WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

I especially liked Gregoire's quote, "I looked around and there was Wal-Mart, and that just wasn't going to happen." That just about sums it up.

Thanks for posting the article. Ridgerunners sometimes catch a lot of flak, but I believe they serve an important purpose. I'm just glad there are qualified folks willing to take on the responsibility for $8/hour.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Images

On the job, ridgerunners meet "through-hikers," seasoned backpackers who dedicate months to trekking the entire trail.

"They have the scraggly beards, lots of equipment -- pots, maybe, hanging off a pack," Wright said. "You can often smell them coming."

The part where the lost hikers where looking for a water fountain in the article that C.Coyle linked to, reminded me of a group asking me if the shelters had a pay phone. This was back before the Cell Phone explosion.

Images

My Girl Scouts are uniformly shocked to discover that there are no restroom facilities (save privies) along the trail.

Jane in CT

p.s. Thanks for posting the article, I enjoyed it!

Images

Thanks for posting this C.Coyle (like yer new avatar)......

A very special ridgerunner helped me once.

I counted on a water source once and it was dried up so I continued hiking because I didn't want to set up camp and then wake up with no water. It led me into such anxiety. I met an AT Ridgerunner; he stated that all the water sources were dried up in the area and gave me his water. I had to blue blaze. I will never forget him.

I met a new AT Ridgerunner at Blackburn around Memorial Day weekend named Jim, I wonder how he is doing. Anybody seen him? He was a very quiet and gentle man, tall, beard, salt and pepper hair.

many ridgerunners are nice but there are a couple in the smokies who are real pains in the ass. boy scouts. take themselves way too seriously

Images

Thumbs up GSMNP Ridge Runners

I hiked the AT section through Great Smoky Mountain National Park last year. Met two Ridgerunners, one near Fontana and another close Tri-corner Knob Shelter. Very nice guys.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

++ New Posts ++