WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default How many people who finished skipped the approach trail?

It seems like anyone sho skips the approach trail is already looking for shortcuts. I know the trail does not start until the summit but it has more to do with tradition.

I wonder how many people who skipped the 8.8 miles made it to the Big K?
    The heaviest thing I carried was my attitude.
    Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free

Desire is the main ingredient for success

Images

i skipped the approach trail, but then again i also go sobo.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Does it count if you did the approach trail 4 - 5 times in advance of your thru and then just went ahead and started at Springer.

Cuz ...that's what I did in 2003 and I made it to Katahdin.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Frieden and Ed - World Explorer Team frieden's Avatar

We have no intention of doing the approach trail. We do plan on adding some mileage with side trips and blue blazes, in order to see the sights. Not looking for any shortcuts, just want to enjoy the hike.

Images

I originally hadn't planned on doing the approach trail...but it was meant to be.

Due to delayed baggage (my pack) at the Atlanta airport, missing my shuttle to the trail and me exaggerating a lawsuit with Continental Airlines, I had a very unique arrival to the trail. Continental Airlines limoed me to the trail in a big black streeeeetch limo - which was pretty hysterical considering I was in my hiking clothes and the only luggage in the trunk was my backpack. I was talking with the driver who was like 12 feet away - which like something out of a Quentin Tarantino movie.

The only problem was that the driver didn't know how to get to FS 42 and my AT trail map didn't have the radius to cover the surrounding roads. So...he ended up dropping me off at the beginning of the approach trail. I stayed in that shelter the first night. The next morning I headed up the approach trail, and knew that the first chapter of a wild journey had begun.

One memory of the approach trail I have is sitting on a log on the trail about halfway up dumping out every liquid I could find (toothpaste, medical kit stuff, etc.) to get rid of weight. I was thinking to myself, "Holy flamp...and this is just the approach trail..."

Looking back on it, the approach trail is a rite of initiation and it makes arrival on Springer even more exciting.

What is very funny as you hike the approach trail... and you brought too much weight, and your pack doesn't feel comfortable yet, your thighs are burning from the climb, and you didn't know to drink enough... is this moment when you notice actual gear that other hikers have jetisoned from their packs (even sleeping bags!)... and you realize that you SO aren't alone.

My non-painful hiking didn't start until I left Walasi-Yi with a tarp and lekis after sending 16 pounds of unnecessary stuff home. Those first days with the approach trail, Tray mountain and Blood mountain... just had me dilirious with exhaustion.

Everyone's AT story is different - I wouldn't have changed a thing, especially hiking the approach trail.

Happy hiking!

TTF

Default My two data points

2001 - Gravityman and Tuffie (although we didn't have trail names at that point) Hiked approach trail because we were told that's what tradition required. Didn't make it because we were too rigid and didn't want to spend too much time in town, because that's just too easy, but we should have in order to heal a few key problems (GI issues and foot neuromas) but instead punished outselves until they got too bad to ignore.

2005 - Gravity and Danger (renamed from Tuffie) didn't hike approach trail because we were older and wiser. We made it the whole way without blue blazing (other than shelter loops) but we did it our way and made it just fine.

Doing or not going the approach is most likely inconsequential to finishing the trail.

Gravity

Quote Originally Posted by gravityman
    Doing or not going the approach is most likely inconsequential to finishing the trail.

Gravity
    Oh, but my point was, the mindset that lead us to think that we "HAD" to hike the approach was probably the main reason we didn't finish. We were listen to others, essentially hiking other people's hikes, rather than listening to what we wanted, and hiking our own hike. We made it to WV, 1000 miles in, and we were done in from extended injuries. In 2005 we did what we felt was the right thing, and it made the world of difference. We started again at Springer, and this time made it the whole way!

Gravity and Danger

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger
    Does it count if you did the approach trail 4 - 5 times in advance of your thru and then just went ahead and started at Springer.

Cuz ...that's what I did in 2003 and I made it to Katahdin.

'Slogger
    ditto for us.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

At one point I thought that skipping the Approach Trail was probably a bad thing, and that it set a bad precedent. I felt that from a psychological point of view, looking for ways to "cut corners" or make it easier on ones self from the fvery irst day of your trip onwards was a bad attitude to embrace.

In retrospect, tho, hikers are ALWAYS looking for ways to make it easier on themselves, whether it's making sure they're in really good shape when their
    trip begins; or taking the time and trouble to purchase lighter-weight gear; or whether it's searching their packs months into their trips for tiny little things they can do without.

In short, hikers are constantly looking for ways to make things a bit less difficult.

It's probably healthier psychologically (in terms of feeling that you've achieved something significant) to hike Springer from bottom to top, instead of going round back, hiking a mile, and tagging the plaque at the summit, but as to whether or not doing the Approach Trail improves your chances of completion, I'd agree ith Gravityman.

I don't think it matters much at all, and in that a lot of folks suffer thru the first few days on the Trail as it is, perhaps starting the first day's hike with a few pounds less of supplies might not be such a bad idea after all.

