WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default you win the lottery

youve won 356 million dollars .how and does this effect your planned 2007 thru hike.

only jesus riding on a white horse comming in the clouds effects my hike.

no effect.
    matthewski

not one bit!!!!!!!!

Images

I might get that new sleeping bag and a tent that won't blow away on the mountaintop. I do need a new pack. Other than that, no effect.

It would be about 6 months longer GA to ME then ME to GA then GA to HI or CANCUN
    "I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth".....Steve McQueen

NO MATTER WHAT HAVE FUN!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Uh...I don't play the lottery.

But hubby just got a big bonus check today from all his hard work this past year, so that helps with the 2007 finances!

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

It means I could actually thru in 2007, with my family traveling along in an RV or something.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsylvania Rose
    It means I could actually thru in 2007, with my family traveling along in an RV or something.

Ditto I'm sure!

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

I'd hire some sherpas

Don't play the lottery but it wouldn't change my hike plans anyway, just my after hike plans.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Hmmm... Are llamas allowed on the AT? I would likely get one to carry my gear. I'd also have a small camper custom built for the male dino and me with a solar heated water reservoir on top so we could have a hot shower and bed waiting at road crossings. Finally, I'd have a tent custom made for us - something a bit bigger than Shires Rainbow II, but similar in design.

I'd also use some of the money to purchase land to help make the Great Eastern Trail a reality.

Default Hmmm...

I'd have someone pave the eastern third of the AT in Pennsylvania, for starters, bulldozing and blasting a gentle level (WRT side-to-side)switchbacked path through all the rock escarpments. I'd hire someone to put blazes at every single trail intersection in advance of my hike. Helicoptering all the shelters more than 0.2 miles from the AT and putting them within 100 yards of the AT is another. Drilling wells by every shelter (where it's geologically feasible) that has no reliable water source within 0.2 miles is another. And, putting up a sign (high enough in the air to be nearly vandalism-proof) by each shelter that groups of 5+ must camp in their entirety is one more. Lastly, putting in shelters (that hold at least 12 hikers, with skylights, screens, and bear boxes) anywhere along the Trail where there is over 12 miles between them (starting with the Whites and the Cumberland Valley) would be one more improvement I'd make. Screw asking the ATC for permission first, either. I figure they'd be so shell-shocked, that they'd never get around to negating the improvements before everyone became so accustomed to said improvements the ATC would never dare destroy that work.

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

I would be able to thru, and my wife could follow along in a kickin' RV. Oh, yeah, and I would probably call my buddy and tell him he's hikin' for sure and I'll take care of the finances! I'd put him on the "payroll" and tackle the triple crown over the next few years!
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Images

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith
    I'd have someone pave the eastern third of the AT in Pennsylvania, for starters, bulldozing and blasting a gentle level (WRT side-to-side)switchbacked path through all the rock escarpments. I'd hire someone to put blazes at every single trail intersection in advance of my hike. Helicoptering all the shelters more than 0.2 miles from the AT and putting them within 100 yards of the AT is another. Drilling wells by every shelter (where it's geologically feasible) that has no reliable water source within 0.2 miles is another. And, putting up a sign (high enough in the air to be nearly vandalism-proof) by each shelter that groups of 5+ must camp in their entirety is one more. Lastly, putting in shelters (that hold at least 12 hikers, with skylights, screens, and bear boxes) anywhere along the Trail where there is over 12 miles between them (starting with the Whites and the Cumberland Valley) would be one more improvement I'd make. Screw asking the ATC for permission first, either. I figure they'd be so shell-shocked, that they'd never get around to negating the improvements before everyone became so accustomed to said improvements the ATC would never dare destroy that work.
    Having another go in 2007? Too bad your money probably ran out somewhere during the 3rd or 4th sentence.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

In the spirit of MN-Smith, I'm putting a sky-lift up Katahdin.

You could always just hire someone to hike it for you...

The Lottery is the governments way of getting back at those who didn't listen in math class.
    Of course it would change my hike. I would stay in the best hotels when i did get to town and order the best meals. I would have someone meet me in towns and do my laundry for me, pick up any mail drops, give me my bounce box, cold beer, pot, and probably some beautiful women too.
    who wouldn't?
    but then again, i won't play the lottery so i'll just keep having close to just as much fun in life anyway.

Images

Id buy some land near the AT. Put up my own secret shelter with connecting trail, and then do a flip flop from that spot. The rest of the money would be for something else. I don't plan on changing my hike because of a little money.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Default Not a bad idea IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs
    In the spirit of MN-Smith, I'm putting a sky-lift up Katahdin.
    At least nonhiking family and friends could see you put your hand on the sign and take a pic of you placing your Springer rock on the pile atop Katahdin.

Images

I picture this hiking entourage with music, sherpas, camera crew and hiker groupies coming over the crest of a hill like that scene in Caddyshack with Rodney Dangerfield. Cringe!

I saw something like this on the PCT. A Japanese family was taking a packtrain (Horses and mules carry you and your camp) vacation. They were spending $35K and had about 20 mules carrying everything from a portable generator to a color TV. It was absurd.

LOL!

TTF

I'd do some serious hiking in Iran. I hear they love American hikers.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++