WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default How to Poison a Well

This is something I want to share with you guys, especially those planning to hike next year.

Last night, I went into a favorite local restaurant/bar, long known to be very hiker friendly. I ran into a friend who's worked there for several years; in the process, she's met and served hundreds of hikers.

A few nights ago, seems there was a large group of close to a dozen hikers who filled up her section. They took up several tables, were a little loud, and naturally stank up the joint, but neither she nor anyone else much cared; as I said, this is a very hiker-friendly place (Anywhere that lets you come in off the street fresh off the Trail WEARING your backpack obviously doesn't have a problem with hikers).

Everyone was having a fine time until it became known to the bar staff that one of the hikers had an expired I.D. Unfortunately, in the eyes of the law, this means it could NOT be used for identification purposes or to buy a drink. I know it sound like a crazy law, after all, it wasn't fake, it was merely out-of-date. But that's one of the things New Hampshire is strict about.....if it's expired, it ceases to be valid, and that's that. Also, being a college town, establishments get spot-checked all the time, i.e. an undercover cop or a State Liquor Inspector will enter a place, flash his badge, and randomly do an I.D. check. Underage patrons, or those with bad I.D.'s can get arrested or fined, but more to the point, so will the restaurant, and SO WILL THE SERVER. In short, some of the places in Hanover have gotten very strict about making sure your I.D. is legit, and they will absolutely not serve you if there's a problem with it. After all, would you risk a $1,000.00 fine for a stranger? No, I didn't think so.

Anyway, this kid had an expired license, and while he whined about it while the law was being explained, it wasn't a real problem. They told him he could still say with his friends as long as he didn't drink. They'd have been perfectly within their rights to say he couldn't legally be in the barroom, but they didn't do this. Instead, they relied on his word.

Big mistake. He was caught drinking out of other people's glasses, and was given a polite warning, in fact more than one. Around the third time this happened, he was told that he had to leave restaurant. He did, after cursing out the waitress and flipping her off. Needless to say, his friends did little or nothing in the way of intervention.

One would think the remainder of the group would have been apologetic, especially since it was their flouting of the rules (slipping him drinks) that had helped get him thrown out in the first place.

Nope.

When the group left, only a handful of them tipped (mainly an older couple); the rest left little or nothing, including several, who on the "Tip" section of their credit card slips, wrote "No!" or "No Way!!"

Really classy. They take up two tables for several hours, stink the place up, have the waitress running around all night taking care of them, and then after putting her job at risk and putting her at risk of getting ticketed or fined by helping their friend break the law, they then do nothing when he curses her out, and then they finish up by insulting her instead of tipping her.

Nice work, guys. You should go into Public Relations!

This is EXACTLY why a lot of places on the Trail do not welcome hiker patronage, and it's exactly why there are lots of places who once did---even to the point of offering hiker discounts or specials---who no longer do so.

There are places that will treat hikers like anyone else.

There are places that treat hikers like kings.

And there are places that will treat hikers like dirt, and guess what? They usually have good reasons for doing so.

My friend kind of laughed this off. She's served plenty of hikers over the years and will serve plenty more. She realizes you can't judge a group because of a handful of a******s. But she did say this: "I could never
    understand why some of the places in town don't like hikers or don't want their business. For the first time, I understand it now."

Pretty sad.

And something for next year's hikers to think about.

Words to the wise:

*No establishment is under any obligation to serve you.
    *Service can be denied for any reason.
    *Lots of places are doing you a favor by serving your stinky self;
    they don't necesarily need your presence or business.
    *If you can't obey local or state laws, then go elsewhere.
    *If you see another hiker, even if it's a friend, who's being a jerk,
    do something about it, and for God's sake, don't HELP him be a jerk.
    *If you have a problem with something, find a manager or owner;
    taking out your problem on a young waitress or bartender is not
    the way to go.
    *You're a hiker, you're not God. Stop feeling so f****** entitled.
    *And for heaven's sake, remember the folks who'll be coming thru after
    you are long gone. They're going to be relying on these businesses,
    whether it's a motel, outfitter, restaurant, whatever. How these folks
    get treated will depend on how previous hikers acted and behaved.
    *In short, don't poison the well. Sooner or later, who knows? You
    might want to drink out of it again yourself.

Images

Great post. Ditto!

