WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hottest Day of Summer - help em out!

They've been saying on the news all morning that this will certainly be one of the hottest days of the summer. It's very warm and very muggy. If you live by the trail today might be a good day to do some trail magic, drop off some water or gatorade or something.

I did my duty at the Palisades Parkway crossing today.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Man ...you can say that again. We did that last week up at the trail crossing in Gorham and at the notches in the Whites. Brought some smiles to several hikers faces.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger
    Man ...you can say that again. We did that last week up at the trail crossing in Gorham and at the notches in the Whites. Brought some smiles to several hikers faces.

'Slogger
    nice, I got to play the human version of 'frogger' today on the Palisades Parkway. 830 a.m. on a workday, w/ traffic heading in to NYC. An interesting experience, one that I'm not looking forward to repeating. Next time I'll have to go out earlier.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Arrow

Who was there for Avery & company?

Let'm sweat it out.
    Be Prepared

Images

Default hottest day of the summer

wish I could help out!in 99 we were in a drought and lo!let me tell ya!any kind of liquid was nice,god bless you folks who are doing the trail magic!ky

Images

Default Why the black clouds: to block the sun?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud
    Let'm sweat it out.
    Why all the people who were helping him flag, cut and measure the A.T.! They even had cheerleaders with pom-poms. Well, not really, but it sure must have been some fun.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/{D25B4747-42A3-4302-8D48-EF35C0B0D9F1}/TrailYears.pdf
    Last edited by emerald; 07-17-2006 at 18:32. Reason: Needed a sun above the black clouds

Let'm sweat it out.
    Probably no one. You're right he didn't get help from a single person the entire way. He never got lost, hungry, or tired.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake
    Probably no one. You're right he didn't get help from a single person the entire way. He never got lost, hungry, or tired.
    "If it does not kill me it will make me stronger"
    Be Prepared

Images

Default Cyberhiker or A.T. hiker?

"If it does not kill me it will make me stronger"
    You need to come up here and do a 30 anywhere of your choosing on Pennsylvania's overrated rocks while it's still good and hot, then tell us, if you can, if what you say is so. BTW, watch those sneeky, little rocks at the end of the day, they'll send you nose first into the treadway!
    Last edited by emerald; 07-17-2006 at 18:30.

If you're trying to do a "30" in Pa. in 100deg. weather then you're an idiot. You deserve dehydration.

the hiker formaly known as Wonderfoot
    Images

I'm trying to get up to the trail in PA to help out this week. Hikers have been on my mind all day!!!! I can only imagine how hard it has been in this heat.........spread out water sources and all.... I hope that everyone is being smart and safe!

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...
    Strong and content I travel the open road
    ~Walt Whitman Song of the open road

They don't need help. They need to learn how to do lower and slower mileage and to carry ****loads of water. A no-brainer during hot weather.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    If you're trying to do a "30" in Pa. in 100deg. weather then you're an idiot. You deserve dehydration.
    30 laps in a pool? That sounds better.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

They don't need help. They need to learn how to do lower and slower mileage and to carry ****loads of water. A no-brainer during hot weather.
    Good point. I think that people that hang around road crossings waiting to give a ride to someone or people that go out of their way to put water by the road really need to get a life. Flippin' weird.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch
    Good point. I think that people that hang around road crossings waiting to give a ride to someone or people that go out of their way to put water by the road really need to get a life. Flippin' weird.
    This whole "angel" and "magic" thing is flippin' weird. WAY too much coddling and ass-kissing of these poor thru-hikers nowadays. I'm blessed to have done my first few thru-hikes "back in the day" when angels and magic existed very rarely.

Aussie thru-hiking NOBO in 07 Smacky70's Avatar

This whole "angel" and "magic" thing is flippin' weird. WAY too much coddling and ass-kissing of these poor thru-hikers nowadays. I'm blessed to have done my first few thru-hikes "back in the day" when angels and magic existed very rarely.
    Wow, you are so hardcore Wolf, infact you are *that* good that I want to have your babies.

Whatever, kid.

Images

you can still do a sobo hike to have a similar experience. i heard nobo's talking a/b all kinds of trail magic...i thought they were bull*****ting for the longest time.

I'm amazed no one answered the original question. You simply night hike. If you don't like doing that, at least get up in the dark with as much time as is needed to allow eating and packing. As soon as you can see to hike, you go fast until it gets too hot, usually 5 hours (5 till 10). Sleep until it cools and then hike again until you cannot see, another 3 hours. An additional advantage is eating in the dark makes trail food much better.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake

I did my duty at the Palisades Parkway crossing today.
    I'm sure the hikers appreciated it, Blake!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++