WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Long Trail '04
    Images

I read his book years ago and was fascinated. But I've always been curious how he didn't kill himself in areas like the Whites. Has anyone here ever hiked with him? Can he really not see anything?

Quote Originally Posted by SavageLlama
    I read his book years ago and was fascinated. But I've always been curious how he didn't kill himself in areas like the Whites. Has anyone here ever hiked with him? Can he really not see anything?
    He just fell on this dog a thousand times, it worked well for him. Not too good for the dog however, but who cares about that. I hiked with him for a day in MA, that was all I could take.

Frieden and Ed - World Explorer Team frieden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Only Wanderer
    I encourage all thos who are members here and who support the Irwins in this situation, to write to the State of Maine and its Governor and let them know what you think!
    That is an excellent idea. Anyone know who to write to? Name? Address?

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Kids love Oscar Meyer bologna sammiches and hot dogs.

Mark this day on the calendar! Something we can finally agree on!

I think there are people out there who revere God and quietly live out their lives in love trying to help other people. And then there are people use religion for controll and power always sounding the alarm about what eveybody else is doing wrong. I am a Christian..I try to honor God with my life BUT I am appalled by the behavior I see from some of the religious right groups. I do not think I am the only person who feels this way in fact I think we are about to witness a tremendous backlash against this. Unfortunatly the people in the first group will suffer from some of this backlash. I do not know all the facts from Bills story but I wonder if some of his actions were misinterpeted by the agency. Just a thought...not a soapbox....

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

What I know of Bill Irwin:

1) He is a very religious person, and his faith has gotten him through more than most of us will ever endure.

2) He does not coerce other people to live by the tenets of his faith, tho he will be happy to talk to anyone about it who wants to listen.

AFAIK, he could not--by any stretch of the imagination--be lumped in with the Religious Right fundamentalists who have taken over the GOP and have plans to take over what they don't already control in this nation.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline
    AFAIK, he could not--by any stretch of the imagination--be lumped in with the Religious Right fundamentalists who have taken over the GOP and have plans to take over what they don't already control in this nation.
    why do all roads lead to statements like this? don't get me wrong, i think it's funny, but even a thread a/b bill irwin gets linked to a GOP takeover? vast right wing conspiracies shouldn't occupy space in so many other aspects of life, which are completely unrelated, imho.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by the goat
    why do all roads lead to statements like this? don't get me wrong, i think it's funny, but even a thread a/b bill irwin gets linked to a GOP takeover? vast right wing conspiracies shouldn't occupy space in so many other aspects of life, which are completely unrelated, imho.

I was simply expanding upon Firefly's post, and attempting to clarify this issue as it regards Bill Irwin, from what I know of him. It wasn't written in a vacuum. If you go back and read it, my post was rather supportive of Bill--I didn't want there to be any ambiguity about whether he should be considered in the same vein as Falwell, Dobson, Santorum, Allen, et al just because he does happen to be very religious.

Getting a bit touchy, aren't we?
    Last edited by Skyline; 07-26-2006 at 14:46.

Images

Getting a bit touchy, aren't we?
    not really, just trying to point out that it's getting kinda rediculous, but if you can't see that, my pointing it out won't do you any good either.

(that goes for you too firefly)

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

I was a social worker and have placed many children for adoption. What happens is a social worker meets approved family and determines that child and family might be a good match. SW goes to immediate supervisor who must concur that child and family are a good match. Then the regional supervisor must agree. Then, and only then, is a child placed. This is pretty much the universal practice in the US.

One of four things happened in The Irwins' case:<o></o>
    • the child requested the removal (unlikely as the Irwins would have been told this was the case) <o></o>
    • the child complained about diet and / or treatment to someone like a teacher, guidance counselor etc. (also unlikely as the Irwins would have been told the child complained)<o></o>
    • a local judge, a local foster care review board, the guardian ad litem or someone who reviewed the placement in Maine's state office felt treating the child's emotional problems with prayer was an ineffective treatment or one that could emotionally damage the child -and / or- that a vegan diet likely could not meet the nutritional needs of the child<o></o>
    • the state office fears a lawsuit down the road or bad press from allowing the child to remain with the Irwins due to their religious and dietary practices<o></o>
    <o></o>I have seen some truly disgusting things happen when foster care review boards, local judges or guardian ad litems with an agenda and reviewers in state offices who haven't worked in the field for 20 yrs are allowed to override the judgment of the social workers who actually know the child and family.

