WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Completed thru hikes and pack weights

I know that of all the people who attempt to thru hike each year, only a few actually complete the whole trip. I'd like to get an idea of pack weights for those who've completed. In other words, do ultra light types have a higher sucess rate? And yes, I know that your gear doesn't get you there. I'm just curious to see how much of a role going ultra light actually plays in completing a thru hike.
    Official Star Schlep Crew Member

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

My pack weighed 43 lbs at Springer in March 2003. I switched packs and swapped out gear/clothing in Pearisburg getting my total pack weight (with food and water) down to around 25 - 26 lbs and finished my hike at that level.

Could I have made it all the way carrying the 43 lb load ?? Maybe, but it would have been less pleasant.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger
    My pack weighed 43 lbs at Springer in March 2003. I switched packs and swapped out gear/clothing in Pearisburg getting my total pack weight (with food and water) down to around 25 - 26 lbs and finished my hike at that level.

Could I have made it all the way carrying the 43 lb load ?? Maybe, but it would have been less pleasant.

'Slogger
    I forgot to factor in the changes in seasons, thanks. I'm all about carrying less, but comfort for me is a little more important. I'm just trying to determine a good starting pack weight (NOBO).

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

We started in the winter (FEB 1) and my pack weighed about 33 lbs with around 4 days of food and water. My wife's weighed about 27 lbs. Our pack starting pack weight did not change any compared to our finish pack weight at Katahdin except for dumping the winter gear. At Katahdin, mine weighed around 27 lbs and my wife's weighed around 20 lbs. The two main weight-decreasing items came from the fact we were able to dump lots of clothes and our two heavier sleeping bags, replaced with a summer bag that we shared used as a quilt once it got warmer.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Without food and water my pack weighed 22 lbs in the winter and 17 lbs in the summer. I'd say keeping my packweight low was a key factor in my completion.

One need not go as far as strict ultra-light, just choosing lighter weight gear can make a big difference.

I carried (and still carry) 45 to 55 pounds. I may go less when I get old but I doubt it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay
    I may go less when I get old but I doubt it.
    ====================================

How old is old ??

'Slogger

Images

35-45 pounds depending on winter/summer gear, number of meals and water conditions.

TTF

The March start weight for me was 32 lbs with food and water. I dropped to about 26 lbs in the summer and finished up with about 26 lbs. I consider this to be just light weight, not ultra light... I carried an air mattress, cutdown ridge rest, pocketmail, ate mainly dehydrated food though.. If I were doing it over again, I might not take the 15 degree sleeping bag at the beginning, I would take the lighter one and just wear long underwear at night.

Images

The next thing I guess I'll do is post my gear list to be disected. Thanks for everyone's input, this site has been and will continue to be a HUGE help!

Images

I'm starting my SOBO hike in July of '07 with a base weight of 16 pounds. I'm hoping to drop another 1-2 pounds before the start. My goal is to stay around 22-24 pounds with food and water.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead
    I know that of all the people who attempt to thru hike each year, only a few actually complete the whole trip. I'd like to get an idea of pack weights for those who've completed. In other words, do ultra light types have a higher sucess rate? And yes, I know that your gear doesn't get you there. I'm just curious to see how much of a role going ultra light actually plays in completing a thru hike.
    Hammerhead,

I travel by most hikers's ultra-light. To answer your question do ultra-light types have a highter sucess rate, I don't believe so. Most of your "ultra-light" that have their own websites, publish books, etc only go out for a short time - a couple weeks at best. Few will thru-hike a long distance trail.

I've also met or heard of several thru-hikers that really did not enjoy hiking "ultra-light" but did it for one reason or another.

My suggest is this, carry what make you happy. If your pack weight is too heavy that it bothers you, lighten it then.

Just my $.02

Wolf

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000
    Hammerhead,

I travel by most hikers's ultra-light. To answer your question do ultra-light types have a highter sucess rate, I don't believe so. Most of your "ultra-light" that have their own websites, publish books, etc only go out for a short time - a couple weeks at best. Few will thru-hike a long distance trail.

I've also met or heard of several thru-hikers that really did not enjoy hiking "ultra-light" but did it for one reason or another.

My suggest is this, carry what make you happy. If your pack weight is too heavy that it bothers you, lighten it then.

Just my $.02

Wolf
    That is kind of my approach. I haven't thrued yet, so this might change. I am somewhere around 20-21 lbs without food or water. I could easily drop weight by switching to aqua from a purifier and ditching the 11.6 oz digital camera along with other things. But some things I do not want to give up. I also hate being cold, so I pack a few more clothes than most. I do a lot of my practice hikes with 30 lbs and don't think it will be a problem.

In the end it will all work out. Just sit back and let it happen.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Pack weight

I did a thru in "01" at the age of 66. I started at Springer with a pack that weighed about 40 lbs. with cold weather gear. After sheding my cold gear I weighed my pack at Damaskas, with food and water, and it weighed 36 lbs. I never weighed it again but did make some other weight saving cuts. I ended probably around 32 lbs.
    My thinking was: All the folks who hiked the trail before say 1980 only had heavy stuff to carry. A lot of them still hiked the whole trail carrying over 40 lbs. If they could do it so could I.
    Many potental thru-hikers think that because they are traveling light that they will have an easy hike. They soon find out that they are wrong and doing a thru-hike is just plain hard work for a long time.
    Grampie-N->2001

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger
    ====================================

How old is old ??

'Slogger
    When I can't carry a measely 50 pounds up a mountain.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay
    When I can't carry a measely 50 pounds up a mountain.
    ==============================
    "Can't" or "Won't" ?? I can ...I just refuse to. Guess I'm finally getting old !!

'Slogger

I started out southbound. My pack weighed 65 lbs with 10+ days worth of food to get through the 100 mile wilderness. I (very stupidly) ignored the park ranger's advice and summitted Katahdin with that pack. My thru-hike almost ended that night : ).

At my lightest, which was early fall, I was 22-24lbs with food and water. Dumping all extraneous stuff, switching out gear, etc.

I finished December 11th so I had to get some extra winter gear, 0 degree bag, long underwear, etc... jumped to 30 or so lbs with food and water.

Learn as you go : ). I think a lighter pack helps make it a little more enjoyable, I certainly grew fatigued quicker, shedding weight and getting hiking shape makes the hiking better. But it certainly doesn't indicate whether you're going to make it or not. One of the guys I hiked 3 months with was around 45-50 lbs the whole trip and he loved every minute of it. Just bring what feels comfortable and if you ever start hating your pack, send some stuff home.

Images

The next thing I guess I'll do is post my gear list to be disected. Thanks for everyone's input, this site has been and will continue to be a HUGE help!
    ha ha that's funny--dissected---why don't you bring your full pack to a Ruck instead? There ya go.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by StarLyte
    ha ha that's funny--dissected---why don't you bring your full pack to a Ruck instead? There ya go.
    here goes.....what's a Ruck?

Images

here goes.....what's a Ruck?
    I love when I'm asked that question.

PA Ruck
    PA Ruck photos 2006
    PA Ruck photos 2005

Southern Ruck
    Southern Ruck photos 2006
    Southern Ruck photos 2005