WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Definition of cold/warm sleeper

I've always been interested in folks definition of being a cold or warm sleeper. If you're a cold sleeper do you mean that you tend to like a colder environment to sleep in thus not requiring a lower degree rating of a sleeping bag as would a "warm sleeper?"
    Thanks
    (hard to imagine the word cold while it reached 131F here in Iraq today)

Pilgrim of Serendipity

Ouch.... 131! Hotter 'n' Texas!

I've always understood "cold sleeper" to mean someone who feels too cold easily, and thus needs a warm sleeping bag (with a temperature rating lower than the surrounding air temperature) while a "warm sleeper" stays warm easily while sleeping and may be all right with a sleeping bag not rated down to the surrounding air temperature.

I'm definitely a cold sleeper. I may be ok with cool temperatures as long as I'm awake and moving around, but when my body rests, its temperature drops sharply and I'll wake up shivering. Pile on the blankets!

Quote Originally Posted by illusionistG
    I've always been interested in folks definition of being a cold or warm sleeper.
    I call myself a cold sleeper because in a 20 degree rated bag I am comfortable only down to 30 degrees. And thats wearing a hat, etc.

Images

131 degrees ...

Hotter'n a three balled tomcat in a sandstorm!

TTF

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

The difference between a X and current relationship.............i've been told

Images

For some reason as yet unknown to science, warm sleepers tend to marry cold sleepers. So they always come as a matched set. (You could look it up!)

A warm sleeper (me) doesn't use the covers even in the winter; wants the ceiling fan turned on 'high' all year; and is warm well below a good sleeping bag's rated temperature.

A cold sleeper (guess who) is cold even in the summer, wears fleece to bed all year, and requires a MUCH warmer bag than the conditions might suggest.

I only wish I were kidding <g>.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Default I consider myself a cold sleeper

I can be burning up hot when I go to bed, but within 20 minutes, my body temp drops like crazy and I get chills and goose bumps if I don't put my down comforter over at least my upper body. I bought a 20-degree western mountaineering bag, bag liner, hat, gloves, smart-wool socks, buff head wrap, and mid-weight patagonia thermals that I'll wear to bed on cold nights. I'm really hoping that will keep me warm enough for my March 15 start next year. I'll even wear my micropuff vest if I have to. If that all doesn't work, I'll put boiling water in my water bottles and put those in my bag w/me and completely immerse myself in my bag.

Anyone who considers themselves a cold sleeper have an opinion on whether or not I'll be warm w/this set-up? Oh, I've also got a thermarest ridgerest full length pad (closed cell).
    The Most Important Things In Life Are Not Things....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Michele
    If that all doesn't work, I'll put boiling water in my water bottles and put those in my bag w/me and completely immerse myself in my bag.
    If this step fails to improve your warmth in your sleeping bag, I don't know what will.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Images

Default I agree....

Quote Originally Posted by ed bell
    If this step fails to improve your warmth in your sleeping bag, I don't know what will.
    That's exactly what I'm thinking. If I'm not warm after all of that....then I must have blood that is 1/2 ice or something...or maybe I'm a vampire and I just don't realize it.

Images

Michelle,

My lovely wife, Dragonfly, who is the coldest sleeper on the planet, thinks you need a warmer hat. A windbloc fleece hat from Mountain Hardwear or O.R. would fit the bill. I like having a balaclava to cover my face on really cold nights.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Default pain threshold, mindset, bag rating

i can sleep in cold without much. but i can also freeze in cold with a heavy bag. it all depends on my mind set and my conditioning at any given point. all us smokers can improve our condition in regards to comfort. i think were all the same . the varyation is due to condition. we are all capable of a wide range of comfort tolerences.circulation is critical . alot of us have damaged circulatory systems. from industrial work . ive been wearing a mask at work for years. im allways in dust of some sort. these stresses on our systems can in some cases make us cold sleepers.my bag is -20. i was cold in the smokeys one night at 18 degrees.and hot three nights at about 20.
    matthewski

i love sleeping in the cold

i sleep with my windows open during winter.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky
    For some reason as yet unknown to science, warm sleepers tend to marry cold sleepers. So they always come as a matched set. (You could look it up!)
    I think that is because men tend to marry women. (I know, there are exceptions.)

