WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Speed on the AT

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

I love the book "a walk in the woods" and I like some of bill ryson other books, such as " I'ma stranger here myself" and "in a sunburned country"....

I assume that If you are thru-hiking and doing big mile days you are not taking the time to meet the characters that are in bill's book ..cause they are out there every year...
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Images

A few comments.

1) One can do big mile days and still meet plenty of interesting characters and see lots of fun stuff on the side.

2) I found Bryson's book amusing, but I can see how people might dislike it and the way the author set about writing it. A big reason that the AT exists and is in the shape it is in is because of volunteers giving their time and money in helping to maintain it. When someone comes along whose intent is solely to make a profit off of this volunteer effort, people are naturally a bit upset about it. Whether or not they should is a different argument. This isn't to say that Bryson's book is the only example; but, it is the most prominent, well known one. If Bryson had made some sort of donation to the ATC, even a token one, the ill will feeling would have been lessened. But, he is under no obligation to do so.

3) Having reread some of the posts that so infuriated Matt, I really don't see any instance of bragging or boasting. I started this thread by asking a simply question out of idle curiosity: How fast has the AT been hiked? People responded factually, not in a boastful manner. Warren Doyle has hiked 12 times. That is a fact, not a boast. It is a remarkable accomplishment and bringing it into this forum does not contitute a boast. Several people did very fast, sub 100 day hikes this year. That is a fact, not a boast. A boast would be a hiker trying to imply that their style of hike was somehow superior or fundamentally better to someone else's hike. For example, implying that a fast hike would be more enjoyable, or that by doing a slow hike, one meets more interesting people or has a better time.

With, perhaps, only one exception, none of the responses in this thread have been rude or otherwise uncivil. A rude statement would be something like correcting Larry's grammar. I'm always amazed at how civil and pleasant this forum is, despite the lack of moderators. For a uncivil read, subscribe to the AT-L.

I think the biggest point of contention is that Walk in the Woods is by far the most well known book about the AT. So I think in a way people might be resentful that the trail is represented by an indvidual who experienced and knew so little about it. I remember they were talking about a TV movie just over a year ago, wonder what happened.

I liked the book. I picked it up between flights in O'Hare back in 99 or 2000. I had thought about doing the AT before but after reading the book I was committed. And I am sure that I was not the only one this happened to.

Images

Originally posted by chris
    A few comments.

A rude statement would be something like correcting Larry's grammar.
    or my spellin
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Images

Default big mile days

Look I have no problem with how anybody wants to hike the trail...big miles, slow , real slow, zero days , no zero days ,, or like I did in 99, when i took two weeks to do the smokies...

but i'm purty sure that you have moe time to gossip and hang out ....if you not doing as many miles.....

no pain, no rain, no maine,

all run, no fun, just get it done...

go slow, let'em go, see the show...

Images

Default Re: big mile days

Originally posted by smokymtnsteve

but i'm purty sure that you have moe time to gossip and hang out ....if you not doing as many miles.....
    Can't you talk while you walk? If I go from Fontana to Gatlinburg in a day and a half, and then spend another day and a half hanging out at the Ripleys museum, don't I spend more time chilling than someone who takes 3 days to hike to Gatlinburg? Of course, I can't imagine a sum that would induce me to voluntarily go into Gatlinburg, but that is another matter.

Besides, I can spend alot more time hanging out and gossiping by sitting in a local sports bar and leering at the students than if I go out hiking.

Images

I guess that's why we should all hike our own hikes....

g'burg and ripley's....????? chillin??? I was thinkin more like...time hanging in nice places along the trail eatin blueberry pancakes and such....

Images

Originally posted by smokymtnsteve

g'burg and ripley's....????? chillin??? I was thinkin more like...time hanging in nice places along the trail eatin blueberry pancakes and such....
    I was just trying to think of the worst place in the US. Speaking of pancakes, there is a place on the PCT in northern California with a pancake challenge. Eat 5 pancakes, and they are free. I believe approximately 4 people have successfully completed the challenge in the 6 or 8 years it has been operating. I didn't go for, opting instead for a bacon double cheeseburger that I could barely finish. Yes, it really did have that much pork on it.

Images

well you got that right as g'burg is the armpit of tn

Default Give Back

Originally posted by L. Wolf
    Go Matt!! I liked Bryson's book. I don't give money to the trail or am I an ATC member.
    Hiking the AT requires several months. Anyone who has done it has benefited from the tireless efforts of many volunteers.

Anyone who does not give back to the trail in some form is a leech. If you are not close to the trail, then at the very least you can support the trail financially by joinging either the ATC or one of the maintaining clubs. And, if you are not close to the AT, then participate with the local trail club in your area. If you are going to the Gathering this weekend, then stay over for the trail work party.

Images

I think one thing about Bill Bryson's book that we have overlooked is that when he was experincing the AT it was in some really bad weather and out of shape. Those things together can really get you down. Once he had done 400 miles and then realised thathe hadn't even gone a fifth of the distnace everything would have got on top of him.

For many people they would not even start the trail if it hadn't been for his book.

I loved his book and it wasn't until I got on the trail that I realised that he missed the whole point of the trail. In fact so much so that I sometimes wonder if he was ever on the trail or not. However it dosen't make me like his book any less.

Having read this thread I am sure I picked a undercurrent of people who have hiked the whole trail and those who have failed.

Personally I feel sorry for those who never made the whole trail but only because they missed out on experince of the trail. However not finishing the trail isn't a metaphore for life. It could just mean you have found out that you really don't like hiking or you can't stand the smell of mouse droppings!

I live 50 yards from the AT. I have done trail maintaining. I have spent hundreds of $ on "magic" and driven thousands of miles giving free shuttles. I pay major amounts of federal tax yearly part of which goes to purchase land to set the AT in stone. Cuz I don't give $30 a year to the ATC makes me a leech? Kiss my a** son.

Images

Default executive directors club

Lone wolf don't you know that all the nonprofit types who can't or don't make a living in the real world NEED your donations so they can pay thier salary?????

Hey mongo. The AT was never conceived, designed or built with a "thru-hike" in mind. Thru-hikers "miss out" on the trail experience.

Images

Mongo personally I feel sorry for folks who don't get to spend whole years running around the smokies and the southern mtns....they miss so much..

Images

Dear Mr Wolf

I disagree, they get a experince just like everybody else. It is just different. Same as the section hiker has a different experince etc etc.

What I meant is that if you have that stated goal of being a thru-hiker then don't complete you miss out on the experince of being a thru-hiker. Personally I found it to be great and so much fun that I wish other people could share in it.

While the AT was not thought about with thru-hikers in mind, things change.

Yeah Baby!

Mongo the very mellow.

Images

Dear Mr Steve

It is true that many will miss this, but for most people this is impossible.

So many places to see before you depart this mortal coil!

Mongo

Great comments Matt ...and thanks Highlander II for mentioning "Hike Your Own Hike."

Images

Mongo,

when you have made over 10 traverses of the southern part of the trail and in every season and type of weather....then you can tell me about trail experiences missed ...thanks

Cool

Sure mongo. Whatever. You da man.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++