WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Dip coating pot handles

Hey all,

I've switched to a Snow Peak pot and my blistered fingers miss my old MSR silicone-coated handles. I know I've read that you can get a can of something to dip tool handles in to coat them with rubber or silicone, but I'm coming up empty trying to find it.

Anyone know what this is called and if I can pick it up at my local Home Depot? Also, are there different ones for different temperatures or anything? I want to say that I once read that real silicone is best, but don't really know.

While I appreciate that duct tape or silicone caulking will probably work just as well, all things being equal, I'd rather use the dip for a more finished look.

Thanks very much.

Images

i've seen it in the hand tools aisle of my local Ace hardware store. not sure if home depot carries it, but they should. it comes in small cans, about the same size as a soda can, but maybe a little narrower. the lid indicates the color. let us know how it works... i've got a similar problem with my pot's folding handles.

Images

Seeker, about time. I posted this question like three minutes ago. I was about to give up.

I guess I'll force myself to swing by Home Depot tonight.

I didn't know there were color options. I normally go stealthy, but this may be my big chance to break out and try something exciting.

If they have it, I'll do it tonight and report back. It's been far too long since my kitchen was a camping laboratory. I might have to surround myself with cat-food cans to get the old feeling back. I'll give it a test run on some coat hangers or something and see what it takes to melt it off.

Thanks again.

follow the directions, especially about prepping the area. has to be clean. but it should work well. another option: that heat shrink stuff they use on wires

Images

That's a good thought, too. Can you build up multiple layers of that as well?

As far as prepping, I'm guessing roughing up the material will help a lot, then cleaning with rubbing alcohol?

I've been looking into using that heat-shrink stuff to finish off cut ends of cord, so maybe I'll pick some up either way and can do some side-by-side handle coating comparison.

My fingers will probably look like Kevin Spacey's in Seven by this time tomorrow.

I've used this stuff in the past on tool handles but not on pot handles.
    It works OK, but is not as "slick" or as pretty as the factory silicone handles.
    In fact, it will feel a bit "gritty" but it does work. The grittyness gives extra handle friction when for example you're working under a car and it gets oil soaked.
    The color is sort of a bright yellow, sorry I can't remember the name right now but ask for it in a well-stocked hardware store. It comes in a can about the size of a Coke can if I remember correctly.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
    Hey all,

I've switched to a Snow Peak pot and my blistered fingers miss my old MSR silicone-coated handles. I know I've read that you can get a can of something to dip tool handles in to coat them with rubber or silicone, but I'm coming up empty trying to find it.

Anyone know what this is called and if I can pick it up at my local Home Depot? Also, are there different ones for different temperatures or anything? I want to say that I once read that real silicone is best, but don't really know.

While I appreciate that duct tape or silicone caulking will probably work just as well, all things being equal, I'd rather use the dip for a more finished look.

Thanks very much.
    I have a snowpeak 1400mL pot and only rarely do the pot handles get hot enough to merit a coating. Maybe you have the handles too close to the flame. When it does happen though, I just use a bandana that I always keep handy.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

Thank you everyone.

It's not something that happens every time, but I don't want to be worrying about precise pot placement or having to use something else to pick it up. With my MSR pot I had for years, I never once burned myself or thought about it.

Images

Here's the stuff you're looking for Patrick. The test is a good idea. It's got toulene in it and might melt at high temps and be useless or worse.

http://www.mclendons.com/catalog.asp...andle+Coatings

Here's a different brand I haven't used.

http://www.loink.com/ShowView/product/849/21
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Try looking for an air drying Plastisol. Like mentioned earlier, it's used for dipping tool handles in. I used to use it as an electrician to insulate screwdrivers and pliers and the like. You may be able to find it at Home Depot ot Lowes, but I'd look for some place that caters to commercial electricians. Make sure you get the air dry type, regular Plastisol is heat cured in an oven.
    kncats

Default this is what is at my ace hardware

It has been quite a few years since I used it, but if I remember correctly, the heat-set Plastisol has some applications that the air dry doesn't, like heat resistance. It might be a better choice for using on the pot because of this.

