WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Leaving my husband behind

I'm spinning this off from the non-outdoorsy spouse thread in the general section. I'm newly married. My husband has always known about my need to do the trail, and it excited for me now that we've decidd that I should do it next year. However, we've only been together for a year, married a couple of months, and I'll spend both our birthdays and our first wedding anniversary on the trail next year.

What can I do to make the seperation easier for him? I'd especially like male perspectives on this. We're a very close couple, spending every free minute together usually, so the time apart will be hard on both of us - but I'll be kept busy hiking. How can we hold on to our close connection while I'm so far away for so long? What would you like your spouse to do for you if they left you to go hiking for six months? What would you do for your spouse? And before the "take him with you" idea comes up, I'll tell you it's just not a possibility.

Thanks much!

Images

August 21 I will have been married 30 years. Granted the roles are reversed, but when I hit the trail, this is what helps me: Call when able, damn the cost talk as long as you can.
    I write letters to my wife everyday. He could write to you the same way.
    The above mentioned phone calls.
    She sends me notes in my drop boxes. Warning: this may make it worse for you, but then my wife is "evil" YMMV.
    Give him a map of the AT, mounted on a corkboard, and a bunch of stick pins to track where you are. Maybe add flags for dates & stuff. My wife enjoys tracking me.
    Have him become a member here @ WhiteBlaze.
    May sound harsh, have him get a part time job, something to keep his mind off you being gone. My wife does that, keeps her occupied, but then she has a semi permanent job she can go to or not whenever she wants.
    On aniversary, birthday, no reason whatsoever, if he can get away from all those parttime jobs you got him, take a zero day & spend some time with him, the trail will still be there. As your hike progresses tho, don't have him hike with you, you will likely be frustrated by his slow pace, he will likely be demoralized by your brisk pace. Remember, us males have very fragile egos

For you, all of the above AND: Stay; fed, hydrated & rested, well, as much as you can on a AT thru hike that is. I find I get more homesick as I get tired, hungry & dehydrated.

Doctari
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Do-it-yourself pepsi can stoves - $20 each. Amigi'sLastStand's Avatar
    Images

Good luck. I hope it all works out.
    You are in heaven.

Well, if you guys have really talked this through and are in agreement, go fot it!

Like Doctari said, he can always meet up with you as many times as you both want and take a zero (or two ).

I say go! I'm 42 and have dreamed of doing it since I was in my late teens. I will attempt one day, but looks like I may be in my 50's by then.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaM
    What can I do to make the seperation easier for him? I'd especially like male perspectives on this.
    Thanks much!
    Truth? You've been married two months?

Stay home with your new lifetime partner a little while longer. No offense intended, truly.

And don't ask or take marriage advice from an internet forum.
    Last edited by Skidsteer; 07-13-2006 at 21:07.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

I set up a map on a corkboard with pins, sent lots of emails and phone calls and kept an online journal.

Oh jeez, the "two months" slipped by my old eyes!

I have to agree with Skidsteer, y'all need some more time to get "used to each other.

But what do I know? I'm in marriage #2

Although I don't usually suggest them, do mail drops. Get him involved, buying, mailing taking care of your gear needs. Keep an online journal with him as the transcriber. Carry a couple memory cards, send them home and have him upload your pics.

Also, since it appears there's no need, do NOT carrying a cellphone with you or him expecting to hear from one another every night and just wait every few days to talk to one another from town.
    Last edited by Sly; 07-13-2006 at 21:14.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer
    Truth? You've been married two months?

Stay home with your new lifetime partner a little while longer. No offense intended, truly.

And don't take marriage advice from an internet forum.
    No can do. I know you mean well with the advice, but this is quite likely my only chance to thru hike, and I'm taking it. We're in complete agreement that I should go. I will be planning to see him at least once a month, and probably take a few days to a week off when I get to NJ so I can come home and spend time with him. I'm sure we'll arrange a visit on each of the three special days, too.

Thanks to all the great suggestions. Doctari, you had some really good ones. I hadn't been planning to bring along stationary, but maybe writing to him every night would be a good idea. That way I can bundle the letters up each week, send them home, and he'll know exactly what I've been up to (since I'll forget a lot of it by the time I get him on the phone). That would be a great record of my trip, too - love letters from the trail! I also like the idea of the map and pins. He might be too lazy to keep up with it, though.

Images

We met 'Bama' in Harpers Ferry who is through hiking this year. She said the one thing her husband asked for was a phone call a day whenever possible. On top of that her husband updates her trail journal for her (it is the most up-to-date journal I have ever seen!) As her hiking buddy 'Little Wing' told us, "Bama's husband is basically out here on the trail with us." Sound like a real good balance.

Two months now, it'll be 10 months next spring and well past the Honeymoon!

Images

definately have him meet you somewhere for your anniversary. That's a MUST. After all that separation, it'll be an anniversary to remember!!
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Section Hiking to Maine. little bear's Avatar
    Images

what are his feelings on you being gone? would he be willing to join you for a short section hike? My problem is my wife likes the outdoors but not long hikes. I hope everything works out for you.

