WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Alcohol stove

Thanks HOI and Chris - when I built my stove, I added some finberglass becaused it seemed to be the thing to do. I tried lighting it separately with a lighter first to see what would happen - it sort of melted, smelled and turned grey. I really questioned the fiberglass usage. Then I realized that there is really no combustion in the alchohol chamber - just pressure - so there's no flame contact with the fiberglass. It's really pretty intriging how alcohol stoves work.

Images

The first couple of times the stove won't work as well. It seems that the fiberglass needs to get a little burnt up before good things start to happen.

Ah, whoops, silly me.

Yes, the fiberglass would tend to wick the alcohol which ought to help in cooler temps. An alternative to the fiberglass is perlite -- downside is that little bits of the perlite can find their way out of the stove.

in the open designs the fiberglass prevents fuel sloshing and evens the burn out a bit - it normally turns gray but that doesnt hurt it none....stinks the first time tho...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++