WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Where can't you hitchhike?

So I was reading in other threads that sometimes hikers get stopped by the authorities when attempting to hitch a ride. So, where is it illegal? And do they just stop and tell you not to do it or do they fine you or what? Or is it "illegal" in some states, and they just see your pack and look the other way?

Images

i think it's illegal in NY, but even if it's not, it might as well be b/c you'll never get a ride there.

Images

i remember i looked it up in NC laws once and i may be the same for other states but in NC its leagal to hitchhike anywhere except on an interstate highway

Images

Yeah I wasn't sure if there was a resource that would list all the states and in which areas it's ok do hitch. Would be tedious to have to read the laws of every state on the trail looking for where you can.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

I can't remember off hand which roads, but the Companion lists where it is illiegal to hitch. I think it is only a few interstate highways.

Images

Awesome, thanks!

Do-it-yourself pepsi can stoves - $20 each. Amigi'sLastStand's Avatar
    Images

It is illegal to hitch in NJ and NY. But like Goat said, you aint catching a ride anyway, so who cares.
    You are in heaven.

Illegal on the interstates in Virginia.

It's illegal anywhere in Wyoming, but we did! Some others got busted!

Quote Originally Posted by Amigi'sLastStand
    It is illegal to hitch in NJ and NY. But like Goat said, you aint catching a ride anyway, so who cares.
    I always had a very easy time getting a hitch in NY and NJ back in '98. Some of the easiest, in fact. That's just my experience though... maybe I was just lucky... or too good looking to pass by
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

''absolutely No Problem'' In Nj Ny
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

Besides in NJ/NY you never have to go far for services and should be willing to walk
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

Do-it-yourself pepsi can stoves - $20 each. Amigi'sLastStand's Avatar
    Images

Besides in NJ/NY you never have to go far for services and should be willing to walk
    Agree.

... or too good looking to pass by
    Yeah, that was it. :rollseyes.
    When I fractured my foot in NJ, I walked 2.5 miles to a road crossing then three miles down hill past more than forty cars over three hours with my shoe off carry a sign ( written on my buttpad ) that said "Injured Hiker, please stop or call police". Finally, someone ( a fellow hiker ) stopped and helped me. No cops came by, so I guess no one called. I didnt count how many times the park maintainers passed me, but it was a lot and even those f---ers didnt stop to help. Just my experience, but I hate the north anyway, so I guess it hates me back. Back to the South in less than thirty and I can hardly wait.
    You are in heaven.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Amigi'sLastStand
    I didnt count how many times the park maintainers passed me, but it was a lot and even those f---ers didnt stop to help.
    it is against policy and the ethics code for state workers to use a state vehicle for anything other than state business. i could get fired for picking you up in a state vehicle. it's the same for federal govt employees as well. it doesn't mean that i don't want to, but my house payment is more important to me. what they should have done, is pull over and offer to call you an ambulance, if that's what you would have wanted.
    don't like logging? try wiping with a pine cone.

It is harder to get rides from PA to NH (for some reason Maine is like the south). Our culture up here is that anyone without a car used to be a Commie, now they are Terrorist Bombers, and in the future we will be afraid of Robots. We just love being afraid and if there is nothing to be afraid about we will make something up. I just heard there is a new disease you can catch from dirty cell phones.

As far as i know, WY and Iowa are the only states where hitching is illegal.

Here's some info on NY hitching:
    It is technically legal to hitchhike from the shoulder of a road or an on-ramp if no sign is posted prohibiting pedestrians. When it comes to the Thruway- which includes the major highways of I-87, I-90 and I-95- it is not only illegal to hitchhike the shoulder, but also near the entrance to these highways. A hitchhiker must stand outside of the Thruway property.

Of course there's different ways to interpret laws and it often will depend on the cop. In WY, we had a sign rather than our thumb, but the cop said no! "You are still soliciting a ride and that is against the law here." We eventually had to go to a bar (the only place open within 40 miles or so) and pay someone who'd been drinking for a while, to take us 35 miles up the road to the trailhead!

That being said, i've hitchiked across Europe 3 times, Austrailia (west to east) once and 95% of my rides have been fun, educational, and got me closer to my destination. (The other 5% were either no fun, the car broke down, we got lost, or took me the wrong way)
    One good piece of advice i learned a long time ago: "Always be prepared to turn down a ride"
    Also: here's some graffiti i saw in London: Hitching is like being a pubic hair on a toilet seat: "Sooner or later you get pissed off!"

++ New Posts ++