WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Sewing machine idiot here...

Yeah, so...I found someone nice enough to let me use a sewing machine on an 'extended loan' type agreement. I've also got a couple of people around who'll help me learn how to use the thing, but they're busy for the next few days and I'm impatient. I can hand sew like the devil, so I figure it can't be THAT hard to figure out. I'm wrong.

I found a website that goes into a fair amount of detail on the setup, threading, etc. I followed the instructions, and I think I have the needle thread run correctly. I've also got the bobbin threaded. I can get the needle thread (eventually) to catch the bobbin thread. Now we come to my first problem.

The website doesn't say what I'm supposed to do with the end of the bobbin thread, once I have the bobbin in its little 'hole'. I've just been leaving it loose. If I work the wheel enough, the needle thread catches it. Is this right?

Now I've got the needle thread run, and the bobbin thread caught, its end hanging off to the side of the machine. Problem: the bobbin thread runs from the needle, down into the base, effectively blocking the spot I need the fabric to be. Solution: just put the fabric in anyway, pushing the thread to the side?

Now I start trying to stitch. Problem: every time I start stitching, the needle thread pulls out of the eye of the needle, and no stitching occurs. Only the first 'loop' of the two threads sticks into the fabric. After that, it's just a big tangle. Solution: untangle and try again?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting. - J. J. Thompson

The bobbin thread should be free of the needle. You put your fabric between the threads, one on top, one on bottom.

Images

Ok thanks...I'll try that

More problems to come, I'm sure.
    Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting. - J. J. Thompson

Images

Ok...that didn't work, unless I'm misunderstanding.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

What did it do, Blackbishop? Did it sew at all? Did the thread turn into a tangled mess?

Images

Bishop, make sure you've got enough thread hanging out. I always pull both over the end of my machine (say six or eight inches). If it's too short, it will pull out of the needle like you're saying and can also tangle because the bottom end can get wrapped around itself.

Are you sewing sil-nylon? For me, that has a tendency to tangle threads much more than anything else, especially when I'm at the end of the fabric. If so, practice with something heavier, like some scrap 1.9 oz. The foot will grip it better, it will tangle less, and you'll get a better sense of how everything works without having to fight the fabric.

Keep the questions coming if you're still having problems. There are definitely plenty of sewing machine maestros on White Blaze.

Images

Patrick - I got some help re-threading the bobbin (thank you, corentin)...I had that part wrong for sure. I've got about 10 inches of thread hanging out of both the bobbin and the needle, too.

And for the moment, I'm just trying cheap cotton thread and an old t-shirt. Just to get the thing working. Get a feel for it. I definitely don't want to go spending $$ on good thread and silnylon if I'm just going to tear it up :P

Images

And yes, I got a tangled mess. And yes, it sewed....ONCE...about 6 or 7 stitches' worth.

During my last four attempts, the needle unthreaded three times, the bobbin jammed twice, and I got some actual stitching once. Not the best track record

Do-it-yourself pepsi can stoves - $20 each. Amigi'sLastStand's Avatar
    Images

I sew, but I am no expert by any stretch. I just found out yesterday ( duh ) that I sewed my tarptent with COTTON thread, totally wrong. But BB, my wife and her mother are both really good seamstresses. When I get home to FL in two weeks I will ask them to look at this thread and see if they can help. I'm just happy your trying a learn a new skill that you can use forever. Very cool dude .
    You are in heaven.

Coonass from Down South jazilla's Avatar
    Images

I am just starting too. I always pull out too much just in case. Like 10 inches. Also make sure the bobin is threaded right. Then make sure the thread from the spool is running ok. Then make sure its on a stitch you like. Then you have to set the tension. For thinner material I use setting 4 and the seems to work for everything I sew. Also learn peddle control. Sew slow, if you speed threw you are more likly to screw up. Also make sure you pin everything then sew. Its like a good Steak. Its not just how you cook it but how you prepair ir to be cooked. Last, just do it. I have ripped enough now that I think I am starting to get it.
    "The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

Images

First, I suggest you learn on a woven material rather than knits and that you set it for about 6 stitches per inch. Second, I suggest you go to the manufacturer's web site and see if a manual is available online for the machine you are using. If so, it will usually have a diagram of how to thread the machine.

If the thread is turning into a tangled mess it usually means the machine is threaded wrong or the tension is wrong for the type of thread and material you are using. There are two tension settings. This site gives the best overall instruction for a novice I have seen in regard to setting tension and using the other mysterious parts on a sewing machine.

If it's any consolation, it took me about 3 nights to get the machine to run correctly. It didn't help that when I first got the machine, I played with just about every setting and mucked it up. I have a bookmark for a guy who has multitudes of sewing manuals available, I was able to purchase the one for my model machine. The bookmark is on another machine, I'll grab it later.

Did you make sure the foot was down? The fabric won't feed through if it's not.

Don't worry, once you get it set up right, you'll be laughing about how hard it was.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

It sounds like your tension is off. Adjust your tension setting ONE NOTCH or ONE NUMBER each way, each time. Your tension will have to be adjusted for different thicknesses of thread and different types of material.

If your tension isn't set right, what you are explaining will occur.

There IS A TENSION KNOB. Find it on your machine. Read your manual if you can't figure it out. Sewing machines are a little intimidating aren't they.

Oh yeah-make sure your pressure foot is down like Alligator mentioned.

If all else fails, contact your local fabric shop (Joanne Fabrics?) and see when the next beginner's sewing class starts. Don't be shy. Good luck.

Images

Hey guys, thanks for all the help. Here's where I am now -

Foot has always been down. Like I said, I found a pretty good introduction to sewing page, and I didn't miss that part

Tension was set at "5" when I got the machine, and I've turned it down to "4" since, thinking that was the problem. Didn't help. Should I set it lower?

You guys have no idea how embarassing this is! LOL I've walked into a particle accelerator facility with NO experience before....summer REU program...and didn't have this much trouble! Man...I hope my physics buddies don't hear about this when they get back here in a couple of weeks!

I don't really have the time/$$ right now for a class, although that'd probably be the best option. Like I said orignally, I'm also supposed to have some help coming sometime next week...I'm impatient though. And I'm also really stubborn, so now that I've started playing with this, I'm not gonna quit until it works! lol

Thanks again for all the help! I'll keep plugging away!

Images

Don't be embarrassed. I admire you.

Go to an online sewing forum. You will positively get help that way. For free

Images

I don't suppose you have a link for one? I'm finding out recently that I have 'internet search issues'....I can't seem to find stuff I'm looking for, usually the more obvious it is, the less likely I'll see it

Images

Just as home depot offers free classes, fabric stores often offer classes. You might check with them. Don't be embrassed - I got my training in 8th grade home ec (manditory for all girls back then) and screwed up so much the teacher let me go to shop class during much of the year (where I wanted to be, but it wasn't PC for a girl to take shop back then). The shop teacher was OK with me being there once he realized I was really interested in power tools more than the boys operating them (oh, the jokes that could be made about this)

Images

Dino - yeah.....I'm not gonna touch that with a 10' treehugger! lol WAAAAY too easy!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351
    I don't suppose you have a link for one? I'm finding out recently that I have 'internet search issues'....I can't seem to find stuff I'm looking for, usually the more obvious it is, the less likely I'll see it
    http://sewing.about.com/mpboards.htm

http://www.sewingworld.com/cgi-bin/bbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

http://www.fiskars.com/US/

http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=5

Images

StarLyte - Thanks!! I've joined one and posted, so we'll see what kind of help I can get!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++