WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Default Jim & Molly Denton Shelter (VA)

The first in a string of exceptional PATC shelters heading north (Rod Hollow and David Lesser are the others). I was going to overnight here in October 2001, but I was feeling strong after starting out at Front Royal and it was a lovely day for hiking, so I pushed on to Manassas Gap. Big mistake!

I ate lunch here in the company of Groundpounder and his son, SOBOs from Connecticut out for a week. The shelter design is similar to David Lesser: Dining pavilion, porch with bench seating outside the shelter, clean, a great front yard that gets a lot of sun, a piped spring with water drawn from a spigot, plus a cold-water shower that I wasn't dirty enough to take advantage of yet.

All in all, a great shelter. I think I read that Tom Floyd Wayside, just north of SNP, was recently rebuilt. If you're a NOBO and not stopping in Front Royal, then I'd shoot to stay at the Denton Shelter instead of Tom Floyd.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

I was at the denton shelter in May of 2005 and the shower was non functional. At least I couldn't figure it out...
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

We stopped by the Denton shelter on 4/12/06, the shower was up and running and the place looked great. A great place to stay, IMO.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Default Best Shelter I know of

This is the best shelter in my section of the AT (I hike Harper's Ferry to Rockfish Gap mostly). I bet people day hike here just to have a family picnic.

I was stunned by what an awesome shelter this was when I got there, but I was too dumb to figure out the shower.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lemni Skate View Post
    This is the best shelter in my section of the AT (I hike Harper's Ferry to Rockfish Gap mostly). I bet people day hike here just to have a family picnic.

I was stunned by what an awesome shelter this was when I got there, but I was too dumb to figure out the shower.
    I live six miles from the shelter, and when My mom and me have free time on a weekend and feel up to it, we hike to the shelter. It normally is a Sunday afternoon, so lunch is passed but that doesn't mean a nice cup of (tea, or coffee) isn't nice to have. Lat time I went I was testing out my stove and when i went to blow it out, I found the flame shooting at me and some of my hair getting shorter

It is my favorite shelter and would love to spend the night but is just so close to home that there is no point to. But right now the shelter along with many others are swarmed with stickbugs, so beware.

Images

This is one of my favorite shelters. I stayed in December of 2006 on my thru hike. I got in early and lounged around reading a scifi short story book I found. During the night I woke up to pee and watched an incredible meteor shower that went on for some time. I remember how amazing clear the sky was.

Images

great shelter, verrrrrrry nice adirondack-style bench on the patio that accomodates a weary hiker wonderfully. nice separate covered picnic area. I couldnt figure the shower out either but maybe it was just empty due to lack of rain in late fall. great shelter and theres a small resupply town named leaton about 2 miles north of it where the owner will drive you back to the trail. ( for you cheaters out there, he even offers to drive you to a fire road thatll take you right to the next shelter... resist the temptation. DO, however, accept the free beers he keeps in a cooler during the ride though)
    I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

Journal Entries

I stopped here for a snack and a shower and ended up staying a while, enjoying the double Adirondack chair. I would have stayed here if I'd planned it right. I will next time.

Images

I never stayed there but in 2002 I got to hang out with Grits there. Next time I'll leave Front Royal later in the day with a goal of sleeping there. It is another one of those in between shelters for NOBO thru-hikers.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Images

There's a couple of "don't miss" hostels near this shelter plus not far from Harper's Ferry so I bet that causes people to miss this shelter (I arrived here at noon and it was so nice I was tempted to stay), but I think the people who stay here enjoy it.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

Images

This is a great shelter where I also stopped for lunch and would have spent the night if it hadn't been so early.

We stopped here back in May for a break and I took a quick shower. We continued on and I was sweaty and hot within an hour. Oh well the shower still felt great while it lasted.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up Stayed here in 2013 June

Well-built shelter. Plenty of room, a covered picnic area, bear poles for your food bags, an Adirondack style couch on the porch, brick on the walkway between the shelter and the picnic area.

Some things to know:
    Cooking or eating in the shelter is prohibited. There are a lot of bears in this area, and it is imperative that no bear makes the association between the smell of humans and easy food.
    The picnic shelter has a clothes line. And the fire ring is (partially) beneath the roof, so you could (in theory) start a fire with rain coming down. Just don't go down in history as the person who burned down the picnic shelter!
    There's a shower facility installed but, like everyone else, I could not figure out how to use it. Maybe there just wasn't any water in the barrel.
    The water source was just a couple dozen meters downhill from this shower. Is it a good idea to have people showering off all their bodily fluids with soap and shampoo, and then have their rinse water flowing down into a stream from which people drink the water?

Overall, a very nice job done by the people who made and support this place!

Stopped by yesterday. There was a Trail magic box, which contained a sweaty stinky pair of shorts or long underwear of some sort. And expired mountain house meal and a Lipton meal. I'm guessing that's not really magic?

Excessive heat and there was no breeze so I didnt stay long. Shower was working. Spring was flowing.

Great spot, though I'm not a thru hiker I could see visiting there for a overnighter with my kids.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Great spot, though I'm not a thru hiker I could see visiting there for a overnighter with my kids.
    Why the emphasis on thru hiker? The trail in its entirety is for everyone to enjoy and take care of.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

The shelter is apparently owned by Potomac Appalachian Trail Club (PATC) and the intended use is not for day hikers or groups but long distance thru hikers. Or so say the caretakers in various media (online, also in the shelter)

I tend to disregard such advisements myself, arguing the subjective nature of "long distance".

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

all I remember is a beautiful shelter with a bunch of stressed out NOBOs. would like to go there in the fall and sleep for a few days.

It's a beautiful place, in the right temps would be hard not to pass

Images

Don't stop on the weekend, I have had 2 bad nights(4 years apart) due to locals bringing 30 packs of beer and partying until the wee hours. I finally got a good nights sleep on a wed. night hiking with the Ladies of Whiteblaze.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    Don't stop on the weekend, I have had 2 bad nights(4 years apart) due to locals bringing 30 packs of beer and partying until the wee hours. I finally got a good nights sleep on a wed. night hiking with the Ladies of Whiteblaze.
    Bad night? Did you have too many out of the 30 packs?
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++