WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    19K3P4A82A

Default How to make a cozy for freezer bag cooking in a few easy steps.

After a little outing with me, Keith (AKA blackbishop351), wanted to try some freezer bag cooking and wanted to make a cozy like I have for heating and eating out of.

Here is his story:
    Step 1: Gather materials; CCF pad from wallyworld, multi-purpose tape, knife.(not rocket science even though he is a rocket scientist)

Step 2: Mark pattern on the CCF.

Step 3: Start your fold. Small flaps keep the bottom wide and provide more insulation.

Step 4: Apply tape liberally.

Step 5: Insert bag, food, hot water. (note: sides of cozy are overlapped for more insulation for the seam.)

Step 6: Put on lid and let sit.

Step 7: Enjoy your delicious meal out of a nice insulated holder!

For more on how to cook your meals using this setup go to: Freezer bag cooking

Images

Pretty clever - thanks.

Hey-you're good photographer.

Images

Thank you, thank you....I do try
    Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting. - J. J. Thompson

Images

Hey Jim..thanks for the great pics! One question...what does "CCF" stand for? Thanks!
    The Most Important Things In Life Are Not Things....

Images

CCF is "closed cell foam"...you can find the pad I used to make this at any walmart....get the thin one (about 3/8" thick I think) for about $5. It's a full-length sleeping pad, good for lots of cozies, or a half-pad and a few cozies, or making your own hip belt, or.....the list goes on
    Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting. - J. J. Thompson

Thumbs up

You guys were busy
    Nice pictorials!
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Aussie thru-hiking NOBO in 07 Smacky70's Avatar

I recently also made myself a cozy out of closed cell foam. I should post some pictures. My design is similar to this one except I used seam grip instead of tape for the joins, so the end result is that mine looks a heck of alot sturdier (but still as light).

19K3P4A82A

Sarbar - I thank you the most for brining freezer bag cooking into my life. My cooking guru.

Efficient, lightweight, easy and cheap. My kind of project!

Images

I just realized this is pretty much a carbon copy of HOI's cozy....not intentional, I assure you. Looks like he did a nicer, neater job anyway

And for you ounce weenies, I don't have an exact weight yet, sorry. But my Primus stove weighs in at a bit over 3 oz., and this thing is definitely lighter. Even WITH the yards of duct tape

Does CCF work better than fleece? Fleece takes up a hell of a lot less space since you can stash it in your pot.

Images

I would think fleece wouldn't insulate nearly as well. Most of the cozies I've seen have been CCF or sunshade material (mylar fabric of some sort).

I'm working on revising my design to fit inside my pot - I use a 1 L. I've also noticed an added benefit, though....the way mine's built, I can fit a 20 oz. bottle in it, with only the very top poking out. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems like I could use this to keep a watter bottle nice and cool during the summer...just a thought.

Images

I have used a cozy from Anti Gravity Gear until I wore it out. This was made from Double-Bubble Foil usually used as hot water heater insulation.

I then made a new cozy out of 300 weight fleece from an old jacket. It seems to work just as well as the foil cozy and I can wash it.. it takes up less pack space and in a pinch I have used it as a pillow cover.

Mother Nature
    Sue Buak

Images

I've looked at the AGG foil cozies too. The CCF design has one thing the foil doesnt, though - I sized the top of the foam so it holds the bag open at the top. This makes eating and water pouring much easier.

Of course, it's my cozy so I'm biased

On the other side of the issue, my cozy definitely doesn't pack that small. But it's not THAT big, and it IS 'squishable'. One thing I'm definitely going to try is making one that'll stand upright on its own. Mine doesn't do that, but HOI has a very similar design (that I didn't know about 'till after I made mine) that does.

Images

my wife's gonna kill me for using the kitchen to make more "backpacking crap!" seriously, thanks guys!
    Official Star Schlep Crew Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351
    I've looked at the AGG foil cozies too. The CCF design has one thing the foil doesnt, though - I sized the top of the foam so it holds the bag open at the top. This makes eating and water pouring much easier.

Of course, it's my cozy so I'm biased

On the other side of the issue, my cozy definitely doesn't pack that small. But it's not THAT big, and it IS 'squishable'. One thing I'm definitely going to try is making one that'll stand upright on its own. Mine doesn't do that, but HOI has a very similar design (that I didn't know about 'till after I made mine) that does.
    Btw all you gearheads..if want, I'd be way more than happy to post photos and directions on my site! (That is if ya want to give away your secrets of CCF..lol!) You can always drop me a write up with 600x800 photos, and I'd put them up!
    Sarah
    Trail Cooking

Images

Sarah - I'm still in the 'playing around' phase with mine (not what I'd call 'polished' by any means), but feel free to copy the original post and photos if you want! It's kinda flattering, actually

I'll be sure to repost when I come up with improvements!

Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351
    Sarah - I'm still in the 'playing around' phase with mine (not what I'd call 'polished' by any means), but feel free to copy the original post and photos if you want! It's kinda flattering, actually

I'll be sure to repost when I come up with improvements!
    I am a gear head/gear whore..I love making stuff-and more than that, I love showing to others that we can be cheap, frugal, light and have more fun
    Trail Cooking

Images

Gear whore?? I'm not even gonna touch that....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by vaporjourney
    Does CCF work better than fleece? Fleece takes up a hell of a lot less space since you can stash it in your pot.
    I made mine so that the entire kitchen(stove, pot, stand, fuel, windscreen, etc.)nests inside. It serves double duty as a carrying case.
    Last edited by Skidsteer; 11-20-2006 at 18:44.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++