WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Bivy Sack

Default Bivy Sack

I have come into posession of a military issue gortex bivy sack that I am considering replacing my current 2 person tent with. I am looking for the thoughts and experiences of those who use, or have used a bivy sack for any extended period of time. How do you do normal camp stuff, essentially cooking/eating, without getting gear soaked?

Exclamation I tried a bivy....

I tried to deal with a bivy for a few weeks during my thru. I couldn't deal with it. You really can't do anything other than sleep in a bivy. If the weather is bad, you're pretty much forced to do any cooking at a shelter or out in the weather. If you're dry inside during a storm and nature calls, you're pretty much going to get the inside soaked. Yes, a bivy is light. Yes, I loved the weight savings. But in the end, I switched back to my heavier tent. If you want weight savings, but actually want to be able to do more than sleep, go with a hammock or a tarp tent. I don't think the bivy is worth it.

19K3P4A82A

I used a US GI goretex bivy for a while. That coupled with a good Poncho/tarp works out great. If its going to rain, just stake out the tarp in a flying diamond so it covers your upper body. Lots of ways to use a tarp as I'm sure you already know.

Check out these ways to stake out a tarp at: http://hikinghq.net/gear/tarp.html

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mnof1000v
    I tried to deal with a bivy for a few weeks during my thru. I couldn't deal with it. You really can't do anything other than sleep in a bivy. If the weather is bad, you're pretty much forced to do any cooking at a shelter or out in the weather. If you're dry inside during a storm and nature calls, you're pretty much going to get the inside soaked. Yes, a bivy is light. Yes, I loved the weight savings. But in the end, I switched back to my heavier tent. If you want weight savings, but actually want to be able to do more than sleep, go with a hammock or a tarp tent. I don't think the bivy is worth it.
    Hey Yahtzee-
    OMG - I hate bivies. I've tried 2 different kinds - it's like sleeping in a friggin coffin! It will not accommodate your pack either. Once I got real wet from rain and was very very cold and my friend was trying to warm me up and we almost got stuck in one.
    Nope - bivies suck.
    I'm liking that Henry Shires Double Rainbow tent.

Quote Originally Posted by StarLyte
    Once I got real wet from rain and was very very cold and my friend was trying to warm me up and....
    Any pics???

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

I thought most folks used a tarp with a bivy... I thought about making the switch, but there was no real weight savings in the end - bivy+tarp+ropes came out to about the same weight (close enough anyway) as my one man tent that I could sit up in. I sold my bivy and do not regret it at all!
    So be it.
    --John

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

The bivy I have is from OR (the Bug Bivy) and is mostly netting with a waterproof floor. True that when you add the tarp there isn't really any weight advantage. The only plus I found was that on clear nights you can sleep in the bivy without the tarp and do a little star watching.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Even W/B bivies have SERIOUS condensation problems IMO. Claustrophobic, no room for gear, hot and stuffy. Ugh.

Most people I've seen who use them normally have a very light Ray-Way type tarp as well, and use the bivy if it gets nasty. As a stand alone shelter, bivies kind of suck.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmy
    I have come into posession of a military issue gortex bivy sack that I am considering replacing my current 2 person tent with. I am looking for the thoughts and experiences of those who use, or have used a bivy sack for any extended period of time. How do you do normal camp stuff, essentially cooking/eating, without getting gear soaked?

I have used that bivy alot to include several nights that I had frost on the outside and in a few drenching rains - never noticed a condensation problem. This was with the issue sleeping bags which used Primaloft. If you use it with a poncho as a fly you will like it. You can cook and keep your gear under the fly. This assumes you don't have any deep seated bivy issues as noted in this thread.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

A bivy of almost any brand will be fine for a night or two, but I would still go with a high quality one-man or (what some call) a 1-1/2 man tent. You'll learn fast the bivy is claustrophobic as hell. I gave mine to my brother to keep in his kayak for emergency's.

++ New Posts ++