WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Water retrieval

Images

Default Water retrieval

This is for those of you using bladders. How do you gather creek water?

I have two types of bladders. One is a small-mouth Outdoor Products 2L bag, the other is a Platypus zipper-mouth 3L bag. Even with the wide zipper top on the Platypus, I can't seem to find a good way to fill the bag. I've ended up getting an 1.5L aluminium bottle, pretty much a large-size fuel container. The rigid bottle lets me submerge and fully fill, then I pour the water into my bladder. I can't help thinking there's a better solution.

A friend looked at me like an idiot when I mentioned this, until she realized I don't use a filter pump. I've been using Iodine (Potable Aqua) since I started backpacking, and I really don't want to change to a filter.

Any ideas?
    Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting. - J. J. Thompson

Do-it-yourself pepsi can stoves - $20 each. Amigi'sLastStand's Avatar
    Images

Change to a filter.

1) check my thread on aqua mira ( search aqua mira ) and the dangers of long term chlorite injestion. Iodine long term in the quanities needed to purify is no better that CLO2.

2) easy filling of bladders.

3) better for your health.

4) no nasty iodine taste.

5) cheaper in the long run.

6) weight should not be a factor where your health is concerned.

Chuck

PS -- any issues with the zipper bags? That is my only platy that ever leaked on me.
    You are in heaven.

Images

No, no issues with the zipper on the Platy. I've had it under quite a bit of compression, too. I did have one leak, but it leaked at the drinking tube threads.

As far as filters, I just don't see a compelling reason (compelling for ME) to do it. I've never gotten sick on the trail. I've never had to drink from a questionable water source. I don't use Iodine for the weight, I use it for the convenience. I've watched tons of hikers spend HUGE amounts of time and energy filter-pumping water and I don't want to do it. I just fill, pill, and wait. Much easier, saves a lot of time. I've tried using a couple of filters, too...I was worn out by the pump by the time I had 2L, especially after having been on the trail all day. So. I need a different solution.
    Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting. - J. J. Thompson

Do-it-yourself pepsi can stoves - $20 each. Amigi'sLastStand's Avatar
    Images

Try a Sweetwater. I fill 3L in two minutes. No waiting, nice and cold.

Look up long term iodine overdosage. Notice the part about loss of salivation and sweating. But, to each his own.

Good luck
    You are in heaven.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Amigi'sLastStand
    Try a Sweetwater. I fill 3L in two minutes. No waiting, nice and cold.

Look up long term iodine overdosage. Notice the part about loss of salivation and sweating. But, to each his own.

Good luck
    I've been using a Sweetwater for 5 years now. I even purchased a 2nd used one, and replacement parts should I need them. It's the easiest set up too. If you have any questions about it just post them here.

Gosh I was going to put a link here for Sweetwater, but when I brought it up the prices ran from $49 to $80, and I'm not pushing any vendor so you'll have to google it yourself.

Images

I use Aqua Mira. (I know, I saw your thread, Amigi'sLastStand. I don't use it long term because I'm a section hiker. It works for me).

As far as filling my platty's,,, when I have to scoop, I usually use my 8oz measuring cup. Small & light enough to pack, yet get's the job done quick, even in low running streams/creeks

Use your pot.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator
    Use your pot.
    Careful with this one. If you up with bad water and do not clean all of it, you could contaminate your food while cooking. Same concept as filling water bottles.

But to each your own.

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer
    Careful with this one. If you up with bad water and do not clean all of it, you could contaminate your food while cooking. Same concept as filling water bottles.

But to each your own.
    Here's how things would go if I needed to use my pot. I'd fill up the bladder using the pot. Treat the water in the bladder with Polar Pur. Cook in the pot at some point, but I don't eat cold things out of my pot. Any food that doesn't get boiled but needs water, gets treated water. I don't see a problem with this, but if you would care to elaborate, feel free.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

I may be wrong on this one, but if you do not bring your water to a boil for a certain amount of time, all of the nasties are not killed. Sometimes when you cook the water does not even reach a boil. These are not the nasties in the water, but ones that came into contact with your pot as you where gathering water earlier.

There is only a small chance of getting anything, but still one. Although there are a lot of people that will argue you don't need to treat water. To wach their own.

the hiker formaly known as Wonderfoot
    Images

Zip lock bag works in a pinch

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...
    Strong and content I travel the open road
    ~Walt Whitman Song of the open road

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator
    Use your pot.

But to each your own.

Reason I bring my measuring cup.

I may be wrong on this one, but if you do not bring your water to a boil for a certain amount of time, all of the nasties are not killed. Sometimes when you cook the water does not even reach a boil. These are not the nasties in the water, but ones that came into contact with your pot as you where gathering water earlier.

There is only a small chance of getting anything, but still one. Although there are a lot of people that will argue you don't need to treat water. To wach their own.
    Gotcha. I let it boil when using untreated water.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

El Sordo
    Images

i think that by the time your water comes to a boil the bugs are dead. i'll have to google this one but i remember seeing a paper or report somewhere that indicated that temps over 180F killed everything. i don't think there was a minimum time.

fwiw, i filter my drinking water and just scoop up what i need for cooking on the theory that the boiling will purify it. i've never gotten sick, but then i've never knowingly drunk from a contaminated source.

El Sordo
    Images

from 'The Backpackers Field Manual'

Boiling is the most certain way of killing all microorganisms. According to the Wilderness Medical Society, water temperatures above 160° F (70° C) kill all pathogens within 30 minutes and above 185° F (85° C) within a few minutes. So in the time it takes for the water to reach the boiling point (212° F or 100° C) from 160° F (70° C), all pathogens will be killed, even at high altitude. To be extra safe, let the water boil rapidly for one minute, especially at higher altitudes since water boils at a lower temperature (see page 68.)

dunno what kind of research they did here, but this seems about right.

Hiker Rescued After Getting Dehydrated On Appalachian Trail

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=38509

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

[quote=blackbishop351]This is for those of you using bladders. How do you gather creek water?
    ==============================
    I carry a 20oz gatorade bottle and it works well as a scoop in shallow water streams.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

++ New Posts ++