On the other hand, I know people whose best friends on the Trail were folks they met at the Springer Mountain shelter. Overnighting on Springer and starting from the summit first thing the next morning is a pretty cool thing to do, and those that skip the Approach Trail generally don't do this.

But to each their own.

Images

Default Why?

Didn't count didn't do it-summited 30 Sep 2000

Images

Thanks for all the feedback. Also, I was not implying that not doing the approach trail diminished the overall hike, I was more looking for state of mind when starting and how that translated in to sucess, if at all.
    The heaviest thing I carried was my attitude.
    Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free

Desire is the main ingredient for success

Wanted to do it, but an overly impressive ice storm convinced me to stay at the Lodge in a warm bed with a wee bit of whiskey and companionship for just one more night packed silly with creature comforts instead. A decision which I blissfully look back on with fond if somewhat hazy memories.

It WAS a bit wierd jogging (or wheezingly stumbling) up Springer, snapping a photo, and then lurching back down Springer to head north, as Jack points out.

At some point I will do the approach trail - maybe when I go out for a November hike this year. Might see if I can join the SOBO's for a week and hit the approach trail on the backside. Had I done it on my thru it may have convinced me to abandon the trail and see a doctor or a mortician before I ever got started. In fact - true story - my training regimen of consuming large quantities of enchiladas and beer - which I adhered to religiously - had me so prepared for the trail that I was winded and gasping for air walking up the two flights of wooden stairs by the falls. Tourists were practically asking me if I needed assistance. I would have snatched a cane from an elderly woman who was viewing the falls as well except I couldn't catch her.

So scratch that "wanted to do it" sentence. And stay in the Lodge.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I wasn't going to do the Approach Trail for my 2007 thru, but since reading posts here on a thread aobut it a while back and considering it takes time to adapt, might as well start adapting right off with Approach Trail! I just believe now it's part of the experience - like the trail that goes to the base camp before the Mt Everest approach, he he

But hey - if you've already done the Approach, that's like sectioning a part of the trail IMO. We are sectioning part of VA which we will then skip over in 2007 so we can summit the K and get back in time for my son to go to community college.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I was with Miss Janet once and we shuttled 2 hikers back to a trailhead they had exited on several days prior. When they got out of the van they walked across the street, I yelled "HEY----northbound is THAT way!" pointing in the opposite direction.

Miss Janet laughed at me and said.....they're touching the last step they made on the AT, they are "tagging" the AT. Even though it was only 20 steps, they had to actually start where they left off.

So whomever the hiker is---purist, section hiker, myself, I think it just depends on the sentimentality of that hiker.

I have never done the approach trail. Twice I went up from USFS 42, spent a few hours up at the top and then started my journey. Eventually I'll make that historic 8.8 mile trek, but when I'm ready.

The wildest way to start a thru hike was the way "JumpStart" did. He parachuted onto the top of Springer, I can't remember the details but I remember he did have more than a few scratches due to the heavy tree cover. I can't think of a wilder way to begin and I've not heard of anyone else doing it. He's probably the only person to ever start from Springer without doing the approach trail or backtracking from the FS road.

Tradition could mean: hiking in heavy cotton/canvas clothes, leather boots, canvas pup tents, staying in all the shelters ( Ed Garvey) (or at least hiking to them all to check them out), on the PCT tradition would mean doing it on horseback, Tradition sucks: HYOH!

I do know that it puts the beat down on ones feet - especially newbs who didn't do any prep - this could be a reason for a higher number dropping out early in the year - but don't think it affects the numbers at the Big K, but who knows, it would be an interesting poll ;-)
    ad astra per aspera

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smile
    I do know that it puts the beat down on ones feet - especially newbs who didn't do any prep - this could be a reason for a higher number dropping out early in the year - but don't think it affects the numbers at the Big K, but who knows, it would be an interesting poll ;-)
    That's an interesting point. If someone is going to quit, then they are going to quit. I do not think that 9 more miles over the course of 2100+ really account for anything.

Having said that I will probibly do the approach trail. If for no other reason to make my trip longer, and give me more time hiking.

One of the biggest problems with the approach trail out of ASP is a lot of hikers get really bad blisters and end up getting off the trail or holding up in a shelter somewhere close to Springer. Some call it quits right off the bat, some torture themselves and make it to Neel's Gap and then bail. Having boots that are broken-in and trail tested is very, very important.

Quote Originally Posted by icemanboston
    It seems like anyone sho skips the approach trail is already looking for shortcuts. I know the trail does not start until the summit but it has more to do with tradition.

I wonder how many people who skipped the 8.8 miles made it to the Big K?
    I'm wondering who feed you this line of BS. My guess is some poor yahoo who couldn't get a ride to Springer. Walking up from the hotel has nothing to do with reaching Katahdin, nothing to do with tradition. Its just a way to pull some greenhorns chain.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++