A foster care review board is a board made up of people from the community. Most are hand picked by the juvenile judge and it is a very political <o></o>system.

A guardian ad litem is an attorney appointed to represent the best interest of the child to the judge. Every foster child has a guardian ad litem and some are better than others. Some never talk with the children and have no idea what is going on. Others are very involved and dedicated. The Irwins should find out who Amanda's guardian ad litem is and make sure he or she knows what is going on. The guardian ad litem can file legal paperwork to stop actions they feel are not in the child's best interest.<o></o>
    <o></o>

Images

Quote Originally Posted by the goat
    not really, just trying to point out that it's getting kinda rediculous, but if you can't see that, my pointing it out won't do you any good either.

(that goes for you too firefly)

Actually, I think the antics of the Christian AND Muslim Fundamentalists need to be pointed out at EVERY opportunity so we never take our eyes off them. After all, they behave as if their Gods are telling them to take over all of our lives and they take every opportunity to do so.

Tell you what, next November when the Valley Family Forum has their annual "Unveiling" you attend with me, then tell me if these aren't some scary folks with their hands deep in the pockets of real power in Virginia. These very pious zealots unveil their legislative agenda for the coming year, accompanied by their legal teams and all the VA Delegates and Senators who pander to them. They end their evening of fun with a laying-on-of-hands ceremony that our elected officials eagerly participate in. I went last year, and felt like a Jew in a roomful of Nazis.
    Last edited by Skyline; 07-26-2006 at 15:54.

Teletubbies are gay. Falwell says so.

good point, skyline. regarding bill irwin, i don't know the facts, of course, but i wouldn't imagine the state would take away a hard-to-place kid without good reason. mayhaps they detected an excessive amount of jesus mumbo-jumbo in the home. you know, some of these freaks don't believe in medicine and would let a child die before seeking medical assistance.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Teletubbies are gay. Falwell says so.

Damn Wolf, two in one day!

Actually, it's Falwell is gay, the Teletubbies say so.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mingo
    good point, skyline. regarding bill irwin, i don't know the facts, of course, but i wouldn't imagine the state would take away a hard-to-place kid without good reason. mayhaps they detected an excessive amount of jesus mumbo-jumbo in the home. you know, some of these freaks don't believe in medicine and would let a child die before seeking medical assistance.

That stuff happens, unfortunately, but I can't imagine Bill or his wife doing that. Hopefully a quick investigation will clear any doubt about that up, if there is any doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by mdionne
    It is Bill's duty as a citizen of the world to raise offspring and teach them values that can be passed on to other generations.
    Duty as a citizen of the world? Sorry, I must have missed that class.

Sly, it all boils down to a simple math equation, if you don't like it then you need two offspring (preferrably women) to spread values opposite those of Bill...but that means I would have to have four, so don't bother.
    If I don't like what? As far as how Bill raises his kids I could care less.

Kudos to your friend Hickory, and completing his seciton hike. Are you questioning Bill's blindness because you don't think your friend is blind or did your friend do some blue blazing and now your questioning the validity of Bill's hike?
    No I'm not questioning his blindness, I'm asking about his degree of blindness. I raised the point because his website said he's the only blind person to hike the AT. Well, my friend who's legally blind has also hiked the AT. Whether he or Bill missed any white blazes isn't my concern.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by frieden
    That is an excellent idea. Anyone know who to write to? Name? Address?
    [email protected]

i already wrote him a letter myself........

Journal Entries
    Images

What I know of Bill Irwin:

1) He is a very religious person, and his faith has gotten him through more than most of us will ever endure.

2) He does not coerce other people to live by the tenets of his faith, tho he will be happy to talk to anyone about it who wants to listen.

i totally agree............................

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mingo
    are you referring that bill irwin is a freak?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++