(from a Plastisol mfg. website) Plastisol is a liquid (free-flowing or highly viscous) vinyl dispersion that is fused by heat to form a solid end product. A plastisol formation can be altered to produce a variety of different physical properties. The plastisol can be hard as glass or soft as a plastic fishing rig, clear or any color including fluorescent, the finish can be glossy to matte, or flat to grainy surface. As you can see a plastisol can be formulated, by our expert personnel, to produce a variety of different end products. (http://www.lakesideplastics.net/plastisol.htm)

Here's another company's site: http://www.vynaflex.com/

I dug around and found out that the "dip" type (at least the type I tried) is only usable to 210 degrees F: http://www.plasticoating.com/Plastisol%20Coating.htm

Heat cured temp ranges: http://www.qcminds.com/plast.dipcoating.htm

No, I didn't find a decent source for the heat cured type; I ordered it via the company I was working for at the time.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnny quest
    follow the directions, especially about prepping the area. has to be clean. but it should work well. another option: that heat shrink stuff they use on wires
    Careful what type of heat shrink you get. The types I used on wires would melt if you were not careful shrinking them with a heat gun. The heat gun gets really hot, but probibly not as hot as the handle of your pot could get. Heat shrink is usually meant more to stop any conductivity between the wire and an outside object, than insulating from heat.

Images

I definitely wouldn't use heat shrink on a pot. I've had it melt off wires with just a little too much heat before. Doesn't take a lot.
    Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting. - J. J. Thompson

Images

[quote=Patrick]I didn't know there were color options. I normally go stealthy, but this may be my big chance to break out and try something exciting. [quote]

iirc, there was yellow, blue, green, and red. you could go crazy and do some sort of tie-dye swirly pattern by mixing two kinds together.

Images

Okay, I got the cheap stuff (liquid electric tape) in red (sassy). I put one layer on before basketball tonight and just got home. It's not as sexy as I'd hoped. Bit lumpy. I'll put a couple more coats on and take some pictures.

It's only rated to 250. It was all they had and I have poor impulse control. If it craps out, I'll find the patience to order the good stuff.

The handle is much too big to dip and I didn't want to bother with another container, so I just brushed on. A bit rough looking so far. Hopefully I won't end up having to scrape it all off. God knows I need to be pretty.

Images

I bet you could spray that stuff on a thermarest matress to keep from slipping off. I know the new ones already have a nonslip surface, but my old one is pretty slick.

Panzer

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1
    I bet you could spray that stuff on a thermarest matress to keep from slipping off. I know the new ones already have a nonslip surface, but my old one is pretty slick.

Panzer
    ==========================

Hmmm ...this post got me thinking that you might be able to dip your handle in a dilute mixture of silicon (like Silnet). Not sure what the heat tolerance properties would be but once it was dry it would definitely provide a good grip surface.

Reason this got me thinking was that I took some silicon and painted strips on my old 3/4 thermarest and now it doesn't slip/slide on the floor of my tent.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

I was pretty unhappy with the brush on method, so I made a dip tray out of aluminum foil that would fit the whole handle without needing a ton of the stuff.

It worked out much better. Two coats of that gave a good thick finish. You have to turn it a bit after dipping to keep it from dripping into lumps, but it's very slow running, so it's easy to do.

Also, it takes a while to set with this method. When it's halfway there, you can shape it a bit in case of runs or anything. Pressing leaves a fingerprint, but I found if you lightly rub that, it will come right out. Unlike the tool-specific stuff mentioned above, it leaves a shiny finish.

So, I'm as happy as I can be at this point. It looks nice, has a good grip, feels solid, and prevents rattling. I'll report back after doing some cooking with it.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

[quote=Patrick]Also, it takes a while to set with this method. When it's halfway there, you can shape it a bit in case of runs or anything. Pressing leaves a fingerprint, but I found if you lightly rub that, it will come right out. Unlike the tool-specific stuff mentioned above, it leaves a shiny finish.
    ==================================
    Wonder if you could use a hair dryer to speed up the setting/drying process ??

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++