WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Lightweight Thermometer?

Does anyone have any ideas for a small, functional, ultralight thermometer for the trail? The only thing I've seen was one built into a compass, but already having a compass, I'd hate to purchase a new one. What do you all use, if anything?

Images

If it's that hot, or that cold, I really don't want to know the exact temperture. Everything in between is good.

What I'd like to find is a lightweight mini-max thermometer. I have a mini-max put out by Coghlan but I'm not too impressed with it.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...m_cat=datafeed
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Images

vaporjourney--
    I'm not sure what you're using for a time piece(if any), but I use the High Gear Digital Compass (watch,alarm,digital compass,thermometer). All that for 1.5 oz.--I clipped off the metal ring at the base. I don't know if they are still making this item officially, but I just googled it--it is on sale at cabelas.com

good luck,

GlazeDog

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddleback
    What I'd like to find is a lightweight mini-max thermometer. I have a mini-max put out by Coghlan but I'm not too impressed with it.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...m_cat=datafeed
    I had one of these and the slightest bump caused it to reset. After a day in my pack (or clipped on) it was pretty much worthless. I returned it and the replacement had the same problem. I like the idea though - I hate wearing a watch in the woods but wish I had a more dependable thermometer. Am I rambling?
    So be it.
    --John

Images

I carry a Highgear AltiTech II

Images

Not sure what you would call it, but I've got a real light thermometer consisting of a plastic tube maybe 1\4" in diameter and 6" long with the thermo stuff inside, with a blue plastic cover which slides down over it. Accurate, light, and fits anywhere. Its probably over 10 years old though, I wouldn't know where to find another one:\

Brian

Frieden and Ed - World Explorer Team frieden's Avatar

Don't have a link to give you, but I know they make them in strips, like a flexible sticker about 2-3 inches long. I can't think of anything lighter than that.

Images

I have several compasses also, but in the interest of lightening up and multiuse gear I picked up a Suunto Comet micro-compass w/ thermometer & 1 1/2" scale & wind chill scale (.32 oz). It's more than a toy and less than a full utility compass. However, the AT is a special case to me (YMMV). I just want to confirm my sense of direction, not have full map and orienteering abilities. The thermometer works fine and the device is covered in heavy plastic. It seemed a nice compromise. I found it at EMS, and I think REI has it under their brand.
    BigToe
    Men have become the tools of their tools.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Thumbs down Out Of Luck

Taylor used to make excellent little minimum registering thermometers that cost $29, but I bought the last 2 about 3 years ago! I have since broken one (they break easily).

I have been searching for some time w/ no results. I don't think it exists.....
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud
    Taylor used to make excellent little minimum registering thermometers that cost $29, but I bought the last 2 about 3 years ago! I have since broken one (they break easily).

I have been searching for some time w/ no results. I don't think it exists.....
    not exactly little but relatively cheap: http://www.seedburo.com/online_cat/categ06/314sd.asp

registers max and min - might be able to trim it up some to reduce size/weight

Images

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults <<<this is what I carry,I havnt weighed it yet but its very light.
    "Theres is no real hope of traveling perfectly light in the mountains.It is good to try,as long as you realize that,like proving a unified field theory,mastering Kanji,or routinely brewing the perfect cup of coffee,the game can never be won." Smoke Blanchard

Images

Default .75 oz multi-purpose w/thermometer

I have this: http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...8000&langId=-1

Just look below the pic and there's a link to view the other side w/the thermometer. It is in 5 degree increments though, so if you're looking for exact, this may not be for you.
    The Most Important Things In Life Are Not Things....

We're gonna need a bigger boat... Emsadida's Avatar

What about a cigar hygrometer? Seeing as how you don't need one designed to get the crap beat out of it, this little guy should do the trick. It's got a min/max on it so you can keep an eye on over-night lows and daytime highs. Just be diligent in resetting on a regular schedule.

http://www.donsalvatore.net/products/product.php?id=59

dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
    (howard zinn)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by vaporjourney View Post
    Does anyone have any ideas for a small, functional, ultralight thermometer for the trail? The only thing I've seen was one built into a compass, but already having a compass, I'd hate to purchase a new one. What do you all use, if anything?
    This is what I use and it works great. And the price and seller are great.

http://www.antigravitygear.com/store...roducts_id=209
    A Fact Of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says;

W T F...............

KB3SYZ
    -.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

http://shakeyleggs.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeyLeggs View Post
    This is what I use and it works great. And the price and seller are great.

http://www.antigravitygear.com/store...roducts_id=209
    From what I've seen in the past, that's a good price antigravitygear is posting.

I believe this is the same piece, less the compass, that I posted about above. Its accuracy is OK but not great. However, what I really don't like is that the temperature updates every five minutes. In other words, you look at the thermometer and you may or may not be looking at the 'current' temperature. I've seen and heard TV, radio, and internet reporting give temps from minutes or hours ago but I've never seen an actual thermometer give time-lag measurements...that just bugs me.

I know that sounds obsessive and My Lady says I have an obsessive personality. I'm trying very, very, very, very, very hard to correct that. Very.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

I'm so low tech -- I have a peel and stick thermometer / humidity guage meant to be used on a reptile's enclosure wall. It's tiny and pretty darn accurate. Range is 20 to 110 F. If it's above or below that, I don't want to know....

I agree with Fiddleback about that thermometer. If you pull it out of the car on a cold day, it may take 30 minute for that thermometer to give you the current temperature. It's not just obsessive behavior.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++