WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Snow Peak Giga Power stove & wind

I purchased a Snow Peak Giga Power canister stove and thought I had made a good choice. I just read a report from Backpacking Light that tested canister stoves and this stove didn't rate very well, mostly, it seemed, because it didn't perform well in windy conditions. Even when a windscreen was used it didn't do well. I am now thinking about getting a MSR Pocket Rocket.

Does anyone have any experience with the Snow Peak and wind? Which stove is a better choice for my JMT trip this summer?

Images

Take a look at the two articles on BPL about making a 'real' windscreen. Now, I am ABSOULTELY NOT recommending that you make and use a real windscreen -- it is quite possible to blow yourself up if you are not careful. So don't go buy some Tyvek, and don't buy any bamboo skewers (the kind you don't use for making shishkebab), and don't use them to make a tall windscreen. Absolutely don't make it as tall as your pot, and don't put air holes in the bottom, and don't wrap it around your Snow Peak with several inches of clearance and one side completely open. If you decide to try that after all those don'ts, make sure you feel the canister occasionally -- it should be cool or cold, not warm or hot.

Don't visit these pages:

http://tinyurl.com/f6yr8
    http://tinyurl.com/ggr4q

Hope this (doesn't???) help. <smile>
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I've owned the SP GigaPower for a while now, have used it in windy and still conditions. As for a wind screen, the above advice is solid. I experimented with all kinds of things before settling on my current system. With a screen this stove has no problems in windy conditions. You can also use other canisters with this stove, though the official word is not to.

As for comparing this stove with the pocket rocket...go to your outfitter with your stove, compare it side by side with the pocket rocket. I think you'll find little difference between them. I chose the SP over the PR for the stand, and the weight. Make your own wind screen and you're stylin'.

It might make a difference depending on what you plan to cook. I go with one pot meals: just boil water and add to pre-mixed freezer bag, wait, eat.

YMMV

I made a wind screen out of a pie plate using the same pattern as the one they sell, but it is much lighter. I also use three sections of flashing taped together to form a screen. The side of the stove away from the wind does not have to be covered. I have also just used rocks to make a wind buffer. I think the giga self -ignitorr stove is an excellent one. ( I have gone from that to alcohol, to esbit because of its ease of use)

http://community.webshots.com/myphot...ecurity=qFGLOd
    Last edited by Rambler; 07-08-2006 at 23:14.

Do not waste any more money, go to where you will be down the road anyway...buy or make an alcohol stove...unless you are almost always cooking for two!

I use the giga and am quite satisfied. As far as wind is concerned, there are plenty of instant wind screens at you disposal. Just put a log, some rocks, or even your pack on the windy side. a "wind screen" doesnt have to be right up on the flame to be effective.

Compared to the pocket rocket the giga has 4 prongs to hold a pot as opposed to 3.

recently I have fasioned a wood stove out of coat hangers to use on long treks so I can use the giga when its wet or I am lazy thus reducing the need to carry multiple cannisters.
    My guns are not as dangerous as Ted Kennedy's car

I use a Giga and have no problem using it in windy conditions. I've seen other comparative tests between the Giga and the Pocket Rocket and the Giga always outperformed.

I've sucessfully used two types of windscreens. One is a tall screen that is as tall as the top of my pot when it is on the stove and wraps 3/4 around, allowing just enough heat to escape to prevent the canister from heating up.

The other is using the windscreen made by Snowpeak, which is really nothing more than a bottom reflector, and a foil that I set on top of the reflector and wrap around my pot.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

I have the gigapower and with the windscreen it seems to do pretty well, but just not in a high wind. This doesnt mean you cant use a rock or log for a windcreen though.

I have used the snowpeak for a few years now..I own the windscreen for it but only use it car camping because of the weight. I have always used windbreaks..rocks, trees, backbacks ect when needed. I too have evolved to using esbitt on backpacking trips BUT if I going out on the trail with my Snowpeak I would definitly go with the windscreen from the first response. I would NEVER NEVER NEVER put a metal windscreen around a canister stove because it does reflect heat back on the cannister which is in the process of chilling. I have seen a stove blow...it aint pretty and the backcountry is a terrible place to be if you have just been hit in the face by a flaming peice of cannister.

Images

I just purchased a used Giga Power and all this info is extremely useful. I was wondering how wind would affect the stove. It seems like a nice stove but I think I still will prfer my alcohol stove.
    "For those who understand, no explanation is needed; for those who do not, none will do." ---Jerry Lewis

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u
    I just purchased a used Giga Power and all this info is extremely useful. I was wondering how wind would affect the stove. It seems like a nice stove but I think I still will prfer my alcohol stove.
    I tend to view the alcohol vs. canister decision based on the length of my hike. If I'm out for a week then a small canister will do just fine for boiling water. Once I have to consider re-supply (and canister disposal) then the alcohol option looks better, somewhere in the 9-10 day range. Of course, both options will work regardless of setting.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

i love my giga. while i respect and understand the pepsi-can-alchohol-stove lobby, when i want to heat up jamoke i want it hot and i want it fast. some of the best survival advice i ever got was from a salty old british marine gunner.

get your hot wets, lad. got to have your hot wets.

if you want you can say my giga is my luxury item.

Images

Default safer stove

Do not waste any more money, go to where you will be down the road anyway...buy or make an alcohol stove...unless you are almost always cooking for two!
    Consider using a stove like this one for larger meals.

My wisperlite boiled 8 cups in 9.5 min.

This open flame alcohol stove boiled 8 in 10.5 min.

This is a wick style stove.

Has a central wick made of fiberglass.

This is the flame pattern under the 5 1/2 in diameter pot

The fiberglass will absorb 1 1/2 ounces of denatured alcohol completely. If the stove is tipped over the fuel will not spill out.

Maximum fuel capacity is 2 ounces.

The stove will boil 8 cups ( 1/2 gallon) of water in 10 1/2 min. using 2 ounces of denatured alcohol and continue to boil for an additional 4 min. Tests were made in a 5 1/2 diameter aluminum pot.

Will boil 2 cups in 5 1/2 min. using 1/2 ounce denatured alcohol.(3 cup pot)

Will boil 4 cups in 6 1/2 min. using 1 ounce of denatured alcohol.(8 cup pot)

Will boil 6 cups in 8 1/2 min. using 1 1/2 ounce denatured alcohol.(8 cup pot)

Stove weighs 1.9 ounces

Stove is complete with attached pot stand

Images

what can are you using as a stove in this pic
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Do you have any plans to make some for sale?

The numbers are impressive.

Images

Another option for a windscreen on a giga-ti...

Homemade Windscreen for Snowpeak Gigapower T

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fireboy
    Do you have any plans to make some for sale?

The numbers are impressive.
    Fireboy,

If you ask Zelph he'll probably tell you how to make one yourself. Hell, he might even send you one if you ask nice.

He seems like a decent sort.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Journal Entries
    Images

Sgt. Rock's website has come comparisons on stoves. It's worth reading over. I had a Stratus and gave it up. Was too tired to mess with it each evening. Esbitt has been working well for me now. -SunnyWalker
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Look at the MSR Wind Pro, three ounces heavier than a Pocket Rocket but a windscreen poses no problem with the remote canister.

++ New Posts ++