WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hikers killed by bears?

There is a developing story near Seattle. The bodies of two female hikers were found "near a trailhead" north of Seattle. One report says that they were actually 3 miles up the trail. So far, officials are being very cautious about saying anything about cause of death, but the rumors are that they were killed by a bear or bears. I am sure that there will be more news during the day today.

Here is a link to the story:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/...ml?source=mypi
    Shutterbug

That's pretty thin.

Wait for more info.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

Thars bears in them thar woods. And now they's two ded vimins... Musta been dem burrs I reckon....

I wanna hear it from the dept of wildlife first.

Its not too likely that some bears stalked two women, killed them, and then left them together in the woods...

But hey, I'm no biologist.

Bless the families of those two women though, I can't even imagine.

Images

Read a post about a bear attack at Low Gap Shelter about 10 years ago. Does anyone know where to get documented records of bear attacks for GA & NC? Also, would like to see if there is any record of hiker 'incidents' that details what the incident was (snakebite, wild hog attack, beaten up by mouse at shelter, etc.).
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Seriously, this looks much like the early reports of other double murders on hiking trails. I'm waiting until they say they think it was a bear before hunting down Smoky...

Default One of the tv reports indicated that bears are suspected..

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs
    Seriously, this looks much like the early reports of other double murders on hiking trails. I'm waiting until they say they think it was a bear before hunting down Smoky...

One of the TV reports originally said that a bear attack is suspected, and that officials were looking for two bears. That information has now been dropped from the reports.

Shutterbug

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

One of the TV reports originally said that a bear attack is suspected, and that officials were looking for two bears. That information has now been dropped from the reports.
    Can you give us the website for the TV station(s) that are reporting this.

Thanks.

Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Bears are not suspects, not unless they were packing!!!

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

This report in the local newspaper says the deaths are being investigated as homocides. Investigators appeared to have ruled out a wild animal attack.

Default The bears are off the hook!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs
    This report in the local newspaper says the deaths are being investigated as homocides. Investigators appeared to have ruled out a wild animal attack.
    http://www.king5.com is now reporting that the victims were a mother and daughter and that they were shot. I guess that lets the bears off the hook.

It seems that the intital tv report was speculative.
    Shutterbug

Damn homicidal bears. Who's giving them guns???

Bearanoia big destroyer! Buncha doomsdayers. They were murdered by humans. Betcha.

Images

My condolences to the family. I hope they hunt down the whack job who did this.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

tideblazer
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Bearanoia big destroyer! Buncha doomsdayers. They were murdered by humans. Betcha.
    I agree doesn't make one lick of sense for teh bear theory
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Bearanoia big destroyer!
    I always knew you were a Kinky dude.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Journal Entries
    Images

i've encountered a few bears in my life that were packing pistols, in fact they were even packing handcuffs, night sticks, and badges too..............i knew i had better do what they were instructing or most likely i would be found dead too at a trail head some where.......

really though, i sure hope they find the person or persons responsible for what sounds like a cowardly brutal act and i know their families must be grieving deeply.....

WHAT?!? There aren't killer bears on the outskirts of Seattle?!?! I'm gobsmacked!!
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Bear's with guns...
    If this trend spreads, we might want to rethink this whole pepper-spray thing. I think we might be outgunned.
    But just bearly.

++ New Posts ++