose between are 16-degrees and 25-degrees.

Seems to me like I should opt for the 16-degree bag, but I've read posts by others about how their Montbell bags ended up being "too much" for their needs, etc. and I was just curious to hear the opinions of those who have experience with Montbell bags. Should I get the 16-degree bag or should I opt for the 25-degree bag since I really won't be cold weather camping much other than what I encounter on my thru-hike?

(Please refrain from attempting to convert me to hammock camping ... )
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

I have the mont-bell super stretch #2 bag. I have only used it a few nights. One was at around 15 degrees, and the other nights in the 40's or 50's. I was comfortable at the lower temps with mid weight tops and bottoms and socks on. I was in the hammock, so with the right pad on the ground it could have been warmer. When it is warmer I use it as a top quilt. When it is too warm, I just push my feet out to vent some heat.

The things I really like about the bag is the weight, compressability, and room. I am not a small bag fan, with the stretching of the bag it feels a lot roomier than it actually is. It also only weighs about 2 lbs and with the help of my sea to summit compression bag, compresses down to about a 7" x 7" x7" plug.

Hope this helps, notice the non hammock approach to the post.

Also I forgot to add, this is the bag I am using when I start sobo early next month. It along with the rest of my setup gives me a lot of flexiablity and temp range to sleep in.

Hammock Engineer: Thank you for that very helpful post!

Anytime, let me know if you have any questions. I got mine from Campsaver.com. They were running a big sale a couple months back.

I know -- they are having the sale again now and I'd like to make my decision in time to take advantage of it!!!

Images

Default My Montbell....

I have a #3--supposed to be good to 32 F. Well, I was really, really cold at 29F. My suggestion is get an extra 10 deg F. IMO, the down is on the skimpy side. No, I don't know the weight of down in the bag, but it sure seems flat to me. On the poitive side, the bag is well made and I've had almost no down leakage.

If I were going to buy replacement, I would get a 20 F down quilt, probably from form Speer.

I have the #2 super stretch long and my wife the reg. She's 5 feet tall and loves the regular, the cinchable (sp?) bottom makes a nice fluffy spot for her feet which normally get cold. I have yet to use it in the colder months but this thing puffs up mighty nice! We also plan on taking these on our Northbound thru in 07. Good luck with it!

++ New Posts ++