WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hubba and Seedhouse users ? your .02

I'm checking out and comparing the Hubba to the BA Seedhouse 1

So far what I find is: ( Price is avg. full retail)

Hubba - 17 sf - Freestanding - 2#3oz. - around $249
    BAShse - 28 SF - Freestanding - 2#.14oz - around $248

It seems that only benefit would be gaining a whopping 11 sf of room. Do any current users of either have reviews? I did a SixMoons LunarSE, and just didn't like all the staking.

ad astra per aspera

With regards to staking, I believe the BA requires 13 stakes for a full pitch. I don't own one so maybe you can pitch it with less stakes and still get a good pitch but make sure before you buy it.

If I was going to get one of those tents I would get the hubba. I like the easier pitch requiring less stakes, more head room, bigger vestibule and it is a true freestanding design with all 4 corners supported with the poles. I have slept in one and it is very slim but it doesn't bother me at all. It's so slim that I wouldn't be surprised if people set the tent up (without fly) in shelters to get away from bugs so it has some versatility to it.

Either way they are both quality tents. What ever fits your own personal requirements the best is the one to get.

Have fun.

Hey there Smile. I have the SL1 and I recommend it highly. The floor is fragile, but all in all it's a great lightweight tent. Also, there are several on EBay for $125.00, and it can be staked out with 4 stakes and your hiking poles if you use them. Take care,

Jim

Thanks guys. Jim, do you mean you can put your hiking poles on the ends to "stake" the tent?
    ad astra per aspera

Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post
    Thanks guys. Jim, do you mean you can put your hiking poles on the ends to "stake" the tent?

Yes, exactly Smiles!! You'll like the SL1 if you get it, but the Hubba is good too. Take care,

Jim

Images

Front entry vs side entry. I checked out a Hubba and was impressed. Good zipper. Not quite enough elbow room. I worried about condensation where my elbows pushed outward. I would probably buy a Hubba+1/2, if they made one.

I will never buy another tent without "hands on." Sure you can return it, but once you have it, and it is better than what you had...

Images

I myself own the hubba and I bought the seadhouse sl1 and its not freestanding. the vestival is smaller and im 210lbs and I had a hard time crawling in and out of it. I love my hubba and yes you are a little crambed with all your gear but if your tent bound because of rain you will love the vestival. Its got plenty of room to cook up your food and you can sit up very well. I am about to purchase the hubba hubba that weighs about 1 pound more so I can take along someone with me.
    "It's better to try and fail than not to try at all"
    " www.myspace.com/bigfonsie "

Quote Originally Posted by fonsie View Post
    I myself own the hubba and I bought the seadhouse sl1 and its not freestanding. the vestival is smaller and im 210lbs and I had a hard time crawling in and out of it. I love my hubba and yes you are a little crambed with all your gear but if your tent bound because of rain you will love the vestival. Its got plenty of room to cook up your food and you can sit up very well. I am about to purchase the hubba hubba that weighs about 1 pound more so I can take along someone with me.

I am not sure which SL1 you purchased, but mine is definately freestanding.

Images

the sl1 you had to stake out the back 2 corners to get it to stay and it just didnt seem to have the head or vestival room that my hubba had.. now the sl2 is comepleatly freestanding at less weight than the hubba and roomy for 2 but the vestival is smaller...im thinking also of getting the sl2 and testing it out
    "It's better to try and fail than not to try at all"
    " www.myspace.com/bigfonsie "

Quote Originally Posted by fonsie View Post
    the sl1 you had to stake out the back 2 corners to get it to stay and it just didnt seem to have the head or vestival room that my hubba had.. now the sl2 is comepleatly freestanding at less weight than the hubba and roomy for 2 but the vestival is smaller...im thinking also of getting the sl2 and testing it out

I agree that the Hubba has more headroom and is probably easier to get in and out of (side entry), but the SL1 is freestanding. Just like any other freestanding tent, you have to stake it out for optimal room.

The freestanding thing is important. With the getting in and out, what was difficult, is it door location? "Tall" from floor or where zipper starts so you have to 'climb over' it?

I hope to find a place closeby St. Louis so that I can see both, but I may have to go farther for an outfitter. Can't wait to get out of mizzery.
    ad astra per aspera

Smile, I looked and compared the SL-1 and the Hubba side-by-side. Both are very good tent's, both have their advantages and disadvantages, it all comes down to which one fits your needs and comfort level best.

