WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Regardless of the details, everyone should avoid being an ass whenever they can. Additionally, everyone should try to help ameliorate the effects of bad behavior on the wells we all share...if someone offends the waitress a kind comment or extra tip from someone else (even if they played no part in the incident) goes a long way towards keeping the poison out of the well. To some extent we are are all responsible for eachother.

Default Another way to "Poinson the Well"

A lone hiker checks into a motel, single rate, next thing 4 or 5 more hikers are staying the night too. Next morning, new manager sees the crowd pile into the free breakfast buffet, goes to the room that they had been in, total disaster. Pizza Boxes and Beer containers and a bunch of trash, TP and towels also missing. He discovered the night mgr had let the lone guy pay cash, thus he was stuck without a credit card to charge to. I'll bet the policy of that "Poisoned Well" changed fast. Some motels will inform hikers that there is no room available.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge
    A lone hiker checks into a motel, single rate, next thing 4 or 5 more hikers are staying the night too. Next morning, new manager sees the crowd pile into the free breakfast buffet, goes to the room that they had been in, total disaster. Pizza Boxes and Beer containers and a bunch of trash, TP and towels also missing. He discovered the night mgr had let the lone guy pay cash, thus he was stuck without a credit card to charge to. I'll bet the policy of that "Poisoned Well" changed fast. Some motels will inform hikers that there is no room available.
    I swear to god, I didn't know they were going to bring those pizzas and that beer into my room - I just thought they wanted to use the phone.

They said they were with the band.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    Geez, you're an idiot.
    I would never call you an idiot! I'd suggest that smokin' crack and posting on WB is for the few and far between. You must not know that Jack is all over the trail and has many opportunities to know who this joker is, regardless of being there the night of the incident. You are missing the point in order to make a point that only makes you look like you don't have a clue. Give it a rest there Chief.

every year there seems to be one or two...
    everyone remembers the four pines incident, and more recently the two kids begging for money as early as hiawassee...this happens every year.
    i hiked with an alcoholic quite a bit the year i hiked, he was avoided by most hikers.
    Yes, usually hikers can avoid people like this on trail and be aware of who they are. It is usually no mystery.

I like it best out on the trail, when you can deal with these issues in real time, with those who are hiking the same time/section that you are - news and names travel fast.

That is one of the great things about the social strengths of the trail community is the general consensus of what is OK and not OK about an individual. Folks are quick to "stay away" or pass the word along of someone whose behavior is out of bounds.

This is not always found in society in general, but on trail it seems that it is very important, and a very cool way to live while you are 'out there' on trail. After all there are dangers and situations where it's good to know who you can or can not count on - or who you do or do not want to share a room with, ride with, etc.
    ad astra per aspera

Ridge's comment above (#103) is one hundred per cent on the money.

I saw exactly this sort of thing happening this year in motels in Hiawassee,
    Franklin, Gatlinburg, Pearisburg, and especially Waynesboro. Hell, it happened at the Doyle, where a room is only twenty dollars a night.

Very few facilities or businesses start out being un-friendly to hikers.

This is something they learn.

And guess who their teacher is.

Images

Look at the demographics of the majority of these offenders. I would venture most are 18 to 24. By and large, they are white, college-educated, suburbanite, and affluent. Many of them are offspring of the wealthiest generation this country has ever produced. They have bred into them a sense of entitlement. Most of what they have has been given to them with little or no effort on their own. With this as their foundation, should we really be surprised at the behavior noted in this thread?

I am by no means attempting to excuse the behavior described at the outset of this thread. Nor am I implying all members of this generation share the same ill traits. I simply point out the origins of what so many of us find truly offensive and unacceptable. Until these folks realize the world does not owe them anything, in other words, until they grow up -- assuming they ever do -- they will never view their behavior in any light other than normal.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by D'Artagnan
    Look at the demographics of the majority of these offenders. I would venture most are 18 to 24. By and large, they are white, college-educated, suburbanite, and affluent. Many of them are offspring of the wealthiest generation this country has ever produced. They have bred into them a sense of entitlement.
    The kids (some of my grandchildren are in their mid-20's so anything under 25 is a kid to me) I've met on the trail have not demonstrated troublesome attitudes and behaviors as a general rule. I've had far more trouble from middle age guys who are recently retired from the military. They seem to think that the military trains people in the best way to backpack (best gear, packing methods, techniques) and you had danmed-well better agree or you're a bad American .

