WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default class of 2007 thrus begin

by loosing weight. by simplifing.by going over gear and making lists like,....repairs needed,...pack lighter by.., etc etc.we count the fridays left and add up money saveable. we begin to assemble the food items with expiration dates that exceed our leaving date. we put on our game faces now. like nasa and a space launch,... we plan. trailys know how to plan. we list. thrusters love lists. and above and beyond all,... every thruhike dreamer counts. days weeks months .we count. and in spring, and latly in winter too,... we launch. not down trail,...down dream. and so , this thread asks,..what did you do this week to plan for the dreamquest so soon to be at our hungry doorsteps?today i paied a bill ,...bringing me one small step closer to a launch on feb 18th. what are you doing?
    matthewski

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone
    by loosing weight. by simplifing.by going over gear and making lists like,....repairs needed,...pack lighter by.., etc etc.we count the fridays left and add up money saveable. we begin to assemble the food items with expiration dates that exceed our leaving date. we put on our game faces now. like nasa and a space launch,... we plan. trailys know how to plan. we list. thrusters love lists. and above and beyond all,... every thruhike dreamer counts. days weeks months .we count. and in spring, and latly in winter too,... we launch. not down trail,...down dream. and so , this thread asks,..what did you do this week to plan for the dreamquest so soon to be at our hungry doorsteps?today i paied a bill ,...bringing me one small step closer to a launch on feb 18th. what are you doing?
    oh dear god...

Images

7 months, 24 days, 14 hours, 53 minutes, 29, 28, 27....
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

From PA moved to Marquette MI, ontop of the Northern Country Trail

18103798 seconds
    There’s no point in the destination if you can't enjoy the journey.

Aussie thru-hiking NOBO in 07 Smacky70's Avatar

Approximately 1388 Hours of staring at a monitor at work.
    Speaking of counting, by coincidence just yesterday I started off a countdown by putting up a post-it note with the 'number of days to go', up on my cubical wall.

As for preperation, last night (late-night shopping night) I went round to all the decent gear stores I knew to gather catalogues.

i figured as of this morning i have about 247 days left or something like that

this board should have a countdown timer so each planned thru hiker can see their departure date creeping up on them

Aussie thru-hiking NOBO in 07 Smacky70's Avatar

247 is exactly what is says on my post it note for today
    Looks like we'll most likely be meeting eachother on the trail.

excellent! good luck in preparing, let me know if you have any issues you'd like to discuss

taylor

Images

I have this on my desktop... http://www.nestersoft.com/timeleft/
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Default behold youngins!

i give you ,.......hotel marmot. my new bag. its a lefty. its a loaf of 2 lb sweett goose down.its 449.00 on my card. its in the mail from moosejaw. i got the helium eq 15 degree sweetheart. my old one i used last year is a marmot col eq -20 degree mansion of goose.but as much fun as it was to shock hikers with, alas,...it was heavy and hot. so now my dry packweight is 18 lbs.ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

i await the return of spring and the return of spring to my step!

pack lighter by:extra cell batt,tent floor,2 1/2 lbs of sleeping bag,extra tee shirt,extra light,extra banndanna,pile vest.

total so far; 5lbs
    matthewski

i'm kindof at a standstill for the moment. i'm done most of my gear buying aside from clothing, and i want to get in better shape before buying clothing items. (side note: i think my brother is getting sick of my being giddy over my "baby" muscles i've started growing)

so.. i exercise. i read. i've read so much, i got a binder full of info. mostly i'm just waiting for the time for me to go. i wait and i dream. [:

Images

Only about 7,895,520 minutes till my Thru Hike starts

Makes your pending thru seem a bit closer don't it

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

This week I bugeted my money out to see when the rest of my debt would be payed off (December) I planed a 10 day vacation in September for a practice hike... I decided on my sleeping bags for the trip and plan to buy them with a bonus in August.. I picked out my trail watch and knife... I got rid of some more crap in my house ( less to store), and I worked out for the first time in a long time... little sore..
    Oh yeah... and spent a crap load of time on Whiteblaze...

And that was just this week
    Live the Dream Without risk, there is no reward. Georgia to Maine. What a reward!

Default the tour de france is like a thru bike.

i gave away my tv a month ago cause im writing a book called the tv diet.so i have alot more time and energy to give to the planning,working,saving part of my thru.not watching the tour this year is good and bad. its allways great to do somthing other than tv.the countdowns are funny. i do wish we could have individual clocks running.226 days till i wake up in ammacalola shelter,put all my crap in my bag, throw down some gravy mix and bagle(trail biscuts and gravy)and slog up springer and over .i like to stay a mile past springer on 42 .
    matthewski

Images

I need to sell an office building, sell a house, move 1,500 miles, buy another house, buy another building, find someone to take over my business and plan food before 2/15/07.

Oh yeah, I need to pick out rain pants.

Spent close to $1,000 on all new equipment. Ordered my new ULA Catalyst this week. I am still fat but have nice gear!

Side Note: Brian from ULA is taking 2 months off in about 5 weeks. If you want a ULA pack and plan an early start you way want to get on the list now.
    The heaviest thing I carried was my attitude.
    Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free

Desire is the main ingredient for success

Images

i refuse to start nany earlier than st paddys day cause im not missing that party

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
    i refuse to start nany earlier than st paddys day cause im not missing that party
    I'm starting on St. Patty's cause it's going to be a party!!
    WhoAh

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Well, I can start a countdown again for the 2007 thru after taking a three week hiatus to go to Europe. Saw tons of kids with full backpacks tooling around Italy. They do NOT go ultra light there. ha ha

BTW - I informed my parents about my plans - they were NOT happy.
    Oh well.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

From PA moved to Marquette MI, ontop of the Northern Country Trail

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful
    BTW - I informed my parents about my plans - they were NOT happy.
    Oh well.
    Haha my mom knows and she thinks i'm going crazy... haven't told my dad yet that, so that will be fun.
    There’s no point in the destination if you can't enjoy the journey.

My mom wasn't too keen on the idea at first, but now she's bragging to everyone. Just another motivator..
    Today I seam sealed my tent. What a job!! It's hotter than you-know-where here in FL, and the sand isn't great for keeping up tent stakes. I was sweating my tush off..but it's finally done! I actually got the tent a while ago, but it seemed that every day I had off it threatened to rain. It's still out drying now..
    Lately I've just been waking up at night and worrying about odd little things about my hike. Then I can't get back to sleep. Is anyone else doing the same?
    Mindi

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++