I went with the SL-1 because of the weight and interior space, plenty of width for my bag & pad, pack, boots, clothes bag and a few whatnots. At 5'4" I have plenty of headroom. True the vestibule is small, but it's big enough for a pack and boots. I don't have any trouble getting in and out the front door. I'm looking at mine right now, it IS freestanding, staking it out will open up the interior space more. But when you're setting it up in the rain, the stakes can wait.

The Hubba has more headroom, equal at both ends I believe and a large side entry and vestibule. For me it lacked on the interior space, just enough for my bag/pad and that's about it, maybe my boots. Yes, I have to keep my boots inside with me, don't want to find an uninvited creepy crawly living in one rent free.

Images

I have the Hubba and really like it. Before I bought it I looked at the Hubba, a Marmot EOS and the BA Seedhouse1. After reading some reviews and seeing them in person I decided on the Hubba. It held up through rain, wind and hail storms at 10,000 feet without any problems.
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Slowest Hiker On Earth

I had the Seedouse and I call it partially freestanding, you have to stake out the 2 ends near the foot to get optimum space.

But it's freestanding enough to pick up and move around if you need to.
    I have a hubba and haven't tried it yet so I can't comment

The hubba is 2 lbs 13 ounces though (minimum weight)

ut it's freestanding enough to pick up and move around if you need to.
    I have a hubba and haven't tried it yet so I can't comment
    I like that option, that is the only thing I have found disagreeable with the tarptent type shelters. Leave it to me to pick a spot, make sure nothing is under my nest only to get inside and have some root or other obstacle poking my pad ( I had my thermarest fixed twice last hike due to punctures), and then it was too late or I was too tired to move it.

So the size inside the SH1 is much larger, but the entrance not as accessible as the Hubba is what I'm hearing.

How about condensation, anyone had any major issues with that. It was the one thing that has kep me away from the North Face Solo, like that one ( and the price tag is significantly less along with a lighter weight).
    ad astra per aspera

There have been a couple recent threads here pertaining to solo tents etc..incl the SL1
    Here's one of them
    And if you want more reading about it here's another fairly recent thread
    Last edited by woodsy; 10-29-2007 at 09:31. Reason: added 2nd thread
    WALK ON

I have a Hubba and wouldn't trade it for anything. It is very easy to get in and out of. I've been in rain, snow and high winds from 800' to 12,500' and it hasn't leaked a drop or let me down yet. I have not had any problems with condensation at all. If the humidity and temp is right, you will get condensation on the underside of the fly but it dries easily and never drips into the tent.
    I am 5'6" and I can put my shoes in each corner of the head end and my pack across the foot end and have me and all my gear inside but you don't need to as the vestibule is big enough for all your gear.
    Found mine on ebay for $112.
    good luck,

geek

Images

I'm looking for a tent to take into the Arctic next summer. I have been using a Tarptent, but am thinking I'll need something that will stand up to strong winds. A friend suggested the Hubba. What do you think?
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

This guy didn't seem to have a problem with a tarptent in the Brooks Range.

http://www.bucktrack.com/Alaska_Broo..._Traverse.html

I would appreciate any comments you might offer on your tarptent, as I am considering buying or making one. I read the first dozen or so of your SOBO journal entrys and I don't remember any comments on it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    This guy didn't seem to have a problem with a tarptent in the Brooks Range.

http://www.bucktrack.com/Alaska_Broo..._Traverse.html

I would appreciate any comments you might offer on your tarptent, as I am considering buying or making one. I read the first dozen or so of your SOBO journal entrys and I don't remember any comments on it.
    Thanks for that link! I had meant to look up his journal to see what he used for shelter.

I carried a Virga I, and used it up through Vermont. Then the mosquitoes were pretty much gone, and the shelters ALWAYS had lots of space in them, so I slept in shelters. I carried the Tarptent for the rest of the hike, but didn't use it anymore.

I used the Virga I on the JMT this summer. It was great, but California's weather was dry and lovely every day I was there, so its abilities weren't tested at all.

I really like the Tarptents. (I've also got a two-person Cloudburst.) Neither Tarptent is showing any sign of deterioration or imminent failure after three and four years of pretty regular use, so I really have no excuse to buy a new tent of any sort. You've just shot down my best angle for "needing" a new tent.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++