The Ore Hill Shelter is a open sided leanto of logs. Built only a couple of years ago it is in pretty good condition with a very good roof. Water source is very poor being a small set of pools located in a little ravine about 50 yards SW of the shelter. In the summer it may be dry or nearly so. The Privy is located about 100 yards E and consists of 3 half walls and a "gangplank" style door that no longer raises so there is minimal privacy.

Mice are a problem.

The "gangplank" privy door is due for rebuilding into a functional door as soon as I can get in there to do the work. The new door will still be a half door to match the walls. The privy pit is nearly full, so the location will be changing soon I hope.

Coming NOBO last sure water is at the Rte 25 crossing, and from there to the shelter is VERY buggy and swampy on the Atwell Hill trail section.

Coming SOBO last sure water is from the stream crossing just before the Rte 25C crossing at the big Power Lines. Continuing SOBO, You will walk beside the "manmade" Ore Hill Mine, supply pond. Since Ore Hill Mine is a Superfund site from Lead Ore contamination, I don't think that I would take water from there. However, the mine itself is slightly downhill S/W from the pond and is currently being worked over by the USFS/EPA. The pond looks like a beaver pond, but is long and narrow with the earthen dam at the W end.

Hillwalker