WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Maps

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Maps

What are you all doing for maps of the AT? We have a few of the ATC maps, basically from Springer to MD border. The maps are good but are these the ones to get or are there others? We like more of the topo variety, not just mapdana kind of thing. Also our ones of the Blue Ridge parkway area are from 1975 (yikes).

Thanks!

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

you don't need maps

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Do a search on past threads for the arguement for or against maps. Plenty on the subject. I ordered the set from the ATC for this year. Before I leave I am going to check to see if there was any major reroutes and get new maps where needed.

The ATC maps are pretty good IMHO. They also have elevation profiles for the length of the trail.

Check on ebay for slightly old maps. a lot of hikers get a set and don't use the second half. I used an old set but let the maps behind in hiker boxes..

Default Go for used map sets.

Check on ebay for slightly old maps. a lot of hikers get a set and don't use the second half. I used an old set but let the maps behind in hiker boxes..

Blissful--

If you decide on a new set, go to www.appalachiantrail.org and go to the section called "The Ultimate Trail Store". Every year, the ATC offers the whole set at a geat discount, usually til around Thanksgiving or so. You'll save further if you're an ATC member, which is a good thing to be.

Others have suggested ways to find used maps inexpensively.

While it is certainly true that the Trail is very well marked indeed, and that it is certainly possible to hike the Trail without them, I for one do not think this is a particularly wise or prident thing to do. There are many threads here dealing with the benefits of travelling with maps and the risks of travelling without them, and I hope you check them out.

Most people skip acquiring maps in order to save money. Based on my experience on the Trail, which is not inconsiderable, I think there are all sorts of better ways to save a few bucks.

Hey Jack - Do you still carry maps, or have you managed to commit the trail to memory?

i repeat -- you don't need maps. here's a news flash for you -- you can just follow the white blazes.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mingo
    i repeat -- you don't need maps. here's a news flash for you -- you can just follow the white blazes.
    I could do without the sarcasm when someone is asking a legitimate question in prep for a 2007 hike. It's comments like these that really don't help the hiking community or the integrity of White Blaze.

I don't use the maps to follow a trail. I use it to check for elevation gains, water sources, and mileage. Maps help plan for areas to tent in where every other Tom, Dick or Harry is not also tenting. And I like to see the terrain in which I am walking and to better plan for the day.

I just wanted to know of there are other map sources besides ATC - which are good maps, BTW.

Hope that clears up the confusion.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

so sorry. helping the hiking community and maintaining the integrity of white blaze are uppermost in my mind at all times

Elevation maps are very handy for planning purposes on any trail, including the AT. Additionally, maps are essential when something bad happens and you need a quick way to a road - and that certainly can and does happen on the AT.

You can choose not to carry them, and will probably be able to mooch off of more prudent folks when the need arises, at least in the south. But there are better ways IMHO to save both money and weight.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mingo
    I'm sorry but I thought that was funny. As Lone Wolf says,"Ya gots ta have a sense of humor."
    I like looking at the trail online using Mapquest. You can basically follow the whole AT and see the topos and back away and see exactly where you are in comparison to major cities, highways, etc.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rumbler
    You can choose not to carry them, and will probably be able to mooch off of more prudent folks when the need arises, at least in the south. But there are better ways IMHO to save both money and weight.
    Not singling out rumbler, just this quote.

If you choose not to carry something that you might/will need just b/c of the weight or cost and go with the thought that you can use someone else's, don't ask to use mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful
    I could do without the sarcasm when someone is asking a legitimate question in prep for a 2007 hike. It's comments like these that really don't help the hiking community or the integrity of White Blaze.

I don't use the maps to follow a trail. I use it to check for elevation gains, water sources, and mileage. Maps help plan for areas to tent in where every other Tom, Dick or Harry is not also tenting. And I like to see the terrain in which I am walking and to better plan for the day.

I just wanted to know of there are other map sources besides ATC - which are good maps, BTW.

Hope that clears up the confusion.
    You are absolutely justified in your reasons for carrying maps. I'd agree that not all water sources are on the maps, and even if they are, they may not be reliable at all times. My map set (Keystone Trails) of PA has lots of other information including local contact phone #s, side trails and points of interest. It has camping and fire rules which are important as you can't always legally just find a soft place and set up your camp.

I always hike with my maps, even on short day trips I've done many times. You just never know.

Having said this, many people don't use maps and enjoy their hikes very much.

And if you ever need to take a peak at mine, I'll be glad to help you out. I'll show you the way to the nearest outfitter where you can buy your own.