Images

It just amazes me how some people don't know how to act in public.

"Who's more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?"
    Official Star Schlep Crew Member

Do-it-yourself pepsi can stoves - $20 each. Amigi'sLastStand's Avatar
    Images

Trail names?
    You are in heaven.

Learn how to tip too. If you are going to sit at a table all night, recognize you are keeping the table from being turned.

If you are part of a large group, the server may only be handling your single group. Don't be a cheapskate.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

hikers suck

the hiker formaly known as Wonderfoot
    Images

As a restaurant worker myself, she had much more patience then I would have........and I've served some real dicks!!!! The laws around liquor are very strict, and can end a servers career or have an otherwise upstanding establishment stripped of their expensive and nessasary liscense. This is not the first I've heard of this type of behavior this year!!!! There is no way that we, as hikers, can keep, gain, or re-gain the respect of the towns that we so dearly depend on if this type of behavior continues. I do realize that there will always be a few bad apples, but come on guys......you made it to New Hampshire......how long have you been acting this way, and how many "wells" have you poisoned?????
    Oh, and as a side note....... servers only make about $2 and hour, and are entirely supported by the tips that they earn. Look at where your anger really lies before taking it out on the poor person just trying to make a living. It's not an easy job.

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...
    Strong and content I travel the open road
    ~Walt Whitman Song of the open road

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

An example of "entitled" behavior rather than following some basic rules and showing some sign of appreciation for services rendered.

Thanks for putting that out here Jack. Shame that it had to happen and hope it didn't permanently sour this establishments attitude toward hikers.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

I'll have to chime in on this one. I took a job as a server to save up and pay for my hike. Jack, your server friend is definitly a good person. I have people come in and do things similar to that. It puts a huge damper on your tips for that night, and your mood.

Sad.

IMHO: Behavior like this is unacceptable - if you are in the company of another hiker who acts like this or doesn't tip - say something or spread the word to others. Why let a few affect the whole hiking community and ruin resources for other hikers in towns?

Hypothetical situation: you are at this table and this situation happened, what would you do?
    ad astra per aspera

Quote Originally Posted by Smile
    Sad.

IMHO: Behavior like this is unacceptable - if you are in the company of another hiker who acts like this or doesn't tip - say something or spread the word to others. Why let a few affect the whole hiking community and ruin resources for other hikers in towns?

Hypothetical situation: you are at this table and this situation happened, what would you do?
    I would have physically removed the little puke IF I had been sitting with those Aholes.

Images

That was my ex husband and his friends.

Does anyone remember the scene where Miss Ceely spits in her father-in-law's glass of ice water?

Quote Originally Posted by Smile
    Sad.

"Hey, she's just doing her job man, no need to give her a hard time. Be glad she wasn't a cop and you didn't get a ticket." I might even add, "It's your own fault dumbass, let's grab a six after we leave. You're buying or else you're going to be thirsty all night!"

"Hey, don't forget to tip the waitress, we took up her tables for a couple hours."
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Catskill 3500 #1575
    Images

Jack, If you can post the name / address of the place and the girls first name i'll mail her a buck. Anybody else?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by STEVEM
    Jack, If you can post the name / address of the place and the girls first name i'll mail her a buck. Anybody else?
    What an idea.
    I'm game.

Images

Very cool gesture! I'm in.
    Official Star Schlep Crew Member

Images

Great idea... I'm in too! Trail-Kharma in action.

TTF

I'll do it!

Quote Originally Posted by STEVEM
    I'm in. Sounds like a good plan to sweeten that well.

Tom

Wow, guys, personally I think that's a lovely idea, but knowing her for several years, I can safely say that's the LAST thing she'd want, which is why I deliberately left out her name, where she works, etc., tho it's not too hard to figure out if you know Hanover.

As she herself said, it's not about the money. It's about respect, and treating people well.....and what you sometimes get back in return.

She's a great person, and this one episode will absolutely NOT affect the way she treats hikers in the future. In fact, there were hikers there last night, and I saw her serve them, with a smile, all evening long. That's her nature.

As one travels the world, one stumbles over the occasional a******, but if my friend's behavior is any indication, you just smile thru it, and keep on about your business. I honestly believe most people are genuinely good, and life's too short to worry about the rest.

The response to this thread is gratifying, and I appreciate the comments made thus far.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++