WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default end of world,hike or die?

economic collapse combined with outbreaks of plague and water shortages.will the nooks and crannies of the appalachian trail hide survivors? will a community in the after days spring up around the resourses of the AT ?

YES I HOPE
    matthewski

End of days? I'll be too busy with...um, "other" endeavors to hike.

And I'd head to the Rockies before I put my stock in the Appalachians. Too much population back east means more of them will be in that area. Not too many people in the backcountry of 14'ers.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone
    economic collapse combined with outbreaks of plague and water shortages.will the nooks and crannies of the appalachian trail hide survivors? will a community in the after days spring up around the resourses of the AT ?
    You've been talking to MS again, haven't you?
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Wow, what a pessimist.

According to Ancient Mayan Prognostication you'd be wise to get your thru hike in prior to Fri Dec 21, 2012. End of Time per the Mayan Calendar.

Question Ancient Mayan Prognostication...

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge
    According to Ancient Mayan Prognostication you'd be wise to get your thru hike in prior to Fri Dec 21, 2012. End of Time per the Mayan Calendar.
    If they were so smart, where are they now?

Saving up gas and ammo. Hiked the AT. Watched "The Road Warrior" a coupla dozen times. I think I'm ready!

Images

Nope. Too many of them need a shelter. There will be murder and mayhem as each kills the other to get a spot in the only few shelters left.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Frieden and Ed - World Explorer Team frieden's Avatar

2012?!? Hike now! I want to get out there now, before it's gone. Just look at what has happened to the Colorado River in the past few years. I'm glad I saw our country when I was little, although I don't remember everything. I wish I had been able to see Glacier National Park. Now, for the most part, they are all gone. I drove I-10 coming home to Tampa from San Diego a few months ago. I just wanted to cry. I could see the tops of mature trees way out in the ocean. They'll all be dead now. A few months ago, there was a wood with huge oak trees near my house. It is all condos, now. I watched them cut the trees down, and it just ripped my heart out. Places in the world that used to be lush and green, are now dry with huge cracks in the earth. How far are you going to hike without water? Man can take out hundreds of acres in a month; Mother Nature can take out 3 states in 3 hours.

There is no "if", anymore. It is the end of the world - as we know it. Get out there now!

Images

I'd head to the rockies. We'll all meet at the outfitter in Idaho Springs, have a pizza and then jump start our new civilization by figuring out how to make moonshine from Ramen. Seeing as how alcohol can be used as a fuel and a medicine.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Alcohol can be manufactured from plant material that is not normally eaten. I suggest we keep our food supplies to use during the first year as our crops will not have had a chance to grow and be eaten.

Pretty hard getting maildrops with the world ending and all that stuff

No need to panic, plenty of time left according to the Rapture Index.

http://www.raptureready.com/rap2.html

Quote Originally Posted by frieden
    2012?!? Hike now! I want to get out there now, before it's gone. Just look at what has happened to the Colorado River in the past few years. I'm glad I saw our country when I was little, although I don't remember everything. I wish I had been able to see Glacier National Park. Now, for the most part, they are all gone. I drove I-10 coming home to Tampa from San Diego a few months ago. I just wanted to cry. I could see the tops of mature trees way out in the ocean. They'll all be dead now. A few months ago, there was a wood with huge oak trees near my house. It is all condos, now. I watched them cut the trees down, and it just ripped my heart out. Places in the world that used to be lush and green, are now dry with huge cracks in the earth. How far are you going to hike without water? Man can take out hundreds of acres in a month; Mother Nature can take out 3 states in 3 hours.

There is no "if", anymore. It is the end of the world - as we know it. Get out there now!
    I wasn't aware that the CO river was gone ( was at the grand canyon 3 years ago and it looked pretty good) or that Glacier NP is gone. That is my favorite NP and i'd be quite bummed if you were being truthful. What do you mean the CO river and Glacier are all gone? Are we on the same planet?

Frieden and Ed - World Explorer Team frieden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead
    I wasn't aware that the CO river was gone ( was at the grand canyon 3 years ago and it looked pretty good) or that Glacier NP is gone. That is my favorite NP and i'd be quite bummed if you were being truthful. What do you mean the CO river and Glacier are all gone? Are we on the same planet?
    I didn't say the CO River was gone, or that Glacier NP is gone. However, all of the glaciers in the park will be completely gone in only a few years. The CO River is being sucked dry, and is a stream compared to what it was. What is happening to these places is no secret. Just because you don't keep up with the conditions of these places, doesn't give you the right to call me a liar. I don't take that lightly.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone
    I'm a writer and this sounds like the beginning of an interesting novel that someone should write.

he he

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I don't consider that i called anyone a liar.
    I was referring to this part of your post: "Hike now! I want to get out there now, before it's gone. Just look at what has happened to the Colorado River in the past few years. I'm glad I saw our country when I was little, although I don't remember everything. I wish I had been able to see Glacier National Park. Now, for the most part, they are all gone."
    You said gone twice. Once seemingly referring to the CO river ( i was thoroughly amazed on my kayak of that river 4 years ago) and then again, seemingly about Glacier NP. (my favorite US National Park) If you weren't talking about those two places, then maybe you should proof read your posts before hitting the button.
    Sorry if i offended you but my memories of these two places are quite different from yours.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly
    No need to panic, plenty of time left according to the Rapture Index.

http://www.raptureready.com/rap2.html
    that's a wild site Sly----

Images

Damn, you mean over the last few years I've spent hundreds of dollars getting newer lighter gear and now I'm back to toting 50lbs of guns and ammo?!?! Hey, my knees just called...and they're pissed! And they want a refund. Good thing I saved all that green crap. Where's my bayonet?....
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Get a Glock M27 (.40 cal) weight with full mag is 27ozs. Great for hiking.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++