WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Yellow Jacket
    Images

Default Trail Days VA trip...

My brother and I are thinking about paying a short visit to Trail Days this year while we are on a 3-4 day trip in VA.

Right now I'm thinking....

Arrive at Damascus on the May 14th, or 15th. Get a shuttle to Dickey Gap, or Fox Creek. Hike back. Either along the AT or one of the parallel trails in the NRA.

I've heard from our local outfitter's thru-hiker ('99) that this is a really nice area in VA. Your thoughts? Anything I should go out of my way to see in the area? I don't have to stay on the AT.

After reading the short blurb on Damascus in the Companion, seems like MRO is my best bet for parking and a shuttle. Are there other options? I'm concerned that parking and shuttle services might be an issue given that Trail Days is going on at the same time.

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Default I'm sure there a lots of nice trails in VA...

However that is not the time to leave the AT. Hiking thru the Grayson Highlands at that time of year, foaling, is not to be missed. Beautiful. Not sure of your hiking abilities but hiking from Massie Gap back to Damascus can be done in 2-3 days.

IMHO - It is one of the nicest spot on the trail.

Hammock Hanger
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Graysen Highlands is definately a highlight of the section. You can hit the high point of VA if you are into that. It really is a cool section of the AT. Rhododendrin Gap was one of my favorite spots on the trail too. We had a great sunset there.

Due to traildays you will have different options available for shuttles. Although the outfitters maybe really busy, you can likely find a hitch out to where you want to go. Otherwise I would call the outfitters in advance, but outfitters do cost money and hitching is free.

Have fun, I am hoping to do a similar trip this year but am not sure if the funds are there yet.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

don't miss backbone rock!
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Sounds like we might have a hit. Now I just have to resolve the shuttle/parking issue.

HH;

Thanks for pointing out Massie Gap, that might be a good option if we end up with a shorter weekend than is currently planned. Given that it is within the state park, I ought to be able to find a shuttle/lift out there as well.

Free park and free shuttle from my place. I live in town.

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Default lots of help will be out there...

Lone WOlf has offered. I will be there with a vehicle as well, ask around for me if ya need something. I'll be camping out. HH
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Yellow Jacket
    Images

LW;

Thanks for the offer. I'll get in contact with you as the date approaches.

Yellow Jacket
    Images

LW;

I sent you an email (not sure if you got that), and a private message with my contact information and our plans.

Let me know how to get to your place (looks like I'd arrive from I81 along RT58).

Thanks again for the offer.
    Tony

Got you covered.

GA-ME 3/5/02 -8/14/02
    Images

Speaking of trail days, is it worth a twelve hour ride in the car from NH to only be able to attend on Thursday and Friday, and maybe part of Saturday? Just asking becuase we need to zip back up here for a wedding, but we really would like to go and see everyone, and bike the Creeper trail, etc... just wondering if we should put forth the effort of the drive to miss out on Saturday night and Sunday...
    "It's a dangerous business, going out your door...if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to."-The Hobbit

Default Trail Days

Most of the activity is on Saturday. There is the talent show in the morning that is not to be missed, and the hiker parade in the afternoon.

Frankly, I question if the 12 hour ride is worth it. I'd much rather go to the Gathering.

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Gathering?

Images

In October. Lots of fun. Lots of information. Lots of drinking. This year it is in Hanover. See the ALDHA site for information on it.

Jumpstart, life is short. Of course it's worth the drive and time to come down for the Daze. Most weddings end in divorce. Your hiking family means more. The Gathering is for fuddy duddies. Too serious.

Originally posted by Lone Wolf
    Jumpstart, life is short. Of course it's worth the drive and time to come down for the Daze. Most weddings end in divorce. Your hiking family means more. The Gathering is for fuddy duddies. Too serious.
    Both events are what you make of it. To me, Trail Days was too much underage drinking and party. At the Gathering, it's a chance to meet the living legends of the trail, and to meet the people who hike to live.

Jumpstart, speaking as a fellow New Hampshire-ite, this will be my third commute to trail days as a "civilian" from this state. Oddly enough, I am in the same predicament as you with a wedding to go to on Sunday. Trail Days can be worth it, but like most vacations, is what you make of it. I'll be combining this years trip with a hike (as I did last year when I hiked from the Highlands), so even if the folks from '01 aren't about (dare I even wish for a few '99ers??) it'll still be a memorable trip.

Sure, there's a lot of drunken debauchery going on down in Damascus, but if that isn't your thing there are always plenty of peaceful folks to hang out with. Not to mention the spiffy movie theater in nearby Abingdon (Matrix Reloaded, anyone?)...
    "I too am not a bit untamed, I too am untranslatable,
    I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world." - W. W.

obligatory website link

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Originally posted by Peaks
    To me, Trail Days was too much underage drinking
    Underage? I would assume most hikers are "of age". Are there really that many under 21? Or are there a bunch of underage locals that show up to the event?

Default They weren't hiking

Originally posted by tlbj6142
    Underage? I would assume most hikers are "of age". Are there really that many under 21? Or are there a bunch of underage locals that show up to the event?
    I seemed to be surrounded by local youth out for the weekend. Granted, there were plenty of hikers there. But there were also many local youth just out for the weekend to party.

GA-ME 3/5/02 -8/14/02
    Images

Thanks for everyone's input, especially the reality from Lone Wolf that life IS short We solved our problem: bought plane tickets to Nashville to visit one of the guys we thru-hiked most of the trail with, and we're all going to drive to Damascus together! Killing two birds with one stone, guaranteeing that we will see the few people we really wanted to see, and we give ourselves a little extra time to stay around for most of Saturday. Plane tickets weren't that cheap, but it's once a year, right? See you there!
    "It's a dangerous business, going out your door...if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to."-The Hobbit

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++