WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Would you be interested in a FL Gathering in August 2006?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: FL Gathering

Frieden and Ed - World Explorer Team frieden's Avatar

Default FL Gathering

Would any of the FL hikers be interested in getting together in the coming month? We could do a hike, compare gear and prep work for 2007. Anyone in FL who has already done a thru? If you have the time to come, we could sure use your advice. Where is a good central place? Ocala National Forest area?

It is so hard to get any time off without weeks and weeks notice....works sucks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by frieden
    Would any of the FL hikers be interested in getting together in the coming month? We could do a hike, compare gear and prep work for 2007. Anyone in FL who has already done a thru? If you have the time to come, we could sure use your advice. Where is a good central place? Ocala National Forest area?
    HEY>>>>>it's friggin August already - can you plan this so us northerners can get down there? I would love to come but need more notice-obviously

Goodness sakes, StarLyte, you're in Ohio! Of course you'd need more planning time! I meant people who were already living in the state, who might be able to swing a couple of days, with only a few week's notice - Maybe the end of Aug? To have a Gathering with people from all over the country, we would need months notice at least!

Images

Great idea Frieden! BUT! I lived in FL 18 years, and DAMN its hot in August!! I sure would be up for it, but make it late fall when its cooled down.

I sure would love to get back to Tampa tho, so make the plans!!
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Images

Do you know about the Florida Ruck? If not, PM me and I'll post information here. Never been to one, but plan on it.

Yes, it is very hot in Aug, but I leave the first week of Sept. for CA. I was just wondering if anyone wanted to get together, before then.

I would be in. Let me suggest a sec hike of the Fl. trail in late fall or January. Perhaps around the suwannee river area so some of our Northern brethern could join us?

Also interested in details about the Fl. ruck
    My guns are not as dangerous as Ted Kennedy's car

Do-it-yourself pepsi can stoves - $20 each. Amigi'sLastStand's Avatar
    Images

Not in August. I'll go just about any other time, but August is like hell on earth. Hiking in 100F with saturation humidity during the rainy season is not my idea of fun, sorry.
    You are in heaven.

Images

make it in Feb. Prime hiking season then
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Geezer

Have not completed a thru, but started 2

And sectined most of Shennandoah and north.

I'll be in Orlando from about Aug 27 through Sept 7. I wouldn't mind a hike through Ocala Forest at all, especially the Wilderness near Juniper SPrings.
    Frosty

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    Have not completed a thru, but started 2

And sectined most of Shennandoah and north.

I'll be in Orlando from about Aug 27 through Sept 7. I wouldn't mind a hike through Ocala Forest at all, especially the Wilderness near Juniper SPrings.
    Now heres a person after my own heart. Only problem with a hike in OCN is that the trail can be under water ( like by 2 feet ). And God is it hot. But, I rethought my previous post. I'm up for it if I can. Gotta see when ya'll decide you want to go.
    You are in heaven.

Images

I'm in NC, not FL, but I visit down there quite often. I've always wanted to do some hiking there, too. Unfortunately, the semester starts Aug. 14th, and there's no way I'll be able to do much more than a weekend before October.

If it happens later, let me know!
    Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting. - J. J. Thompson

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Amigi'sLastStand
    Now heres a person after my own heart. Only problem with a hike in OCN is that the trail can be under water ( like by 2 feet ). And God is it hot. But, I rethought my previous post. I'm up for it if I can. Gotta see when ya'll decide you want to go.
    It would give me a break from Space Mtn

Two feet of water on the trail. Man, that would be a lot of water. the land was pretty flat as I recall. I did it in December and it was still hot, but it must have been a dry year because the problem I had with water was not enough of it.
    Frosty

Hmmmm.... thinking about it. But it is really hot through August and into September, and the buzzard-sized mosquitoes are thicker'n attorneys at an accident scene, so I don't know. As was indicated earlier, the trails may be pretty wet but I guess that would keep us from needing to stash water ahead of time. I've done a little hiking in Ocala and over into the Withalacoche area, so I am a little familiar with the terrain.

I guess I am sorta maybe kinda up for it....
    WhoAh

Quote Originally Posted by WhoAh
    But it is really hot through August and into September, and the buzzard-sized mosquitoes are thicker'n attorneys at an accident scene
    Ok, ok! I guess WhoAh said it best. Summer in FL can be rough. Here are 3 ideas:

1. We meet up at Fort Wilderness at Disney. It is still "camping", room service is available, and you get to meet Mickey Mouse. We can compare gear and planning schedules one minute, and rent a paddle boat the next. They are having a special for FL residents around that time, but I don't know if it applies to Fort Wilderness. If anyone works in the outdoor field, or is writing a book, it is a tax write-off.

2. We do a trip to a place like Wekiwa Springs (N. of Orlando), which has a swimming hole (the spring, with caves and stuff - it's really pretty), canoes, and backcountry camping. They even have campsites that you canoe to. That way, if anyone gets hot, they can just go swimming. However, I do have alligator bait attached to my waist at all times, so we might not make it through.

3. We do something like OCN, just lay around half-naked, and sweat.

Images

I vote alexander springs or juniper springs. We can camp and hike. The springs are 72F year round and great to swim in. I know most of the trails in the area and its $17.50 per site/day with four ppl or two tents to a site.
    You are in heaven.

Images

just make sure you bring bottled water. That stuff they call water down there sucks. Nothing can hide the bad taste
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Quote Originally Posted by Amigi'sLastStand
    I vote alexander springs or juniper springs. We can camp and hike. The springs are 72F year round and great to swim in. I know most of the trails in the area and its $17.50 per site/day with four ppl or two tents to a site.
    Sounds good to me!

The bad taste comes from the sulfur. All ground water needs to be treated here.

Ok, ok! I guess WhoAh said it best. Summer in FL can be rough. Here are 3 ideas:

1. We meet up at Fort Wilderness at Disney. It is still "camping", room service is available, and you get to meet Mickey Mouse. We can compare gear and planning schedules one minute, and rent a paddle boat the next. They are having a special for FL residents around that time, but I don't know if it applies to Fort Wilderness. If anyone works in the outdoor field, or is writing a book, it is a tax write-off.

2. We do a trip to a place like Wekiwa Springs (N. of Orlando), which has a swimming hole (the spring, with caves and stuff - it's really pretty), canoes, and backcountry camping. They even have campsites that you canoe to. That way, if anyone gets hot, they can just go swimming. However, I do have alligator bait attached to my waist at all times, so we might not make it through.

3. We do something like OCN, just lay around half-naked, and sweat.

Well.... while option 3 DOES hold interest, in the spirit of keeping my butt out of trouble I guess I vote for the Alexander or Juniper Springs suggestion. We looking at late August or early September?
    WhoAh

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++