WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

:banana Trekking Pole-- Swiss Gear

Wanna try Trekking poles without spending alot of $$$. WEGNER- the maker of Swiss Army knives, makes alot of camping gear under the name SWISS GEAR. The SWISS GEAR TREKKING POLE is a 3 pc, telescopic, anti-shock, carbide tip, with a removeable rubber tip cover, a larger rubber tip and a basket.Compressed size is 26 inches and extend up to 54 inches, using the twist and lock method. You can google "Swiss Gear", or just go to ebay and search for "swiss gear trekking pole" to get good descriptions an photos. You will see that they are selling for around $20 plus shipping. BUT>>>>>>
    AT WALMART THEY ARE ONLY $9.97. in the camping dept. How can you go wrong at that price. I just started using a trekking pole, (finally gave up my hiking stick of 20 plus years). I love my $10 buck trekking pole. Somewhere I read a review that the SWISS GEAR pole's are actually lighter than LEKI's.

Images

I tried a set before I got my Lekis. They were comfortable, but weighed 13 ounces apiece, and the carbide tips rounded off very fast. I would only recommend them to people that don't hike very much.

Also, make sure you check them out in the store before you buy. I've picked up a few of these that did not stay put when telescoped out. Also, you can forget the basket. I guarantee it will fall off in the first mile unless you glue it on.

As an alternative, I also saw $13 poles at Target with antishock and ergonometric cork grips.

The Wicked Lobstah
    History will not judge us on our so called "progress," but on what we allow to endure.

These worked fine for 28days then fell apart.

Mine were dead after one 6 mile hike. Carbide tips were GONE, baskets had fallen off, locking between poles started off as pretty stable, had been reduced to ricketty, shaky, wobbly felt like they were gonna scope in with each step junk.

YMMV

Images

What are you people DOING to your poles??? I've had a pair for going on two years now, and never had any problems with them. I broke the basket on one, but that was after a lot of miles of use and it was my own dumb fault anyway...
    Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting. - J. J. Thompson

Registered User NativePennsylvanian's Avatar
    Images

I used one on a 30 mile section hike. The tip snapped off somewhere between miles 20 and 30. Got it caught between two PA rocks. Still functions though, it saved me from 3 or 4 bad falls.

I've got a pair of cheap generic Lekis, still fine after about six years use. They've done about three or four hundred miles so far.

I bought a pair of these (Swiss Gear) and so far really like them. I've done about 5 miles of steep roller coaster type hills and they seem to support my 310 lbs without issue.

Default I have two pair

I keep an extra pair for when a friend goes along for a hike

The pair that I use most of the time have 10 states and at least 500 miles on them. The tips are a bit worn and they are beginning to show a few dents and scrapes but they are still functional. For less than $10, one couldn't expect more.
    Shutterbug

im a newbie but how much do poles actually help? i've gone on plenty day hikes with no poles/problems and i am getting ready for a section hike. just wondering if i am going to regret not getting poles

Quote Originally Posted by navy111588 View Post
    im a newbie but how much do poles actually help? i've gone on plenty day hikes with no poles/problems and i am getting ready for a section hike. just wondering if i am going to regret not getting poles
    Borrow a pair and see how they work out for you. They're more useful with a larger load on the back, or in highly uneven terrain. There are a few conditions where they don't work -- extremely steep slopes, for example. Also, I think you'll find that "oldsters" find them more useful (or necessary) than "youngsters."

I put 120 miles on my swiss gear poles, no problems with the telescoping setup, but one of my carbide tips disappeared somewhere after 60 miles. Dunno about the baskets, I took them off immediatly...don't see how they would help on dirt/rock. I just ordered some Diamondback trekking poles for the AT. I like the poles mainly because they let my arms get a piece of the action...2100 miles of leg exercise, and my arms just swinging loose would probably make me a bit unproportional.

i have the Eddie Bauer poles that Target offers. they are 2yrs old and have over 300 miles on them with no issues. i secured the baskets with silicone sealer. they can be removed with a bit of effort but normal hiking they stay put just fine.. the main thing is to get poles that you like and are comfortable with. they can be 9.00 poles or 100.00 its really up to your preference

If you are on a long hike all polls will bend or break regardless of brand. The nice thing about Leki's is that you get free replacement at most of the outfitters. I had to replace the bottom shaft of my poles 2x each during my hike.

Images

Talking Swiss Gear Hiking Poles

Seems that there are alot of thoughts on the Swiss Gear poles.( I tossed the baskets) I originally posted this info, as some folks may like to try hiking poles, yet be a bit wobbley of spending a lot of money. If, After trying them out, you find you like hiking poles, you may want to invest in some top of the line poles. The $20 pair of cheap ones are always good for a back up, a friend to use, or pass them on to someone who may like to try poles. Any pole no matter the price may bend or break , be mindful of ALL your gear. As for me Im going to try and make a Tyvek and Swiss Gear Pole tent!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Asheville View Post
    Seems that there are alot of thoughts on the Swiss Gear poles.( I tossed the baskets) I originally posted this info, as some folks may like to try hiking poles, yet be a bit wobbley of spending a lot of money. If, After trying them out, you find you like hiking poles, you may want to invest in some top of the line poles. The $20 pair of cheap ones are always good for a back up, a friend to use, or pass them on to someone who may like to try poles. Any pole no matter the price may bend or break , be mindful of ALL your gear. As for me Im going to try and make a Tyvek and Swiss Gear Pole tent!
    *whistles*

That's exactly what I had in mind to do soon...

Thru' hiker one weekend at a time... vipahman's Avatar
    Images

I use my poles for hiking, skiing, breaking trail in winter and tent setup. It's still good after 2 years.
    -Avi
    AT completed: NJ6-1, NY13-2, CT5-2

I don't get the big deal with tips. My swiss gear poles made it all the way through my thru-hike. I compared them to the backups I had at home and about two inches of pole is gone on the tip, it never held me back.

Default Replacement Baskets

I use the SwissGear poles and have not had many problems with them. But, I lost a basket this weekend on a trek across the Presidential Range in New Hampshire. I bought them at Walmart but they do not carry replacement baskests. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++