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs
    They seem to think that the military trains people in the best way to backpack (best gear, packing methods, techniques) and you had danmed-well better agree or you're a bad American .
    Typical. Can't trust those damn military types. Especially if they're in a hammock.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff
    Typical. Can't trust those damn military types. Especially if they're in a hammock.
    Can't trust any hammock hangers, period.

...or anyone over 30.
    ~~^^^~~^^~^^^~~~^^^^^~^~
    Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it.

Images

I'm married to retired military guy so I know they aren't all like this, but they honestly are the group that I've had the most trouble with on the trail in regard to feeling superior / entitled to special treatment.

Actually, D'Artagnan, it's easy to blame the younger hikers, as they tend to travel in groups, and they tend to extend their town stops.

But the worst thing I heard about in recent years was a thru-hiker assaulting the owner of one of the friendliest motels on the Trail because he claimed she'd mis-placed his maildrop. He's real lucky her husband or sons weren't there at the time, or he'd have been a dead man, plain and simple. The guy in question was a mid-western politician, probably over sixty.

You don't have to be a kid to be a jerk.

Images

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by D'Artagnan
    Look at the demographics of the majority of these offenders. ...
    Actually, I believe a much more common "demographic" is use/abuse of the drug alcohol. Whether mouthing off to a waitress, losing one's own pack, getting one's self killed, or generally being an ass, the recitals on WhiteBlaze of trail problems involving alcohol seem to constitute a demographic of sorts.

I almost said that we'd never know until a study was done, but then I remembered that lots of studies have proven the close connection between alcohol use/abuse and all sorts of social problems.

I suppose the Trail is no different.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man
    Actually, I believe a much more common "demographic" is use/abuse of the drug alcohol. Whether mouthing off to a waitress, losing one's own pack, getting one's self killed, or generally being an ass, the recitals on WhiteBlaze of trail problems involving alcohol seem to constitute a demographic of sorts.

I almost said that we'd never know until a study was done, but then I remembered that lots of studies have proven the close connection between alcohol use/abuse and all sorts of social problems.

I suppose the Trail is no different.

RainMan

Well Rain Man, that's an unusual position to hold considering you recently promoted a hiker feed with free beer.

Seeing how not much is recorded regarding the background of these offenders, sweeping generalizations about their demographics is considerably weak at best.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Both alcohol and drugs tend decrease social inhibitions so it would make sense that people who are under the influence would be arseholes more often than people who aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs
    Both alcohol and drugs tend decrease social inhibitions so it would make sense that people who are under the influence would be arseholes more often than people who aren't.
    That works both ways. For instance, a guy in Germany last week (two weeks ago?) was intoxicated and was handing out his life savings to people.

Ever heard this one, "I love you man, like a brother" *sob*.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

"Alcohol makes you be more honest." Total poppycock.

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji
    "Alcohol makes you be more honest." Total poppycock.
    What I mean is that alcohol affects people in different ways, as has been discussed here on WB in a number of different threads, it does not always amplify your personality or make you more honest. I have to agree with RM that many problems are exacerbated (sp?) by alcohol. But many potentially bad situations have been rescued by people finding common ground in sharing a few beers.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    The guy in question was a mid-western politician, probably over sixty.

You don't have to be a kid to be a jerk.

True, Jack. Incidentally, your post reminds me of a quote I read recently:

"Politicians are like diapers. They should both be changed frequently and for the same reason." -- Anonymous

I agree, not all young people are jerks and not all jerks are young people. (At least I hope not, since I still consider myself young.)
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I am glad that I don't drink...

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++