Happy Hikes
    Little Bear
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by DGrav
    We met 'Bama' in Harpers Ferry who is through hiking this year. She said the one thing her husband asked for was a phone call a day whenever possible.
    Well if it were me there'd be no way I'd take or suggest a cellphone. For one it's impossible to get a connection every night. In the meantime, the hiker is likely going to waste too much time trying to keep the promise, checking for signals and missing what's immediately happening in their surroundings and the reason we hike in the 1st pace.

IMO, if either party needs daily reinforcement from their spouse, they have a problem.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly
    Well if it were me there'd be no way I'd take or suggest a cellphone. For one it's impossible to get a connection every night. In the meantime, the hiker is likely going to waste too much time trying to keep the promise, checking for signals and missing what's immediately happening in their surroundings and the reason we hike in the 1st pace.

IMO, if either party needs daily reinforcement from their spouse, they have a problem.
    There's no way in h*ll I'd phone my spouse/partner daily. Possibly once weekly while I'm hiking. And I have.

However, there are some people on this list I'd LIKE to phone once daily
    ....just kiddin.....
    Marsha

Images

I'm leaving out next March and have been thiking of way's to get my wife involved in the hike, and will probably do the map thing like others have recommended so she can keep track of my progress. Get her to send a few mail drops. Maybe do a journal and get her to transcribe it for me and upload the pictures. She'll visit a few times in trail towns and I'll take an evtra zero day but no hiking with me because it just wouldn't work. Call to check in every few days.

But we've been married a long time and I'm gone from home 5 days a week and sometimes up to 3 weeks at a time so she's kind of use to it. That makes a big difference.

Images

Default It is now or wait 20 years....

I am planning on heading out in 2007. Unless I start early and go fast I will definitely be on the trail for our 25th anniversary. I grew up along side the AT in Connecticut and dreamed of hiking it for years. I have section hiked the northern third over the years. I would love to do it with my wife but she tells me she walks way too slow and would hate it by the third day. On the other hand she is very supportive of me. It took awhile to explain why I would thru-hike and “re-do everything I have already done.”

We have two kids in college, two tuitions, we will have just relocated, we will need to start, or restart our business, and we may have zero income when I am gone. But we are working these things out.

I should have done it when I was younger but life got in the way. Maybe fife is what happens when you are waiting to thru-hike?

If you do not do it now you may resent it for years. If you start a family you can table the idea for 20 years.

Go for it. If you have a good marriage it will get stronger. Just make sure your husband understands your hopes, your dreams, and most of all your fears. Plan together. Ship him some drop boxes along the way.
    The heaviest thing I carried was my attitude.
    Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free

Desire is the main ingredient for success

Well I am about to have completed my 6 month seperation from my man due to his A.T. thru hike. I couldn't distroy his dream of hiking the AT so I let him go. Let me tell you it has been an adventure for both of us. You will have your good days and you will have days where both of you are crying on the phone. It just comes with the territory. What helped me, being the one at home is that we agreed that this journey was a journey that we were on together (not just him). We both may have completely different roles but both are very important for the sucess of the trip and our relationship. You and your husband will need tons of patience and perseverence. My best advise for him is to stay busy and save money so that he can see you whenever possible. Those little 1 or 2 day visits can really keep both of you going.
    As far as you going so early in marriage that decision is up to you two. From woman to woman, I would make sure that he hasn't "just agreed" to all this and under his breath is saying gosh I really hope she doesn't go. You don't want recentment to build up. Just make sure that both of you are aware and ready for the sacrafices that will have to made. Also make sure your marriage is strong enough to remain healthy throughout your AT hike. I'm sure you will be fine. This isn't the first time a spous has left to achieve a dream of hiking the A.T.
    P.S like the others CALL HIM whenever possible, whither you can only talk for 2 minutes. It will be worth just hearing your voice to him. I would carry a cell phone. No you won't be able to call him every day (and shouldn't, it will take away from your experience) but I think you might find it nice to have the ability to call him if you have reception from the trail (especially if you haven't been able to get him in a few days)

Quote Originally Posted by Lil'Joe
    ..... have dreamed of doing it since I was in my late teens. I will attempt one day, but looks like I may be in my 50's by then.
    That's where I am now. I'll be 55 when I start. I'll be retired, have my kids (finally) out of college and time on my hands. It's not the mental aspect of hiking that is a concern but all those little aches in one's youth become real concerns as you age.
    The first year of marriage would be a difficult time to schedule a thru-hike but if you don't go now you may never get the chance again.

Good luck to you.
    Tom

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Boston
    "conjugal visits"

Maybe you could take a few days off in a b&b or two, he could hike the trail in NJ with you, or you could take a break in NJ, etc.
    There ya go! Excellent ideas. I forget what it's like being in love like that.

Forgive me for my inconsiderate previous posting.

Have fun in whatever you do.

Make sure you work hard at keeping the magic.

Marsha
    Last edited by StarLyte; 07-14-2006 at 18:03.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++