WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Default Where to do a 'test' backpacking trip?

The dino's are ready to try a 'test' backpacking trip. We will only be able to be gone for about 3 - 4 days and, thus, need to stay somewhat close to home. We live about 15 miles SSE of Knoxville, TN.

A second consideration - the female dino has ortho issues that become far more painful if she overheats or become dehydrated. Give the fact that it is July & the snakes are ordering air conditioners here in the south and the fact that the female dino has not climbed a mountain with her full backpack since an auto accident 2 yrs ago, we are thinking a relatively flat trail (ridges are fine) might be the wisest choice.

Any suggestions?

Images

As much as I hate them for the mess, there are some horse trails in the Smokies.

Another place where the hiking is easy is Mammoth Cave National Park in KY, it would be a few hours drive, but the hiking is easy.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Oh, another place about 4.5 to 5 hours away is the Sipsey Wilderness in Alabama. It would be hotter than staying north, but the hiking is great and lots of water available.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

The Cumberland Gap National Park in Middleboro KY has a 20 mile trail called the Ridge Trail. It's a good hike with plenty to see. They have an old settlement on top of the mountain called the Hensley Settlement you can explore. They also have the Sand Cave and the White Rocks Cliffs. The trails runs from Middlesboro to Ewing VA.

Mrs. Dino.....I would 2ed Mammoth Cave area as well. Also, might try looking at Big South Fork which is a little closer to you. Another thought is around the Stone Door area. Lots of good trails there, but watch the terrian.

Have a great shakedown - you'll probably get humid anywhere on the E.Seaboard this time of year. My first shakedown years ago was in July - it was great practice and the heat made it easier on the muscles just a bit IMO.
    ad astra per aspera

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Hiker
    Another thought is around the Stone Door area. Lots of good trails there, but watch the terrian.
    A second vote for Savage Gulf (Stone Door). Its about 2.5-3 hours from Knoxville. The walk to Hobbs Cabin is an easy one depending upon what trailhead you use. http://www.state.tn.us/environment/nh/natareas/savage/

Great place! Ask Neo.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

That's the Gulf's name!! All I could think of was Scott's Gulf (Virgin Falls area) and I knew that wasn't correct. Thanks Mowgli.....Savage Gulf is the place. Hobbs Cabin is a great suggestion Mrs. Dino. if you have never been I would plan on it. You can make it as easy or as rough as you want. Crowds are never a concern, parking close to the ranger station, and pick of several trails. Check out S. Cumberland State Park which includes Stone Door, Hobbs Cabin, Foster Falls, plus several other coves and natural areas.

Images

Thanks for all the replies - I never dreamed I'd get so much input. It looks like the North Rim Trail in Savage Gulf to Hobbs Cabin is going to be the destination for this trip - and Mammoth Cave NP is going to be the next trip - and the Ridge Trail in Cumberland Gap after that. I should be in good enough shape after those to get back on the southern part of the AT with a pack. It has been a long time coming and I'm excited.

Default You...

might want to check with the Savage Gulf side (east) about the water situation. We were in there about a month ago, but we didn't go all the way around to the cabin. They advised us that the water between the trailhead (or the headwaters of the falls) and the cabin was pretty much non-existent, and it's continued to be dry since then...

Images

Thanks for the heads up. I'll call the ranger station before leaving and change my destination if that is the case. I don't want to risk dehydration in this weather.

Savage Gulf is a great place to be but I rather be up there in the late fall or winter. I was up there 3 summers ago and did not ask about the water when I signed in. When I got to the camping area I found out that there was no water and since I was planning on water being there I did not have enough for the night. So I just turned around and headed back out. It was a long day.

Water is still an issue, but this weekend the Cumberland Wild will have several hikes in the area. I don't think you will see many of them (dayhikers) near Hobbs Cabin tho. We (Matt from thebackpacker.com, and several others) are planning a trip to Stone Door, down into the
    Gulf and up Big Creek Trail with a side trip to Ranger Falls, then up to Alum Gap (where I did my first backpack about 10 years ago) then back to Stone Door. We will have to go to Ranger Falls for water since Alum Gap is currently dry. We hope to get over there before the crowds start coming in.
    http://www.cumberlandwild.com/splash.asp

Images

The male dino is ill so the trip is own hold for now. May happen about July 23 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs
    .......... the female dino has ortho issues that become far more painful if she overheats or become dehydrated. Give the fact that it is July & the snakes are ordering air conditioners here in the south and the fact that the female dino has not climbed a mountain with her full backpack since an auto accident 2 yrs ago, we are thinking a relatively flat trail (ridges are fine) might be the wisest choice.
    Any suggestions?

Darn FD, you make conditions sound pretty bad. If you where a close friend telling me this, I probably tell him to do loop hikes around the cemetery!!LOL

Images

::: Mrs. Dino chases Ridge all over WB with her offset metal canes :::

Default Long ago...

(think late 70S), a group of us went to Stone Door for a January hike. The daytime temps hovered around plus five and the falls were frozen (one guy almost slid off). Since we were so crazy and the place was so empty, the rangers gave us permission to camp down in the gulf, instead of the designated campsites on the rim. It was a neat, but very cold hike. One stray dog accompanied us down into the gorge and kept edging into the campfire until we would smell his coat burning and would push him back out. He decided to sleep cuddled up to my back, but outside the tent. The only problem was that he took off after every skunk or other beastie that came by, baying all the way, and, then he'd come back, thunk into my back and semi-collapse the tent. After about three reps, it earned him a swift kick and me some rest. One odd thing was that the creek in the bottom, as it surfaced, dived underground, and then surfaced again, was not frozen like the falls. I guess its underground sojourns were warm enough to protect it from freezing...

Images

How bout Joyce Kilmer Slickrock Wilderness. Less than 50 miles or so from Louisville.

I hear it's fantastic hiking.

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Images

I considered Slickrock, but I'm not sure I can handle the steep ridges there just yet.

Default For sure...

getting to the ridges in that area is a problem. It used to be possible to take FS 181 (?), by car, north from the Skyway to around 1.5 miles from Bob (Stratton) Bald. From there, the ridge can be followed around to Naked Ground and on to Hangover Lead. The FS road is now gated, and, if my old memory serves, it makes it about an 8 mile walk north to Bob Bald, most of it gradual. Bob Bald can be reached from Wolf Laurel, but it's around a 1400' climb, with some steep spots, around 6.5 miles. Naked Ground can be reached from Joyce Kilmer, but with a steep climb at the end. Likewise, Big Fat Gap accesses both Slickrock Creek and Hangover Lead (down/up), but, once again with a steep climb. If distance is not that important, the FS road to Bob Bald would be the most gradual. There are a lot of better views (Insh'Allah) in this area than in Savage Gulf...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++