WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bad experience with Al's Radio CAb shuttle service

On Sunday, July 9,Angela Adams (my wife) arrived in Staunton, VA via train and stayed overnight at the Howard Johnson's Hotel. That evening she contacted Al's Radio Cabs, to request car service from Howard Johnson's Hotel, Staunton, VA, to RipRap parking lot in Shenandoah National Park, Skyline Drive. Arrangements were made for their service to pick up Angela on Monday, July 10 at 6:00 AM. A $30.00 fee was quoted. Upon pick up, a young bleary eyed driver, who said he had been on duty all night, initially traveled the wrong way. Angela clarified his mistake and confirmed their destination. Seeing that he was overtired and drifting into the other lane Angela asked if he was alright and able to drive. He said yes, rolled the windows down and turned the radio up very loud. Shortly thereafter the driver was radioed and asked his location. He replied and said they were in route to RipRap parking area. The dispatcher replied that that was not the original destination and was too far. To go all the way to RipRap would cost Angela $75.00. No other destination had ever been mentioned. Angela told the driver (and dispatcher) that she had been quoted a price of $30.00 from the Staunton Howard Johnson's to RipRap parking area the evening before and under no circumstance would she succumb to this abrupt price change. The dispatcher went off line and Angela repeated to the driver that a price was quoted and that she needed to get to RipRap. At that point the dispatcher came back on the radio and asked if she had agreed to pay the $75.00. When the driver said no he was instructed to pull over immediately and let Angela out. He did just that. He abandoned Angela Adams on the side of the road on Sky Line Drive. When he asked for $30.00 she said no, they had not kept their agreement to bring her to her destination. At that point the driver turned the car around and left Angela. These actions display gross negligence and a failure of good faith, not to mention abandonment in an unfamiliar and remote area. Angela Adams was left to hike 14 miles to her evening's destination instead of the 5 miles she had intended. This was to be the first day on the Appalachian Trail of a 10-day hike that will cover approximately 8 miles a day. The first day was planned as a "lighter" 5-mile hike to help break the trip in. Instead, she was forced to hike 14 miles to her destination. This typical and criminal "bait and switch" is usually found in cities upon which tourists are preyed. This is not what one would expect in the rural locals of Appalachia and the gentile south.

Angela found Al's Radio Cabs on the PATC web site, listed as a reputable company and shuttle service. Obviously, they are not a reputable company, and clearly not interested in the health and welfare of hikers.

Images

If it were me, I would go on up the food chain and find out who they answer to. The situation as you described it is wholly unacceptable. I'm glad she made it through safely. Just my $.02.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

You should definitely inform the PATC of this ...
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Staunton to Riprap for only $30.00? Maybe from a trail angel, definitely not from a cab company. That's about 35 miles one-way (maybe a bit more), and unless the cab company can reasonably expect to find a return customer or some other business in the general area of RipRap, they are going to want to be compensated for the return. Same thing could be said about many AT shuttle services. $75.00 or more seems closer to reality.

But if Angela can prove she was quoted $30.00, IMHO legally and morally she is in the right here. And it sure sounds like she was treated shabbily by both the driver and dispatcher regardless of whether she could prove her case.

What probably happened is the person who gave her the quote made an honest mistake, not knowing where RipRap actually was, and the driver and dispatcher refused to honor it. Those of us who know the area would have immediately sensed this was one of those "too good to be true" scenarios, but someone from outside the area would not.

Absolutely, report it to PATC and take it to the cab company's higher-ups.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Just received an e-mail that originated at ATC, passed thru PATC, that a report was indeed made. They are seeking other complaints, if any exist, against the cab company. The e-mail indicated if multiple complaints are made against a provider they are dropped from the ATC list.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim T.
    ................ Obviously, they are not a reputable company, and clearly not interested in the health and welfare of hikers.

Maybe Al just doesn't like Yankee's

If that was my ole lady done that way I would request a personal ride from riprap to staunton and when the cabbie showed up and if it be the same one I would beat the living ****tin hell out him and let EMS come and get his ass and for sure his cabbie would need towing.Just my word if and that happen to my ole lady.