Maybe if you don't know how to use maps or understand their value then you could might say they aren't needed. Unfortunately, maps are like a 1st aid kit- they aren't "needed" until you really need them in an emergency. From my experience, the people who say they don't need maps are just too lazy to carry them and are always asking the hikers with the maps: "can I see your map?"

I have been hiking in the Whites for 45 years and know the trails well but I always carry a map of the area I'm hiking in. A map can indicate escape routes in case of an accident or bad weather, and white blazes in a snow storm or whiteout don't mean squat.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart
    Maybe if you don't know how to use maps or understand their value then you could might say they aren't needed. Unfortunately, maps are like a 1st aid kit- they aren't "needed" until you really need them in an emergency. From my experience, the people who say they don't need maps are just too lazy to carry them and are always asking the hikers with the maps: "can I see your map?"

I have been hiking in the Whites for 45 years and know the trails well but I always carry a map of the area I'm hiking in. A map can indicate escape routes in case of an accident or bad weather, and white blazes in a snow storm or whiteout don't mean squat.
    This is the reason I ALWAYS carry extra (food, water, clothing) with me no matter the length of my hike. I've never had any real serious situations, but you never know when it can happen to you.

Better safe than sorry
    Be prepared
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound on cure
    ...insert your own cliche...

Images

Default Wait to buy your maps....

I was inquiring about purchasing the full map set at the ATC, and this is what Teresa (from the ATC) emailed back to me:

....you might want to wait. First, the New
    York-New Jersey maps are being redone (available by September, we hope).
    One or two other maps might be revised this year, but not as
    extensively. Second, we have a tradition each November/December of
    offering all current guides (books and maps) plus the next year's Data
    Book for about 40% off retail. Last year, that package was $190, so you
    get a lot more for a little less.

Teresa L. Tumblin
    Sales Manager
    AppalachianTrail Conservancy
    179 East Burr Boulevard
    Unit N
    Kearneysville, WV 25430
    (304) 728-5143

I feel 100% confident that I could make it the entire way without maps, BUT, I really love reading maps, they give me a sense of where I am within the bigger picture, and I like to know what's coming up so I can look forward to it. It's not about "needing" them so I don't get lost, so I think it's a lot like the option to carry a book for entertainment or a map...only a book probably won't have info on how to get to the nearest town in case of emergency. Happy hiking everyone!
    The Most Important Things In Life Are Not Things....

Images

Get the maps. It does a few things:

In an emergency you can find out what is the fastest way to bail. It helps you find water. Helps you determine elevation gains and losses. Helps you pick campsites. Helps you orient to the places around the trail besides the green tunnel you can only see at times...

You could go without them. But you could also go without brushing your teeth, wearing a helmet on a motorcycle, wear seat-belts, paying taxes, etc. I wouldn't recommend any of these, but some people forgo them and think others are silly for doing so. You decide.

And finally, the trail is free. but it costs money to build, protect, and maintain. Buying maps helps that while giving you a guide to the trail at the same time. You help the trail by getting a set and you help yourself at the same time. What a deal!
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    Get the maps. It does a few things:

And finally, the trail is free. but it costs money to build, protect, and maintain. Buying maps helps that while giving you a guide to the trail at the same time. You help the trail by getting a set and you help yourself at the same time. What a deal!
    Well put Sarge.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I always bring a map on my hikes, but then again I've loved maps since I was a 5-year old, when I showed my mom how water droplets in the sink had coalesced to form an outline of New Guinea.

I've never personally had to use a map for myself in an emergency, but I did get the opportunity to use it to help out another person (story previously posted on another thread awhile back).

In October 2001 I was doing a 5-day hike to fill in a gap in my AT coverage from Front Royal north to Harpers Ferry. Towards the end of Day 3, just north of Sam Moore Shelter and about 3 miles south of Bears Den Hostel, I ran into a teenage girl walking headed SOBO. She wasn't dressed to hike nor did she have any equipment, and it was going to be dark in few hours and there were no real road crossings for another 10 miles. As I always do, I stopped to chat, and asked where she was headed. She said her friends had dropped her off at the road and she was walking back home to a town east of the ridge that I had remembered seeing on the map. I told her that I thought she was heading the wrong way, but she insisted this was the right direction. I had to pull out my map to show her where we were and where she was dropped off before she was convinced and turned around.

I tried to keep up with her but she obviously felt pressed for time and I lost her on the uphill to the hostel. Nice to know that I saved her a cold night in the woods, along with a search & rescue team.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++