WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Post NC Mountains-To-Sea trail

This trail will run from Clingmans Dome to Jockeys Ridge on the Outer Banks. Its not all complete yet but most of it is passable. Whats interesting about this trail is that its 934 miles and all contained in one state! Thats almost half the length of the AT! I may do this one as a "warmup" to the AT.

Images

If you look at some of the info on the MTST, you'll realize that most of it is along roads and through towns. Not my cup of tea. In fact, a large section runs along the "Greenway" here in Greensboro - a small road-like bike path.

However, the section that starts around Julian Price Park (BRP) and goes west is mostly trail. I've hiked this from Price Park to the western edge of Linville Gorge and it's awesome.
    Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting. - J. J. Thompson

The last time I checked the MTS trail was only about 1/2 finished. I also remember a heck of a lot of the trail will be asphalt, as in roads. I know they are advertising it as a hike and bike trail, which sounds pretty good if one plans on a combination of the two sports. It really didn't sound like the entire trail was all that suitable for foot travel, maybe my assumption is incorrect.

I will say the portion of trail in Pisgah NF is a really good trail to hike, especially in the Fall. I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351
    If you look at some of the info on the MTST, you'll realize that most of it is along roads and through towns. Not my cup of tea. In fact, a large section runs along the "Greenway" here in Greensboro - a small road-like bike path.

However, the section that starts around Julian Price Park (BRP) and goes west is mostly trail. I've hiked this from Price Park to the western edge of Linville Gorge and it's awesome.
    Dude I was just up there this weekend riding my bike around there. On Owls Roost Trail anyway. Then I biked over to the battleground and rode around it to take some pics. I havent put them on my website yet but soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge
    The last time I checked the MTS trail was only about 1/2 finished. I also remember a heck of a lot of the trail will be asphalt, as in roads. I know they are advertising it as a hike and bike trail, which sounds pretty good if one plans on a combination of the two sports. It really didn't sound like the entire trail was all that suitable for foot travel, maybe my assumption is incorrect.

I will say the portion of trail in Pisgah NF is a really good trail to hike, especially in the Fall. I highly recommend it.
    Do you have a map of this part of the trail? I googled some words but didnt come back with anything.

Default MTS Trail Info/Links

http://www.ncmst.org/mstsections.htm

http://www.carolinamtnclub.com/

http://www.hikewnc.info/trailheads/p.../davidson.html

Remember the MTS trail incorporates other established trails such as the Art Loeb Trail near Brevard and in the Pisgah NF. The above links will get you where you need to be. The Carolina Mtn Club is an AT maintenance club that offer organized hikes on a regular basis, which you do not need to be a member. They also maintain and have constructed some of the MTS in their area. I've take several hikes with them in the past. Nice folks.

Another suggestion. Pilot Mtn on the Art Loeb/MTS trail offers the most spectacular sunrises and sunsets I've ever seen. Very tight spot to camp however.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by blackmath
    Do you have a map of this part of the trail? I googled some words but didnt come back with anything.
    I found some really crappy trail layout maps a long time ago, then overlaid them on my Forest Service maps of the Wilson Creek, Linville Gorge, and BRP sections I was interested in. Surprisingly, it worked out fine...

I'll be happy to get them to you, if I can figure out HOW....I don't know if enough detail would come through on a scan.
    Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting. - J. J. Thompson

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

look up grizzly adams on trailjournals. he hiked the MST last year and has a great journal.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

I can't imagine hiking through Eastern NC. Ugh.

Images

I have a couple of the National Geographic Trails Illustrated maps of the AT and I noticed that the MTS trail was shown on some of those that are around the Hot Springs/Gatlinburg areas. I think the MTS trail is pink.
    "For those who understand, no explanation is needed; for those who do not, none will do." ---Jerry Lewis

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ASUGrad
    I can't imagine hiking through Eastern NC. Ugh.
    I agree,,,,,,, mountains---great, foothills---nice, beach----unique,,,,,, flatlands of eastern NC----doesn't sound appealing to me. Although, one day I'll probably complete the whole MST just b/c it's the "Long Trail" of my home state, NC.

++ New Posts ++