WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

:banana How many days of food do I need to carry at once?

I know there are many towns on the AT and buying food isn't an issue, but how many days of food do I need to haul at once (on average)? What are the longest stretches of trail with no town or store? How many days of food is that? Finally, are there any stores or towns I should avoid?

on average, two or three days food is enough. carry as little as possible so you can go light. it doesn't take very long to hitch into town to resupply. i can't think of any towns that i'd necessarily avoid, unless it's gatlinburg

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

On my thru in 2003 the most I ever carried was 6 days worth and the least was 4 days worth. Depends a lot on your pace and re-supply plans.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

And what were your favorite foods to carry? I've seen lists, but like to know what you preferred.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I averages about 5-6 days depending on sections and who I met. Be as flexible as possible with your itinerary to maximize good times with good people - you don't want to have to be jetting into towns all the time (hitching can be a major delay) and bring a little extra food in case you want to take a chill day.

Baltimore Jack recently posted an EXCELLENT overview of popular resupply points for the entire trail (4 part series). I think this will answer many of your questions. Jack left out Rusty's Hardtime Hollow on the Blue Ridge Parkway - don't miss this!

Happy hiking!

TTF

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Time To Fly 97
    Baltimore Jack recently posted an EXCELLENT overview of popular resupply points for the entire trail (4 part series).
    Happy hiking!

TTF
    Here's the B. Jack article link for part one. The series of articles is found on the left-hand side of the home page under articles/re-supply.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

I am only a section hiker and the longest i have ever been out up to now is 10 days because that is all i can get off work. That being said, I do enjoy the way that my pack gets lighter as I eat. I usually try to plan a 4 day resupply after 6 days. I also always plan my meals from heaviest to lightest. I cant wait until 6 years from now when i can be planning 4 day resupplies for my thru hike.

For the entire trail the average is probably 5 days at a time, but 1st you have to figure out your daily mileage. I wouldn't suggest much more than 8-10 in GA as you'll just be breaking in. That would call for 4 days from Springer to Neel's Gap, NG to Hiawassee, H to Franklin (free shuttles, cheap rooms) ect. From there to NOC (right on the trail) is only 2-3 days, NOC to Fontana 2-3, Smokies 5-7 unless you're going into Gatlinburg. By the tme you get to Hot Springs you should know how many miles a day you can do comfortably and plan your resupplies from there as you go.

Default you will die

if you dont pack exactly this .
    bagles,pepperoni,cheese,raman,mac and cheese,snickers,coffie,butter,oatmeal,poptarts,
    nuts,fruit,chocolate,salt,potatoes,tuna,tortillas,
    lentles,jerky,sour candy,ginger root and garlic.

death will find you to be sure.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by Time To Fly 97
    I averages about 5-6 days depending on sections and who I met. Be as flexible as possible with your itinerary to maximize good times with good people - you don't want to have to be jetting into towns all the time (hitching can be a major delay) and bring a little extra food in case you want to take a chill day.

Baltimore Jack recently posted an EXCELLENT overview of popular resupply points for the entire trail (4 part series). I think this will answer many of your questions. Jack left out Rusty's Hardtime Hollow on the Blue Ridge Parkway - don't miss this!

Happy hiking!

TTF
    Jack left out Rusty's for a good reason. It ain't all that.

Images

sounds like an at service is being black listed....even if it aint all that.. shouldn't it be listed?

Images

It is listed in Companion, Thru-Hikers Handbook, and probably other places.

Jack's article was just his advice. I guess Rusty's isn't a place he advices if he didn't list it.

BTW, I have no opinion on the place - I've never been there. Just pointing out that this wouldn't be blacklisting a place, I am sure there are lots of other services Jack didn't mention by name too.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

The longest section is The 100 mile wilderness in M'E but there is the "the White House Landing in the middle of that... But it takes a half a day to resupply there.. They have one of the best, if not the best burger on the trail there...... The longest section I did was the Smokeys without going to Gatlinburg....

Images

Be prepared. Bring some extra in case something, God forbid, happens.

I enjoy Ramen with my own spices and a little beef jerky thrown in.

Also good is instant oatmeal with chocolate covered rasins added.

I always carry peanut butter and just eat it plain or on an energy bar to quickly boost blood sugar levels.

Default mr supper primium happy time hour has it right.

see how he used creativity combined with starvation and unlimited fat alowence to create his concocktions? this is what im talkin bout.slather the nut butters, bagel up and chow down. go crazy american!
    matthewski

Images

get a refillable tube and put in some peanut butter and honey or molasses. You can also add powdered milk but it had side effects. Mainline that crap for a quick high.
    The heaviest thing I carried was my attitude.
    Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free

Desire is the main ingredient for success

I have gotten a lot of nutrition info from nutritiondata.com I have managed to cram 3000 calories a day in just under 1.5 lbs of food, its breaks down to something like 60% carb, 20% fat, 20% protein, obviously, you can juggle and whatnot.

Just a thought.
    -Omar Morales
    Future AT hiker

I just re-read this thread.

Dawn Treader is mistaken, no place or service is "blacklisted" in my article. I made it a point NOT to speak negatively about any place, even when there are absolutely places that I do not choose to patronize for various reasons.

First off, the article deals mainly with Re-supply, Food, and Mail. So a lot of lodging places and hostels aren't mentioned, because hostels aren't the main focus of my article. If Re-Supply was available at Rusty's, I'd have probably mentioned it.

Rock is equally correct when he says that there are lots of places I don't mention in the article, and for good reason. There are literally hundreds of places to shop, re-supply, or lodge, on or near the Trail, and there's no way I could possibly cite all of them.

Not being mentioned in the article is not necessarily an indication of negative feeelings towards a facility or business, and my omitting Rusty's from my article should not be construed this way. There are plenty of folks who have a great time there. There are some who don't. I don't stay there anymore, mainly because I prefer to take time off 20 miles later in Waynesboro, where there are motels, restaurants, and other services.

I thought I made this quite clear in the preface to my article, but in case Dawn Treader or anyone else questions this, here's what I wrote:

"....on the very rare occasions where I omit a service provider or do not give a glowing refernce or recommendation, this is based on personal experience. However, it should be pointed out that everyone has different perceptions of different places, so try and keep an open mind. Merely because I don't mention a particular place doesn't necesarily mean there's anything wrong with it.....it is inevitable that I'm going to leave some places and busineses out of this article and it should not be inferred that thisis deliberate, or intended to steer folks away from anywhere."

So much for the accusations of "blacklisting" anyone.

I never carried more than 6 days of food and usually only had around 3 days worth. I always carried lots of extra candy bars, and it never hurt to have an extra bag of gummie worms.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++