Images

My personal experience: (almost) ALL dispatchers and calltakers are Idiots and pathalogical liars!!!!

90% of the ones I have met & worked for are incapable of telling the truth. Met one who if his pants were on fire and admiing it would save his life, would still deny it, even tho telling the truth would be to his benefit. In 25 years of dealing with them, I have only once seen one disciplined for screwing up. And that took letters of protest by ALL of the county Police & Fire chiefs.

Sorry for the rant, I have issues.

Thanks for relating this experience! I will mark them as a ride to avoid.

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Quote Originally Posted by napster
    If that was my ole lady done that way I would request a personal ride from riprap to staunton and when the cabbie showed up and if it be the same one I would beat the living ****tin hell out him and let EMS come and get his ass and for sure his cabbie would need towing.Just my word if and that happen to my ole lady.
    Now that's the ******* spirit!

Or catch a lift and leave a cheap suitcase in the floorboard with Peppy Le Peu in it. You know they gonna look!!!

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

You know what'd really be funny? If the entire the hiker community would call them, repeatedly, with bogus ride requests. Maybe 7:00 p.m. on weekends until 2:00 a.m. until... say... 'till September that'd really be funny.

Of course, I am not urging or would not condone this sort of behavior
    ~~^^^~~^^~^^^~~~^^^^^~^~
    Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Austexs
    You know what'd really be funny? If the entire the hiker community would call them, repeatedly, with bogus ride requests. Maybe 7:00 p.m. on weekends until 2:00 a.m. until... say... 'till September that'd really be funny.

Of course, I am not urging or would not condone this sort of behavior
    Right. Anybody got the phone number?

I've got tequila and a tape recorder around here somewhere....
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge
    Maybe Al just doesn't like Yankee's
    Pinhead.

Do-it-yourself pepsi can stoves - $20 each. Amigi'sLastStand's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge
    Or catch a lift and leave a cheap suitcase in the floorboard with Peppy Le Peu in it. You know they gonna look!!!
    I've done this.

Well, it wasnt a skunk, but a chunk of meunster cheese. I shoved it under the seat of a cab company that had baited me on a ride home from the Orlando Airport. $27 became $57 halfway home. I had $35 dollars in my pocket. I was told to pay for the ride, about $22 at that point, and told to get out, or they'd call the police. They dropped me at 50 and 436, for those who know the area. In the South, I aint winnin this one, no matter how principled it was, so I gave in with vengeance on my mind.
    Well, later, I called em for a ride to the bar down the street. I stuffed the cheese under the seat. My buddies and I laughed our asses off.
    I have no idea how many days it took baking in the florida sun to start to stink, but I bet they never got the smell out.
    You are in heaven.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Amigi'sLastStand
    I've done this.

Well, it wasnt a skunk, but a chunk of meunster cheese. I shoved it under the seat of a cab company that had baited me on a ride home from the Orlando Airport.
    Shrimp. Small, powerful and lingering.

I found this out the hard way after a fishing trip. Those things stink to high heaven after a few days!
    ~~^^^~~^^~^^^~~~^^^^^~^~
    Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Austexs
    Shrimp. Small, powerful and lingering.

I found this out the hard way after a fishing trip. Those things stink to high heaven after a few days!
    Can of tuna, cheeper, similar smell.

Images

Chicken juice -- you know, the stuff that if you forget and throw it in your kitchen trash can you are suddenly reminded the next day when you walk in the front door? A little of that in the ol' cab carpet should do the trick.

Images

Just my twisted imagination, but: I can see it now, Al's cleaning bill is $30.00, when the cleaner arrives, "Nope it is really $75.00"
    Poetic isn't it.

Doctari.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Doctari
    Just my twisted imagination, but: I can see it now, Al's cleaning bill is $30.00, when the cleaner arrives, "Nope it is really $75.00"
    Poetic isn't it.

Doctari.

Yeah, Karma's a real mo-fo!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++