WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default New Darlington Shelter & June Storms

Last Saturday I led a hike from Scott Farm over Blue Mtn. to route 850. We had lunch at Darlington. Folks from Mountain Club of Maryland were working on the shelter and privy. They have completely repainted the shelter and put the finishing touches on a new composting privy. Just a first rate job!!!

By the way, the storms in late June really did a number on the AT through the Cumberland Valley. The section I maintain (@ 4 miles south of Blue Mountain) had about 6 blowdowns and two sets of the plank walkway were swept almost 20 feet away. I finally got my section fixed over the holiday using a chainsaw and come-along. What a mess! It will probably take the maintaining clubs a while to fix everything. The good news is NO MORE DROUGHT!!!
    Early Bird 2007

Journal Entries
    Images

Default In case anyone is curious

As of April 17th, the spring at Darlington Shelter is running fine. All creeks nearby have good, clear flow.

Stayed at Darlington SH 5/19, SH in good condition, Privy really is the Tajmahal! LOTS of tent sites. and a cute fly catcher nest in the SH.

The Spring however was barely flowing, even had issues dipping water out of it. so carry water in!
    ~Christy

Stayed at Darlington on the first night of my Duncannon-to-Harpers Ferry section hike. Shelter in good shape. I slept soundly. The spring was flowing nicely but in early Spring with all the rain thus far, that was no surprise. I'm not sure I'd trust it in summer (of course, why would I hike there in summer?).

Looking to do a weekend trip from Darlington north through Duncannon and beyond...
    Has anyone been there recently and know how the springs are flowing?

Thanks!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonero View Post
    Looking to do a weekend trip from Darlington north through Duncannon and beyond...
    Has anyone been there recently and know how the springs are flowing?

Thanks!
    I'm not sure how the spring is right now but the first week in June the Darlington spring was flowing slowly and looked like it would peter out within a couple of weeks.

Images

I was there June 29 it was dry, filter and boil the water out of the stream by the shelter but they just had a group of thunderstorms might be flowing again
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

Quote Originally Posted by CowHead View Post
    I was there June 29 it was dry, filter and boil the water out of the stream by the shelter but they just had a group of thunderstorms might be flowing again
    It's nearly a mile from Darlington Shelter to anything that might be called a "stream" on either side. On the south side there is a warning for NOBO's at the next more reliable water source.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    It's nearly a mile from Darlington Shelter to anything that might be called a "stream" on either side. On the south side there is a warning for NOBO's at the next more reliable water source.
    like i said i filter it and boil it without issues but as stated above be careful of unknown water sources
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

++ New Posts ++