WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Default Are Snowshoes needed in the South in December/January

I really did not think about getting snowshoes before talking to a couple people lately. The people I talked to did not have any experience on the AT or in the South in winter, so I thought I would pose the question.

Will I need snowshoes come December or January? I was looking around online and found some really good deals going on. I think that if I wait and buy some at an outfitter, I will end up paying $100 to $150 more than I would right now. I do not want to buy anything I don't need for the trip, but I want to save money in the long run.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer
    I really did not think about getting snowshoes before talking to a couple people lately. The people I talked to did not have any experience on the AT or in the South in winter, so I thought I would pose the question.

Will I need snowshoes come December or January? I was looking around online and found some really good deals going on. I think that if I wait and buy some at an outfitter, I will end up paying $100 to $150 more than I would right now. I do not want to buy anything I don't need for the trip, but I want to save money in the long run.
    You do not need them in the South along the AT.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Journal Entries
    Images

we have horrendous snow storms down here with at least twenty feet of snow on the ground at any given moment, you don't only need one set of snowshoes but two in order to really glide on the surface.........

Images

2 foot drifts at most in georgia. boots/shoes and tall gaiters are all you need
    don't like logging? try wiping with a pine cone.

snow is generally not the problem........ICE is !!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by springerfever
    snow is generally not the problem........ICE is !!
    Right, you may be better off in investing in crampons.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Thanks for the replys. I'll look into crampons. I still have time left before I leave (unfortunatly) so I'm not in a big hurry.

I have been on the at in NC during January and wished i had snow shoes. Going through the balds once past Grassy Ridge headed towards the Stan murray shelter and the humps the snow was 3 feet deep with drifts over 4. We didn't make it very far before setting up camp. Two people trying to break through didn't work too well. But it sure was beautiful!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by chicote
    I have been on the at in NC during January and wished i had snow shoes. Going through the balds once past Grassy Ridge headed towards the Stan murray shelter and the humps the snow was 3 feet deep with drifts over 4. We didn't make it very far before setting up camp. Two people trying to break through didn't work too well. But it sure was beautiful!!
    i hiked through there in a snow storm, i know what your talking about...............

I did a blizzard in the Smokeys back in 2001. I wished I had snowshoes, but was able to post hole 8 miles per day to get out. I had brought in-step crampons expecting ice.

You just have to plan the best you can, and adjust to what Mama Nature dishes out. Zero days can be very beautiful, watching snow and trees falling around a shelter.

For the weight, in step crampons probably make more sense than anything else. Snow shoes aren't that likely to be of any benefit down here.

Images

Wink

I hiked GA last December during the big ice storm. I had Yak Trax, and was very glad. Ankle-deep, golf ball-sized ice on the trail was a major trip!

Nope. Dont need em.

++ New Posts ++