WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Upper Goose Pond Cabin

The open season for the Upper Goose Pond cabin this year will be May 17 to October 26. It may be open only weekends in the early and late season.

Images

This cabin features bunks for about 14, some with matresses, some without. Swimming and canoeing available in the pond. Spring water is generally brought across the pond by canoe. Kitchen stove available. Pancakes provided every morning by the caretaker (they were blueberry pancakes last Friday).

Images

In my openion Upper Goose Pond is one of the best shelters on the AT, just one small drawback, (the Mass. turnpike).
    Rigormortis

Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up Upper Goose Pond

During my 2001 thru I stopped at UGP as a SOBO in late Sept. The cabin was only open on weekends at that time of the year and I stopped on a Wed. I vowed to return and just spend a night in the beautifull cabin. (I only live 90 mi. away.) The following year I was able to do more than visit. I became a volunteer caretaker at the cabin. I am so thankfull.
    I tell all I meet, It's the best deal on the trail. A bunk, a warm fire, if required, a place to swim and a great pancake breakfast for only $3.
    For those who have never been to UGP, stop by for a visit.
    Grampie-N->2001

Section Hiker, 625 miles & counting mooseboy's Avatar
    Images

Thumbs up Kept me from quitting early!

Upper Goose Pond Cabin was probably my favorite place to stay on my recent section-hike of Massachusetts. I stayed on 7-20-05, along with a couple other sectioners and thrus.

Up to that day, for the first 2 days, I had felt ill, tired and a bit nauseous. The night before I had camped in a thunderstorm at Shaker Campsite. I was about to consider dropping out early after only 3 days... then I got to Upper Goose Pond and everything changed.

The caretakers were warm & friendly. I was offered a beer (trail magic!) and all the hikers were given chili for dinner (more unexpected magic!) because the caretaker's family were in for the night. Bunkroom was cozy without being crowded, plus we were out of the mosquitoes in mid-summer.

Breakfast was blueberry pancakes and coffee, which IS a standard amenity. The water, brought from a spring across the pond, was clear and clean, much better than the dirty brook water I'd been filtering for the last couple days.

This should be a priority stop on any long-distance hiker's journey.

Images

i stayed at upper goose pond cabin in june 2004,it was awesome neo

Upper goose Pond Cabin opened on May 19th 2007 this year until October. It will be open during Sept. and Oct. on week ends. and we have added mattress for all the bunks. No donation is required for your stay, but we will accept any donation you want to make toward the cabin expense.
    we still are offering pancakes and coffee in the morning. Be advised that dogs are allowed at the discretion of the care taker and you might be asked to tent with your dog. the canoe is still available for hikers if you sign a waver of liability.

Images

we will be there in sept-oct will it be open
    wolf

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DebW View Post
    The open season for the Upper Goose Pond cabin this year will be May 17 to October 26. It may be open only weekends in the early and late season.
    I remember that cabin from many years ago. I had a section hike planned with a partner and she bailed out minutes before I was ready to hit the road! I used the cabin as a 2-night layover point and shuttled back and forth with the car and my 12-speed bike and saved the hike. The canoe was great fun, the cabin was wonderful (as was the caretaker), and the water was COLD! Nice to know that it's still there.

Images

What time does the cabin have the most hiker traffic? I assume around July 15th.

Images

I stayed there 2 nites ago, the last nite of my section hike. It was perfect. Peggy(this weeks caretaker) was a great host. The coffee and pancakes were awesome. The swimming was transcendental. I swam all the way out to the island and back. The canoe was fun also. Peter (thru from new zealand) and I got the water in the a.m. That's the kind of place Upper Goose Pond Cabin is: so nice the most mundane camp chores are a blast! U.G.P. Cabin is quite probably the only place on the AT (so far) that I will visit again. I don't know what time is the busiest Jeff, but there were 23 people staying at the cabin on thurs. 8/2 (according to Peggy) and about 12 people the next night, when I was there.

vegematic

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    What time does the cabin have the most hiker traffic? I assume around July 15th.
    Last two weeks of July + first two weeks of August tends to be the busiest. By busy I mean 100+ overnight guests per week.
    -vegematic

i plan on being at UGP at the end of september next year. it will be the wrap-up of a southbound thru-hike of the long trail. will the september weekends-only policy be in effect next year, also?

additionally, can you set up on the tent pads if you happen by when the caretakers not there?

Journal Entries
    Images

Default UGP Cabin

The cabin will probably be closed, during the week, at the end of September.
    You can still sleep on the porch or use a tent platform.
    Grampie-N->2001

If you are thur-hike or week-ender do I need to make reservations.

Quote Originally Posted by Audrey View Post
    If you are thur-hike or week-ender do I need to make reservations.
    no. Not on a reservation system, like most of the shelters along the trail.

tented at this site the sept 13th. I really do love it! the cabin was full of SOBOs and the lake was warm enough for swiming.

the caretaker was present and will be thru the weekend of sept. 20th! got to have pancakes on sunday morning and they were much apreciated!
    ~Christy

I'm worth a million in prizes astrogirl's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wystiria View Post
    tented at this site the sept 13th. I really do love it! the cabin was full of SOBOs and the lake was warm enough for swiming.

the caretaker was present and will be thru the weekend of sept. 20th! got to have pancakes on sunday morning and they were much apreciated!
    I thought you guys missed the pancakes -- I don't think I even saw you before I left!

I like the place myself, and the swim was much appreciated too.
    -----------------------------------------------
    obstacles are found everywhere, and in taking them, we nourish ourselves.
    http://astrogirl.com/blog/Backpacking

++ New Posts ++