My wife is always easy to spot at the beach. She's the one wearing the sweater.

But it's my daughter that I can't understand. In the winter, she is colder than anyone; in the summer, she is hotter than anyone.

Images

I consider myself a hot sleeper with a slow starting furnace . I freeze when I first get in my sleeping bag and for another hour or so. It doesn't matter whether I am wearing fleece, wool or down booties on my feet. I use a mummy bag and know all the tricks. My feet and hips are ice cubes. About 2 or 3 hours after getting in my bag I start the flapping routine to let out steam.

One issue that plagues both Smokestack and myself is the insulation under our feet. We travel with a 3/4 thermarest for our older creaking torso and use a full-length z-rest for foot coverage. This is suitable unless we are camping at 20 degrees or below. If you sleep cold, be sure you have your feet well insulated.

If I am going to be out in really cold weather and it is convenient I take those chemical handwarmers that the hunters use and put them in between my hiking socks and spare socks for about an hour before bedtime. This does seem to help. Those stating they stay warm for 12 hours do stay warm all night. Don't put them against your skin as they really do get warm enough to burn you. If you have a real cold problem, pack a couple of these as an emergency. Placing one near the back of your neck in the folds of a turtleneck shirt really keeps you warm also.

Mother Nature
    Sue Buak

Anyone ever spotted one of these ???? "three balled tomcat"

bigcranky's assessment is right on. As soon as I jump into our kingsize bed I can already feel the "inferno zone" emanating from my wife's other side, and I know it isn't a reaction to my emanating phermonal arousal !!!!!

Appreciate the input and discussion. Can't wait to return from the real hot zone and get back into White Mtns.

BTW...I almost dropped a "crabby patty" in my pants reading some of the comments. Thanks..it keeps the spitits up over here !!!!!

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

A warm sleeper (me) doesn't use the covers even in the winter; wants the ceiling fan turned on 'high' all year; and is warm well below a good sleeping bag's rated temperature.

A cold sleeper (guess who) is cold even in the summer, wears fleece to bed all year, and requires a MUCH warmer bag than the conditions might suggest.

I only wish I were kidding <g>.
    It's as if you are watching my wife and me... Are you Big Brother?

This is my understanding of the definitions as well. I consider myself a warm sleeper - I wake up at 3 AM almost sweating and my wife is bundled up under two blankets and two dogs with her teeth chattering. I can feel the heat radiating from her side of the bed and have invested in a Chillow to help me dissipate the heat I generate.
    </g>
    So be it.
    --John

Images

Default Hey Dragonfly

Michelle,

My lovely wife, Dragonfly, who is the coldest sleeper on the planet, thinks you need a warmer hat. A windbloc fleece hat from Mountain Hardwear or O.R. would fit the bill. I like having a balaclava to cover my face on really cold nights.
    So the hat I have is a Wigwam Thermolite Skull cap that is really long, so I can pull it down. Do you think that this cap + the buff (which can be used as a balaclava will be ok, or should I get a heavier duty cap? Here's a link to my cap. Thanks!
    http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...cat=REI_SEARCH

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Michele
    I can be burning up hot when I go to bed, but within 20 minutes, my body temp drops like crazy and I get chills and goose bumps if I don't put my down comforter over at least my upper body. I bought a 20-degree western mountaineering bag, bag liner, hat, gloves, smart-wool socks, buff head wrap, and mid-weight patagonia thermals that I'll wear to bed on cold nights. I'm really hoping that will keep me warm enough for my March 15 start next year.
    That's why I went for a 15 degree bag - as I sleep cold also. I think I may change my hat though. I love the one I have, but I don't know if it's warm enough.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I am a cold sleeper (cold when it's 25 deg. and i'm in a 20 deg. bag)
    i think i'm this way because i have about 5% body fat. I think skinny people are generally cold sleepers and vice versa for fat folks.

After sleeping out in the cold ,night after night you sort of get used to it...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++